“Fitness buffs find total relaxation!!”

Catalonia Playa Maroma
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 18 January 2011

Don't let the bumpy gravel road leading up to this resort let you think it's anything but an immaculate, quiet resort nestled in the Riviera jungle. My husband and I spent 2 glorious weeks at Catalonia Playa Maroma and we could have spent another 2. If you want a place where you can completely relax this is where you need to be.

We were among a handful of english speaking Canadians but that didn't keep us from getting to know the amazing staff and other Canadians visiting the resort. In fact it brought us Canadians closer together! Unfortunately the language barrier did keep us from really getting to know some of the other guests but they were mostly friendly regardless. Our room was in the privalleged section and though we didn't get the king sized bed we were hoping for we were happy with the room over all and didn't bother trying to change. The room was amazingly clean however the air conditioning didn't work overly well (room 4106 incase the management wants to know) Luckily my husband and I are used to not having a/c so the fan along with the a/c was good enough. :)

The resort itself has an extremely relaxed atmosphere. The clientele seems a little more "high class" for lack of a better word and eventhough there were people having a good time it never got out of control. Most of the time people were sitting at a table or one of the great couches in the lobby playing cards and having a cappuccino. (which is AMAZING by the way) The animation team is unbelievable, speaking all 4 common languages of the resort; italian, spanish, french, and english. A special thank you to Jhonny for making our stay extra fabulous!

My husband and I are fitness competitors so the gym facilities were a concern at first. We couldn't find a picture at the time of booking but we were surprised to find it had everything we needed! Oh except for a matching 5lb and 10lb dumbell for the ones that are there. I had to use 5lb plates most of the time. The air conditioning isn't on most of the time but I think that's because the room isn't air tight. We made the best of it and embraced the extra hard workouts. The shops on site are amazing and not too badly priced though most of the stuff you can find in Playa Del Carmen should you be there. Unfortunately I didn't get around to using the spa so I can't tell you how it is. The food was always amazing. In the buffett & the 3 al la cartes. You MUST go to Tortuga and have the Portobello Maroma and french onion soup. Being in the fitness industry eating somewhere other then home can be hard but I had no problems at all.

The long walkway from the main lobby to the rooms/gym/beach was never a problem except for when it rained of course. In fact we liked being farther away from the lobby since that's where the disco and entertainment stage is so should we turn in early we couldn't hear anything from the room. Speaking of the disco and entertainment stage, the disco was so much fun! Most of the staff stick around and dance the night away with you. The dj plays newer music which is great and liked by everyone. We saw the majority of the entertainment on stage through our trip and all of the shows were fantastic. I would like to see some more singers however. :)

The beach is of course amazing. Beautifully white and soft. If you can't find a chair, walk over to the far right and there is staff washing some off. They'll grab a chair and bring it out for you. As for topless tanning I can say I was one of a handful of people doing it as I had to avoid the tan lines. Besides it was something to check off the ol' "bucket list' ;). The water is amazing though always moving. The wind blows all the time so it kicks up the water a little but not too bad at all. The angel fish that hang out in the area are completely harmless but quite curious. Bring a banana and they'll be your best friend all day!

I'm not sure what else I can say besides this was the best vacation I've ever had. I was worried about staying in one place for so long but it was amazing. Again the atmosphere is very relaxed so if you're looking to party this resort is not for you. Also there is no free shuttle as mentioned in a previous review by the management but it's $20 each way to get to Playa Del Carmen. I also recommend going to Coco Bongo while you're there. I feel completely relaxed and refreshed after staying at Catalonia Playa Maroma and I will definitely be back again!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank chantelle_enns
There are newer reviews for Catalonia Playa Maroma

Reviewed 16 January 2011

Rooms are ok and a bit of a walk from hotel to beach. If you upgrade to privileged then you get an awesome room close to beach.
Every night they had live entertainment in lobby and an excellent animation team too.
All I can say is this was a very excellent choice of hotel for us. I can't wait to go back.
The beach is just amazing!!!!! Never had to fight for a lounger either. Free shuttle to Playa Del Carmen - 5th Ave

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank FitMom68
Reviewed 13 January 2011

The resort is simply perfect for nature and animal lovers.We were so pleased on our 14 day stay.We celebrated Christmas,New Year, and a Birthday during our trip and stayed in the oceanfront suite with patio and private pool! WOW! Great value and superior service;everyone friendly and with guests from all over the world! Shows were superb and the work they must have taken to learn and practice it is hard to imagine.. with the time the entertainment staff spends with the guests all waking hours.Cancelled flights and lost items were all addressed professionally with kindness and understanding. The housekeeping staff ,grounds keepers, pool tenders,and concierge staff are all to be commended along with security and front desk staff. We had our meals at the main buffet primarily and were greeted warmly by reception and our three waiters always.The meals were tasty , and varied . Fruits were fresh and deserts.. well lets just say.. Thank goodness for the gym and the nice walk to the restaurant:) Bartenders are so fast.. nobody waits.. EVER! They all work very hard and try to make your stay a memorable one.We could list so many names of people to thank but we don't want to omit anyone.. I think they know who they are.Be generous when you go.. They deserve it. Thank you again!!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
8  Thank amerirusskie
Reviewed 8 January 2011

