“Wonderful stay in the oceanfront suite”

Catalonia Playa Maroma
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chicago, Illinois
“Wonderful stay in the oceanfront suite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2010

We stayed at the Catalonia Playa Maroma from July 10-17th. I traveled with my husband and 15 month old son. I spent a lot of time reading reviews on Trip Advisor before our trip so I was a little worried about some of the negative reviews I read before we arrived. I booked our room directly through the Catalonia website and I booked an ocean front swimming pool suite. Based on some of the negative reviews, I was worried that we wouldn’t be given the room we booked, but luckily we had no problems. We flew into the Cancun airport and used USA transfers – they were great – prompt and courteous. The drive from the airport was about 25 minutes.
As soon as we arrived at the hotel, we were asked for our last name by the bellhop, who promptly escorted us to the privileged reception area near the main pool. There is only one staff member in the privileged reception area so we had to wait 15 minutes for her to check in some other guests before it was our turn. She checked us in and told us that our room would be ready in 15 minutes. We ate lunch at the snack bar and returned to the reception area and were taken to our room. A quick tip - I friended Hotel Catalonia on Facebook and was told via email before we arrived that as a Facebook fan, I would received 10% off the room rate. However, when we arrived the woman in reception had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned it. I had to show her my email correspondence and she had to make several phone calls to verify that I should receive 10% off. Eventually, she verified everything and we did receive the discounted rate. But I recommended printing out your email and having it with you if you’re a Facebook fan. For 7 nights, we paid around $2000.
We were really happy with our room – I couldn’t find much information about the suites on TA so I’ll try to include information specific to the suites that hasn’t already been mentioned here before. We booked an oceanfront swimming pool suite – we had a huge walk in marble shower, double vanities, a large terrace, and our own swimming pool that was approximately 8’x15’. There are only 4 suites in the suite building, two on the bottom, which are the swimming pool suites, and two on the top, which are just called the oceanfront suites, I believe. The two suites on the top have Jacuzzi tubs on the balconies. We also had a minifridge stocked with beer, water, and soda, a safe, and a coffee maker in our room. The best thing about the suite building is the location. It is literally ON the beach – which was just amazing. Forty-fifty steps and we were in the ocean. It was so nice to be able to swim in the ocean and walk up the little path to our room, rinse off with the hose they provided for your feet and jump in your own private pool. Because we stayed in a suite, we also had access to beach bed loungers with canopies that are separated from the rest of the beach area by a sign stating “Reserved.” The beach beds were nice, but we kind of felt like jerks sitting there on the beach separated from everyone else by a sign. It would be nice if they had beach beds for all the guests!
Other things that have already been mentioned numerous times on TA but bear repeating as they are the pros of this property:
– The beach and ocean is wonderful. Soft, white sand and turquoise water. Beautiful!
-The staff is very friendly and helpful. They all greet you with “Hola” as you walk through the property. They were especially friendly to my toddler son and he really enjoyed the attention from the wait staff, bellhops, hostesses, etc. High chairs and children’s menus were available in every restaurant and the staff was very accommodating for families with children. We tipped our waiters, bartenders, and the staff that cleaned our room but never felt it was expected.
- The grounds are impeccably maintained. We saw a staff member come by to rake the sand outside of our room at least twice every day. We also noticed that there was constant maintenance of the plants, flowers, and grass.
- Almost every staff member we encountered spoke English. I took some Spanish in high school and was able to understand a few phrases here or there but typically they asked “Espanol or Ingles?” and once we told them we spoke English, they continued the conversation in English.
Things that have been mentioned as negatives in previous reviews:
-Walk from the pool to the main lobby/buffet area. It took about 3 minutes – it wasn’t the distance that bothered us so much as the heat. In order to walk from the pool area to the lobby, you have to walk through a very dense section of trees and plants – a jungle basically. It gets very muggy and we were usually dripping with sweat by the time we reached the lobby, especially at lunchtime. But we were in Mexico in July so …what can you expect? It wasn’t something that would keep me from returning to the resort.
- Ratio of American guests to European guests. We did notice that there seemed to be more European guests than American guests. We found most everyone to be very friendly and smiled at us if we smiled at them. We encountered one rude person who cut in line in front of us. I’m not sure what country she was from but I just chalked it up to her being rude, not so much that all European are rude, as I’ve seen mentioned in previous reviews. We did see a few (3 or 4) topless sunbathers but didn’t think it was a big deal.
-The food. The food was ok… it wasn’t horrible and it wasn’t great. There were a few dishes that we thought were really good but most of the time we thought it looked really pretty (nice presentation) but tasted just ok. If you’re a foodie, you might be disappointed.
Overall, I’d recommend this resort. The beach and the staff are what really makes this place great. The suite was well worth the money – and a steal if you compare it to the cost of the beachfront rooms at the Maroma resort and spa directly next door. Worth the upgrade if it’s in your budget.

