We stayed at the Catalonia Playa Maroma from July 10-17th. I traveled with my husband and 15 month old son. I spent a lot of time reading reviews on Trip Advisor before our trip so I was a little worried about some of the negative reviews I read before we arrived. I booked our room directly through the Catalonia website and I booked an ocean front swimming pool suite. Based on some of the negative reviews, I was worried that we wouldn’t be given the room we booked, but luckily we had no problems. We flew into the Cancun airport and used USA transfers – they were great – prompt and courteous. The drive from the airport was about 25 minutes.
As soon as we arrived at the hotel, we were asked for our last name by the bellhop, who promptly escorted us to the privileged reception area near the main pool. There is only one staff member in the privileged reception area so we had to wait 15 minutes for her to check in some other guests before it was our turn. She checked us in and told us that our room would be ready in 15 minutes. We ate lunch at the snack bar and returned to the reception area and were taken to our room. A quick tip - I friended Hotel Catalonia on Facebook and was told via email before we arrived that as a Facebook fan, I would received 10% off the room rate. However, when we arrived the woman in reception had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned it. I had to show her my email correspondence and she had to make several phone calls to verify that I should receive 10% off. Eventually, she verified everything and we did receive the discounted rate. But I recommended printing out your email and having it with you if you’re a Facebook fan. For 7 nights, we paid around $2000.
We were really happy with our room – I couldn’t find much information about the suites on TA so I’ll try to include information specific to the suites that hasn’t already been mentioned here before. We booked an oceanfront swimming pool suite – we had a huge walk in marble shower, double vanities, a large terrace, and our own swimming pool that was approximately 8’x15’. There are only 4 suites in the suite building, two on the bottom, which are the swimming pool suites, and two on the top, which are just called the oceanfront suites, I believe. The two suites on the top have Jacuzzi tubs on the balconies. We also had a minifridge stocked with beer, water, and soda, a safe, and a coffee maker in our room. The best thing about the suite building is the location. It is literally ON the beach – which was just amazing. Forty-fifty steps and we were in the ocean. It was so nice to be able to swim in the ocean and walk up the little path to our room, rinse off with the hose they provided for your feet and jump in your own private pool. Because we stayed in a suite, we also had access to beach bed loungers with canopies that are separated from the rest of the beach area by a sign stating “Reserved.” The beach beds were nice, but we kind of felt like jerks sitting there on the beach separated from everyone else by a sign. It would be nice if they had beach beds for all the guests!
Other things that have already been mentioned numerous times on TA but bear repeating as they are the pros of this property:
– The beach and ocean is wonderful. Soft, white sand and turquoise water. Beautiful!
-The staff is very friendly and helpful. They all greet you with “Hola” as you walk through the property. They were especially friendly to my toddler son and he really enjoyed the attention from the wait staff, bellhops, hostesses, etc. High chairs and children’s menus were available in every restaurant and the staff was very accommodating for families with children. We tipped our waiters, bartenders, and the staff that cleaned our room but never felt it was expected.
- The grounds are impeccably maintained. We saw a staff member come by to rake the sand outside of our room at least twice every day. We also noticed that there was constant maintenance of the plants, flowers, and grass.
- Almost every staff member we encountered spoke English. I took some Spanish in high school and was able to understand a few phrases here or there but typically they asked “Espanol or Ingles?” and once we told them we spoke English, they continued the conversation in English.
Things that have been mentioned as negatives in previous reviews:
-Walk from the pool to the main lobby/buffet area. It took about 3 minutes – it wasn’t the distance that bothered us so much as the heat. In order to walk from the pool area to the lobby, you have to walk through a very dense section of trees and plants – a jungle basically. It gets very muggy and we were usually dripping with sweat by the time we reached the lobby, especially at lunchtime. But we were in Mexico in July so …what can you expect? It wasn’t something that would keep me from returning to the resort.
- Ratio of American guests to European guests. We did notice that there seemed to be more European guests than American guests. We found most everyone to be very friendly and smiled at us if we smiled at them. We encountered one rude person who cut in line in front of us. I’m not sure what country she was from but I just chalked it up to her being rude, not so much that all European are rude, as I’ve seen mentioned in previous reviews. We did see a few (3 or 4) topless sunbathers but didn’t think it was a big deal.
-The food. The food was ok… it wasn’t horrible and it wasn’t great. There were a few dishes that we thought were really good but most of the time we thought it looked really pretty (nice presentation) but tasted just ok. If you’re a foodie, you might be disappointed.
Overall, I’d recommend this resort. The beach and the staff are what really makes this place great. The suite was well worth the money – and a steal if you compare it to the cost of the beachfront rooms at the Maroma resort and spa directly next door. Worth the upgrade if it’s in your budget.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Catalonia Playa Maroma is situated in the Mayan Riviera, at only 35 kilometers south of Cancun and 20 kilometers north of Playa del Carmen. Regarding to the Travel Channel, Playa Maroma is one of the most beautiful beaches of the world. The typical Mexican decoration with its vibrant colors and palapa roofs surrounded by the native jungle make this resort the perfect place to spend a wonderful vacation. The Mayan World has to offer a lot to its visitors. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Catalonia Playa Maroma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Playa Maroma Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Catalonia Playa Maroma Del Carmen
- Playa Maroma