“Beautiful, Hidden Gem, planning next vacation alrady!”

Catalonia Playa Maroma
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 8 May 2010

We traveled May 2-7th to the Catalonia and had an amazing time! With that, we got a privledged room in the 4000 building. The room was very clean, king size poster bed, very comfortable, complete with a "pillow menu" to customize your sleep! The mini bar had water, and aside from the restaurants that was the only place to get bottles of water. We had a balcony with a view of a very authentic looking Mexican courtyard. All of the landscaping was very beautifully done, there were always people working on one thing or another. The hotel is located very far back from the main road, and you feel like you're going into the middle of nowhere, but then you see a spacious, gorgeous lobby that takes you to the main walkway, where you are flanked on either side by natural greenery and it is very beautiful. Pictures can't come close to capturing this, especially when you hear the delicate music that they have piped in! The food is amazing, buffets plentiful, great variety, very tasty (and we are very picky about food), much better then expected. Only downfall of the main buffet is that it is not air conditioned, and that could be very uncomfortable. The indoor restaurants are air conditioned. Italian restaurant is not to be missed, (ate there 2x...BEST Carrapicio) free house wine that was excellent, and a decent wine menu (extra $), and a Mexican restaurant that was also very good, Wonderful Tapas restaurant that was also included in the priveleged reservation, super romantic atmosphere, and just excellent service in all places.
The beach is just absolutely beautiful. Words cannot say enough. We walked very far both ways, and Catalonia has the best by far. There are waitstaff that come around for drinks, but not all that often. Not a big deal. Pool is great, we did go to the spa and had a nice time, too. You could choose to have your services in the secluded "garden" setting, (we did-great), or there is a spot on the beach. One of our favorite parts would have to be the hammocks, swinging in the sand looking at the beautiful water, was paradise!
One word of caution, at the Cancun airport there are "travel agents" who are very nice and try to learn about you and your vacatuion desires, and lure you into very lengthly "vacation club" or timeshare proposals. I guess if you don't value your time while on an amazing beach in a beautiful resort, you can score, say zip line tickets or something, but it really is a HUGE waste of time.
Other wise, my husband and I would go back in an instant and are already planning to next year!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vacastaca

Reviewed 7 May 2010

I've stayed in the caribbean multiple times, and this trip was one of the most enjoyable.
The hotel staff are amazing- everyone that we encountered during our stay was pleasant and more than happy to respond to any requests we had- especially Carlos at reception. The entertainment staff also were very welcoming and a pleasure to spend time with- they helped make our stay a lot of fun.
The hotel rooms were clean and spacious, and we never heard our neighbors.
The beach is gorgeous, with the water being clear of rocks and coral. There are plenty of lounge chairs.
The hotel is about a 20 minute drive from Playa del Carmen- you can either take a cheap cab there or free transportation offered by the hotel twice daily.
I would be happy to return to this hotel, no doubt!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank travel_lots_2010
Reviewed 6 May 2010

Overall, this is one of the nicest resorts we've been to in a very long time. We normally travel to Mexico and the Caribbean at least 1-2 times a year and my impression of this hotel is among the best (not including the higher end adults-only places).

To start at the beginning, the ride from the airport is an easy 20-30 minutes. The check in process was incredibly efficient, our room keys, restaurant coupons and bracelets were all prepared in a waterproof pouch ahead of time and were waiting for us when we arrived. Even though we forgot to bring our Apple vouchers, the hotel was able to locate the e-mail from Apple and complete everything in just a couple of minutes while a waiter immediately brought us drinks from the lobby bar. Because we are travelling with children, we had asked to be moved from our original 3rd floor room down to the ground floor and that was also done almost immediately. One thing I really appreciated is that the bell-boy wheeled our luggage along with us as we were going to our room instead of delivering it at some later time like it's done in many larger resorts.

We had booked a privileged room in order to be closer to the beach and were not disappointed. The room is not large, but very comfortable and many small details are well thought through, such as reading lights that offer very focused beam just large enough for a book, allowing everyone else in the room sleep (especially useful with children), louvered closet doors so that the clothes never got that musky smell, umbrellas, bathrobes, etc. I would say that the only modification I would make is to put in an extraction fan in the bathroom since it can get really musty and humid in that small space, but it's a very small matter. The beds were very comfortable, with good quality linens, and the hotel offers a pillow menu.

There have been so many review about the beach that it's really not worth noting, but I can attest that they are all true and the beach is spectacular. One thing that surprised me was the pool. Generally I'm not at all a pool person especially with such a spectacular beach on the premises, but the weather during our stay made the beach unusable for about 1/2 our stay. This pool was just wonderful for the kids, there are 2 sides with beach entry into the pool and even my 2 year old felt confident stepping into the water on his own. There is also a lap pool that is separated from the rest by large concrete pillars and several deep areas that my older one used for cannonball contests. The absence of a swim-up bar is a plus to me since I always wonder at the people sitting there all day drinking but not leaving their bar-stool... (you know what I mean) and it also makes for a quieter and more relaxing atmosphere around the pool.

The food ranged from just above average to spectacular. The buffet for breakfast and lunch was very extensive and varied and all the food extremely fresh. I saw employees with thermometers on several occasions testing that the cold and hot items were at the proper temperatures. We ate at the a la carte restaurants for dinner every night and it's hard to pick a favorite, possibly the Italian and the Tapas. The service everywhere was very good, from the waiters at the buffet to the head waiter at the Tapas restaurant that personally carried our table out the balcony because we wanted to dine alfresco. I was surprised by the quality of their house wine, it is Spanish and very decent. Normally we order a bottle of wine with dinner, but found it unnecessary here and drank house wine with meals.