13 Thank Jet0714

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2010

Arrival: We flew in from Vancouver BC early afternoon. Our Tour Operator met us at Cancun Airport, directed to the shuttle and after about 15 - 20 mins wait we were off. The bus was clean, cool and only about half full. We stopped once on the way to drop off few people at another hotel- overall trip took us a little less than one hour. Front desk: there was only one other couple arriving with us and so check-in did not take much time, we were offered welcome drink, issued our "ziplock baggies" wristbands and were "in". There were no bellboys available, none offered by the front desk - just explained route to our rooms. Because we were travelling with 2 teenagers we requested adjacent rooms but that afternoon none were available. We were told to come back the next morning and the next day they did find aroom next door for our teenagers (a small tip did help to facilitate this very much!). In general you do get the feeling that front desk operates on tips - and that is the only department that you get this feeling from.

Room: furnishing, decor and amenities are comfortable but not luxurious. Rooms are spacious, clean and a welcome respite from outside heat. If you are used to flat screen TV, stocked bar, jaccuzi tub and pillowtop mattress you could get dissapointed. We did not as all we expected was comfortable bed, clean sheets, cool shower and nice patio.

Food: there are 3 A'la Carte restaurants (Mexican, Italian, Steakhouse) included in the package plus Tapas Bar (extra). In addition the main restaurant offers daily buffet.

MEXICAN: no mariachi there but food isp preapred with care, has abundance of local flavors, well presented and offers decent variety. The Lime Soup was to die for, Flank steak was amazing however you could not get it rare (they had marinated the steak to get it tender but lost most of the blood in the process - still juicy and very tender for a flank), Mexican Extreme appetizer combo also quite nice.

ITALIAN: Definitely the best. Truffle risotto was creamy and you could actually see truffle shavings mixed with rice, Carpaccio well chilled and super fresh, Tenderloin cooked to right temperature ( I asked for blu-rare and thats what I got) and well seasoned (I would not compare it to AAA 28 day aged filet you can find in Vancouver - not enough marbling, but still you could almost carve it with a fork).

STEAKHOUSE: that's what it is, Calamari appetizer was nicely done (artful and tender), New York syeak quite decent ( 9 - 10 oz size), cooked right.

PAJARITO - main buffet, somewhat repetitive but if you only go there twice during your stay (for dinner I mean) then no problems there (enjoyed spit roasted veal leg). Breakfast is decent, lunch buffet has some nice pizzas.

TORTUGA GRILL - closer to the beach and good lunch-break option for a change from Pajarito, not a huge selection but always fresh pizza, fruit, chicken, fish, wings, cheeses, coldcuts and general lunch "munchies" .

Otonniel - Executive Chef is definitely keeping his crew happy cooking - food shows care and flavors underline it.

Beach - I hear that Travel magazine rates Maroma as the best in the world. I can see why. The sand is powder fine, never gets hot, white (WHITE). Water azul to sapphire, clear with tropical fish playing around you as you wade waist deep off the beach. No coral,no saweed (well, maybe a patch of seaweed 5 sq meters big that dissapeared with the current in 2 days). Amazing. Period.

Nighlife - not much of a disco fun so did not care much, nightly show is OK not too special (very hot in the theatre).

