Overall, this is one of the nicest resorts we've been to in a very long time. We normally travel to Mexico and the Caribbean at least 1-2 times a year and my impression of this hotel is among the best (not including the higher end adults-only places).
To start at the beginning, the ride from the airport is an easy 20-30 minutes. The check in process was incredibly efficient, our room keys, restaurant coupons and bracelets were all prepared in a waterproof pouch ahead of time and were waiting for us when we arrived. Even though we forgot to bring our Apple vouchers, the hotel was able to locate the e-mail from Apple and complete everything in just a couple of minutes while a waiter immediately brought us drinks from the lobby bar. Because we are travelling with children, we had asked to be moved from our original 3rd floor room down to the ground floor and that was also done almost immediately. One thing I really appreciated is that the bell-boy wheeled our luggage along with us as we were going to our room instead of delivering it at some later time like it's done in many larger resorts.
We had booked a privileged room in order to be closer to the beach and were not disappointed. The room is not large, but very comfortable and many small details are well thought through, such as reading lights that offer very focused beam just large enough for a book, allowing everyone else in the room sleep (especially useful with children), louvered closet doors so that the clothes never got that musky smell, umbrellas, bathrobes, etc. I would say that the only modification I would make is to put in an extraction fan in the bathroom since it can get really musty and humid in that small space, but it's a very small matter. The beds were very comfortable, with good quality linens, and the hotel offers a pillow menu.
There have been so many review about the beach that it's really not worth noting, but I can attest that they are all true and the beach is spectacular. One thing that surprised me was the pool. Generally I'm not at all a pool person especially with such a spectacular beach on the premises, but the weather during our stay made the beach unusable for about 1/2 our stay. This pool was just wonderful for the kids, there are 2 sides with beach entry into the pool and even my 2 year old felt confident stepping into the water on his own. There is also a lap pool that is separated from the rest by large concrete pillars and several deep areas that my older one used for cannonball contests. The absence of a swim-up bar is a plus to me since I always wonder at the people sitting there all day drinking but not leaving their bar-stool... (you know what I mean) and it also makes for a quieter and more relaxing atmosphere around the pool.
The food ranged from just above average to spectacular. The buffet for breakfast and lunch was very extensive and varied and all the food extremely fresh. I saw employees with thermometers on several occasions testing that the cold and hot items were at the proper temperatures. We ate at the a la carte restaurants for dinner every night and it's hard to pick a favorite, possibly the Italian and the Tapas. The service everywhere was very good, from the waiters at the buffet to the head waiter at the Tapas restaurant that personally carried our table out the balcony because we wanted to dine alfresco. I was surprised by the quality of their house wine, it is Spanish and very decent. Normally we order a bottle of wine with dinner, but found it unnecessary here and drank house wine with meals.
The resort itself is just incredibly beautiful, the grounds, landscaping, building, fountains are all meticulously kept up and it's just a pleasure to take a walk around. The architecture is Mexican eclectic and the colors complement the landscaping perfectly. There were some instances where I would just stop and stare at how the morning light comes into the courtyard.
Writing this review I feel like I should start making reservations for our next trip. I definitely recommend this hotel, especially to families.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Catalonia Playa Maroma is situated in the Mayan Riviera, at only 35 kilometers south of Cancun and 20 kilometers north of Playa del Carmen. Regarding to the Travel Channel, Playa Maroma is one of the most beautiful beaches of the world. The typical Mexican decoration with its vibrant colors and palapa roofs surrounded by the native jungle make this resort the perfect place to spend a wonderful vacation. The Mayan World has to offer a lot to its visitors. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Ebookers, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Catalonia Playa Maroma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Playa Maroma Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Catalonia Playa Maroma Del Carmen
- Playa Maroma