The resort itself is just incredibly beautiful, the grounds, landscaping, building, fountains are all meticulously kept up and it's just a pleasure to take a walk around. The architecture is Mexican eclectic and the colors complement the landscaping perfectly. There were some instances where I would just stop and stare at how the morning light comes into the courtyard.

Writing this review I feel like I should start making reservations for our next trip. I definitely recommend this hotel, especially to families.

3  Thank HEK333
Reviewed 5 May 2010

Just got back from 5 days at Catalonia. Our trip was scheduled after a long, cold winter. Last minute family health problems lead me to go on my own. I have traveled solo before, and have no problem with it. Read lots of reviews and there were no surprises. Loved just about everything--except the wind, which was constant and really strong for several days. No fault of Catalonia. The beach is excellent, staff attentive, grounds were beautiful & clean. Food was great--only problem there was too many choices. Great problem. I had a Privleged room (in 6000 building) that looked out over the ocean & pool, it was comfortable and well appointed. Lots of European folks, all friendly, a few smokers but it was never a problem. Big surprise was having a world class massage. I am a "massage snob" and Alicia was very good. The spa it self could use a bit of an upgrade. It would be nice if they had a quite place on the beach for massages, as that is my favorite. Took a day trip to Chichen-Itza--amazing! On the whole, a super value, a great place for couples, families or a girl trip. I will definately try to get back with my husband next year.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank renwick01fos
Reviewed 4 May 2010

My husband and I stayed here from April 24 - May 1. As in another recent review, you certainly don't need a "privileged" room to enjoy this hotel. We were in a regular room (5221) and found the room to be spacious, with a very comfortable mattress and a mini-fridge that was stocked every day with soda and water. We really couldn't figure out what all the hype is about a "privileged" room vs. a regular room. The only thing we didn't have in our room was an iron and ironing board. When I asked at the front desk about obtaining an iron and board, they told me that they "do not have them" and if you want anything ironed, you must send it to the hotel laundry. Found this to be rather strange, after reading another review that all "privileged" rooms have them and we didn't. We believe that they should have ironing boards available for everyone to use, as they are a common item that is asked for.

The beach is the nicest we have ever been on. We would walk it every day, wondering why we were a few of the only people walking on such a beautiful beach! For being so well-known as the “most beautiful”, there sure weren’t many people using it. There were no vendors on the beach all week. This is the first time we ever encountered this. Nice! Walking the beach was the ultimate soothing experience and we highly recommend it.

Mosquitoes were a huge problem—mostly in the open (main) restaurant. We actually experienced people getting up and leaving before they were finished eating because the mosquitoes were so bad. The maintenance people on the resort would spray around the grounds a couple of times a day, but it didn’t help much. In fact, one night we experienced the fog coming right into the restaurant, near the food! However, this is a very “green” resort, so we were hopeful that the stuff they were spraying was chemical-free. By all means, bring a strong insect repellent to be on the safe side.

Food was excellent in all respects—everything was fresh and in abundance at each meal. In fact, the chefs were constantly checking all food items almost every 10 minutes on the buffet to see that food items were well-stocked and had not run out. I tried the Creperie restaurant one day and had the ham and cheese crepe—to die for delicious!
Customer service was excellent, except for a couple of items: 1) several times when we wanted to have some ice cream for lunch in both the snack bar and main restaurant, there were no ice cream dishes available. They had all been taken and not been restocked. We had to use either a plate or soup bowl for the ice cream. 2) Don’t expect “waiter” service at the snack bar. There were a couple of times when a waiter did not even stop at our table, and we had to get our own beverages. Note: the snack bar is always very busy and they run out of items much faster during the lunch hour when compared to the main restaurant. The main restaurant had few people in it during lunch.

We also experienced a couple in the room next to us in loud argument in the middle of the night. We called the front desk to report it and they sent Security up to their room within a few minutes. This was very appreciated, and shows they care about the comfort level of guests.

With a few improvements in the customer service area above, this resort could easily be a 5-star. It’s just a few glitches that can easily be addressed and fixed. Also, the mosquito problem needs to be corrected. Providing guests with insect repellent would be helpful. We would definitely return!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Wiscbabe
Reviewed 4 May 2010

had an unbelievably wonderful stay. had my parents and our daughter and son-in-law with my husband and i. we stayed in the 'privilege' rooms, which were out of this world!! VERY clean resort!! food delicious!! everything was perfect! we WILL be going back!!

1  Thank tammyMontreal
Reviewed 2 May 2010

We stayed at the Catalonia Playa Maroma from April 6th to the 20th and we had the most wonderful time ever! The hotel is very clean, nice and employees are very friendly. The beach is absolutely beautiful. The food was excellent. There are 4 a la carte restaurants and all of them were very good, the service was excellent!
We got married and stayed at the superior rooms, which were really nice. The rooms were done twice a day and sometimes even three times a day, which made it really nice. The wedding arrangements were done by the Hotel and we had a worry-free and beautifull wedding! Thanks to the team out there!
The whole family enoyed the stay at the hotel, the youngest of us is two years old and the oldest one is in the 60`s, and we all agreed that this hotel was in far the most beautiful place we`ve seen; and we`ve travelled many times to the Caribbeans!

2  Thank Kat_Montreal_Canada
#100 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Catalonia Playa Maroma? Share your experiences!