Staff - seems like happy crowd, smiles all around, you hear "hola" on every turn and everybody seems genuinely trying to make your stay as pleasant as possible. My Spanish is still pretty good and found it very helpful. Small tips ($1 USD) placed frequently in the right hands gets you a long way, not that is expected but if you do then they all go extra mile for you (speed of service, a little perks and extras).

Group Acitivties - rather large entertainment group organizing daily activities (beach volley, pool games... etc.) This is the only thing I did not really care for, Came to enjoy the beach and not b in kindergarden again... that's Ok though, many people seems liked it.

Watersports - kayak, snorkel, sail. For a fee you could go with a morot boat on the reefs to scuba or snorkel. No parasailing or anyting like that.

Overall: Nice vacation, clean, great people, awesome beach.

9 Thank suave_10
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2010

Im a 19 year old girl who traveled here with my parents and my 16 year old brother. We are from USA, this is a mainly European resort. We loved all the different cultures. The resort workers were SO LIVELY! Especially the Entertainment crew who ran the beach games. They made an effort to get to know you and were always friendly and so much fun! This was our third visit to Riviera Maya, and we have also been to many other caribbean countries. However, this was by far my favorite resort I have ever stayed at. Nothing can compare to the white sand, turquoise water beaches here. This beach was ranked one of the world's top 50 beaches by National Geographic for a very good reason! It is absolutely gorgeous. Everything about the resort was just perfect. The service was fast and excellent. I have never felt so sad when leaving a vacation as the day we went home, I actually cried. Catalonia Playa Maroma is a wonderful gem that has everything a good resort should have! Make sure to buy bug spray though, because the mosquitos get really bad in the morning and night! The restaurants are open air too, so the bugs can even attack when at meals. This resort is located in a unique location, in the jungle, and there are animals that are adorable and unique to Mexico. I am counting down the seconds until I am able to return to this place!

3 Thank ajc5501
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2010

I have vacationed in the Mayan Riviera a few times before this trip and I have to say that this hotel was one of the better ones. The hotel is located in a big area and has a main walkway which leads from the lobby to the beach. Its about a 3 min walk at a comfortable pace. Along the way are small paths that go left and right to where your rooms are. They are 5 or 6 smaller buildings making up the hotel. Lots of birds, lizards and other animals living in the various trees that are covering majority of hotels property. This resulted in very little mosquitoes.

The rooms were nice, you had all you necessities there and they had a combination of a A/C and fan in the room so you can alternate depending on preference. The sink was separate from the toilet and the shower which was good for me and had a huge mirror in front.

The beach was the main reason why I wanted to go to this hotel and it didn't disappoint. There was nothing in the water but white sand. No seaweed or rocks. Early mornings you would get the little fish that come and search for food. There were plenty of beach chairs, shade and sun space so you could do whatever you wanted.

Right on the beach they had a crape restaurant which was open from 10am to 6 pm along with a big bar which was open to 11pm. Main bar in the lobby is open 24 hrs. Right near the beach bar was the huge pool which actually had a real deep end (over 7 feet) and the beach restaurant which had food from about 3 pm to 6 pm. Good selection of food (little more then your regular burgers, fries, hot dogs). This restaurant at night then turned into 3 el a carte restaurants. This was the only surprising fact about the hotel. You came as you please, there were no reservations needed to be made. So make sure you go around 7pm especially to the Mediterranean. Mexican you can always get into and the Steakhouse was also fairly full. Main Buffet restaurant that has breakfast, lunch and dinner is right next to the lobby. It can get hot because its an open area so no A/C but lots of fans. Lots of variety of food, really good food. Their fish was really good all the time and well as their mexican dishes, lots of enchiladas, quesadillas and so on. You would be surprised but their pizza was exceptional as well.

Last thing, pick you favourite servers, tip them early and you will find that you get really good service. Usually the really nice people who appreciate tips and don't expect them are the way to go.

Overall an awesome hotel with really friendly staff. Snorkeling is something you should do here if you have never done it. One of the biggest coral reefs in the world are located here. One and half hours of lots of fun.

6 Thank ibakovic
Milton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2010

Stayed 1 week July 11-18th

1) Location
Playa Maroma is conveniently located between Cancun Airport ( 35 mins) and Playa del Carmen (30 mins), be aware that there are some Hotels upto 90 mins away from Cancun Airport
The beach is amazing ! pristine turquoise waters, white powder sand , and you can walk kilometers north or south of the resort

2) Rooms
Very clean, nice size rooms, with patio or balcony, Buildings are of 3 floors, best Building is # 5 as is the closest to the Pool and Beach, as well as to the a la carte restaurants., also TV's on this building are all Flat screen
You have the opttion to select King Size Bed or 2 Double size beds

3) Food
I think food opinion is more related to personal taste, however some days the Buffet Lunch is good, others is acceptable
When having breakfast, ask for Rodrigo( he really is a big asset ) if you want something is not in the tables, I enjoy my Papaya juice every morning, fresh and tasty
A La Carte - The Terraza ( extra $$) offers Tapas and is by far the best of all, very well prepared and presented, at an extra cost of $ 15 x person is worth to try it, you wont be dissapointed !
Italian Restaurant - Second best, good quality, variety and nice atmosphere
The Steakhouse Restaurant - is good, but don't expect the same level than in a North-American or Canadian Steakhouse
Mexican Restaurant - I was surprised by the various options offered, very popular

ohh and they have by the bar-pool a Creperie, great crepes 11am to 5pm, try the Crepe Suzette yummy!

4) Bars
if you like a Corona, Margarita, Amaretto di Saronno, The best Cuban Havana Rum or just Pina-Coladas , you will find plenty of options at the Hotel Bars
For Non-Alcohol drinkers, there are lots of options too !

5) Consierge Service
In Hotels with more than 500 guests a week, you may expect a few glitches, remember you are on vacation, relax, and go to see Eduardo if you experience any inconvenience.
Eduardo will set up the necessary actions in motion to solve your problem while you go enjoying some Margaritas at the pool or the beach,

6) Staff
The most friendly staff of any resort I visited the last 5 years, eager to help and make you enjoy your vacation, and they dont do this for tips

7)Entertainment-
Entertainment staff is organizing compertitions, dances, volleyball, waterpolo, Bocchi games, all day and at night very good prepared shows at the theatre, you won't feel bored

Playa del Carmen - great for shopping in their 5th Avenue strip, full of boutiques, Bars, Restaurants and Pubs ( The Hotel offers twice a day free shuttle bus to Playa del Carmen, a Taxi can get you there too, for about $ 20 each way )

Overall the hotel has a large staff, the beatiful beach is clean up every day, several times, the grounds as well, There is Boutiques, Photo service, a Spa ,Jewelry store etc etc
INTERNET - If yoy bring your laptop wi-fi is free in the Lobby area,(no wi-fi in the rooms) if you need a computer cost is US$ 10 for 50 mins , so be aware !
This is Catalonia Playa Maroma is a Hotel I would love to return !

7 Thank Fernandoyyz
Valrico, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2010

My wife & I stayed at the Catalonia Playa Maroma & enjoyed our 5 night stay (6/15-6/20) immensely !!! We had no trouble checking in & were given the Privledged room that we paid for. The food was excellent & the service was too.The beach was everthing that I had heard that it was. The pool also was quite nice(No ledge -gradual slope). The walk from the lobby was pretty long to the beach & a tram would be nice but it gave us an opportunity to work off some of the extra pounds that we gained during our trip. The rooms were clean and the mattresses were firm. Overall we would definately return since we only paid $1470. including everything for 2 people !!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Floridians33596
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2010

As every one else that visited this Hotel is excited over the beach and I can only agree. The Bufé where average. It have everything but not fancy in any way. It's OK! What makes me more worried is the total service you expect is not that good.
Of course the reception with the limited tasks they do every day is polite and respomsive.
But when you need extra help with a booking number which they couldn't find for 3 days or your AC doesn't work correctly . the fall down lots of step on the scale.
So beware of bad service if you need more than the small plastic bag with keys and a smile.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank J0rgen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 8,163 reviews
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#73 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,808 reviews

Been to Catalonia Playa Maroma? Share your experiences!