Our stay was lovely! The Front Desk greeted us and promptly informed us that we were to be in the privileged bldg. 6306... beautiful top floor room with ocean view. Beach is the most magnificent in all Mexico and the world.... Absolutely first-rate service from all employees of this resort! (Especially Gabriella in the Privileged Office!) The food was plentiful and the restaurants were all very beautiful, fun, and unique. We will be going back next year at the same time to enjoy the fabulous beach and wonderful Mexican hospitality!!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
7  Thank John O
Reviewed 7 January 2011

This year we stayed at both the Catalonia playa Maroma (3 days) and the Catalonia Royal Tulum (7 days). Here I will elaborate on the Playa Maroma resort. Check in was easy and quick, the room was as requested (privileged superior) and very nice. However we did ask for a room change and they accommodated us. The original room was fine except the balcony had a high solid wall where a railing should be, resulting in no view at all. It was a 3rd floor end room in building 4. The buildings are circular structures with a court yard in the middle. However all rooms look toward the center of the resort. That is to say the rooms (balconies) in buildings on the north side (bldgs. 2, 4 and 6) look south (except for the end rooms which face either east or west). Buildings 1, 3 and 5 look north (again with the exception of end rooms) so you will either face onto the courtyard (if your room is on the outside edge of the resort property) or the jungle in the center of the resort if your room is on the opposite or inner side. With this set-up you will never face another balcony across the courtyard (just their room entrance door) and you will never look outward to neighbouring resorts. The buildings are configured oddly. The part of the circular building nearest the resort property line, are three stories. The other part of the circle is two stories. End rooms face the balconies on the adjacent buildings except for the third floor end rooms which have a tall wall (not a railing) obstructing any view at all. My suggestion is try to avoid an end room on the third floor of any building. We were told by staff that building 1 was primarily for Italian speaking guests, building 2 was primarily French, etc. I think there is probably a good reason to keep nationalities together (communication with staff etc.) but it does seem odd. Building 4 and 6 are privileged rooms, honeymoon suites etc., and there is a mix of nationalities in these two buildings. Building 4 and 6 (and perhaps others) have WIFI service. Building 6 is designated as a non-smoking building (so says the wee signs in the stair wells). I am not sure if there are any other non-smoking buildings but I am guessing “no” because of the large number of European and French guests who dominate this resort and really like to smoke. There is no smoking in the restaurants but everywhere else is OK to puff away (except building 6). Most annoying if you are a non-smoker but many resorts in this area have similar smoking policies.
The Beach is beautiful and expansive. There are only a few neighbouring resorts and you can go for long un-crowded walks along the beach in either direction. If you like to look for shells this is not the beach for you. No shells just fine sand. They have these shade structures built on the south side of the resort’s beach area and there are some palapas on the north side of the beach area. The palapas beach is designated for privileged guests (even have different color chairs) but nobody knows this because there are no signs (silly anyway). I should mention that you get different color bracelets depending on whether you are a privileged guest in building 4 and 6. Other buildings have there own colors. I think there are 4 colors in all. Red, Green, Blue and Grey. We were Grey indicating that we were privileged guests and entitled to be on the privileged beach and eat in the privileged part of the buffet. While privileged guests pay more for their stay, reserving areas for them is just not working out. I think they do it to ensure that these guests do not have to wait for seats in the buffet or fight for beach chairs when the resort is at capacity. However this information is not well advertised and most guests are not aware of any class distinction so unless told they will sit and tan anywhere they like and from what I can see it is tolerated. No big deal.
The Food is OK. We were only there for three days so really cannot comment on the specialty restaurants except to say they are not open at all times so check first to see which evenings they are open to better plan your visits. I do wish though that people would dress up for dinner at the a-la-cart specialty restaurants. Long pants and a shirt would be nice. Too many just come in tattered jeans, shorts, flipflops, t-shirts. Some are dressed real nice and others the complete opposite. I understand that it is important for some to chill out for the whole time in beach attire but it wouldn’t hurt to take off the ball cap or put on a clean t-shirt if that is all you brought. It kind of ruins the dinning out experience for others who actually dress up for the evening.

It is a $20USD taxi ride to playa del Carmen and $40USD to the airport.
Prices in the resort shops are advertised in $USD (tax included) but all transactions are in pesos. The USD to Peso conversion rate in the shops is terrible.

They have wheel chair access onto the beach and special palapas set up for those guests. First time I have ever seen this. Good idea.

Generally the resort is well run with friendly staff and efficient service personnel. Guests attending this resort will have a relaxing vacation as long as you do not get up tight about little annoyances. For us it was the smoking but all we did was move and plan our seating better (hint; avoid setting up on the down wind side of any loungers). I highly recommend this resort. It is very good value for the money.

We were three days into a 10 day stay and asking at the front desk about New Years eve festivities when we were approached by staff and asked if we would be interested in moving to their sister resort (Catalonia Royal Tulum). They were overbooked for new years and were looking for guests who would upgrade to their adults only resort south pf Playa Del Carmen. We stayed there 2 years ago and it was a very very pleasant stay. We said yes if we were given a Junior Suite. We got what we wanted and they paid the cab fare. Very good deal I thought because the Royal Tulum is indeed an upgrade and it was a little too rich for our blood to go there again this year.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
10  Thank twotogo009
Reviewed 4 January 2011

First of all I would like to thank Eduardo and Roberto (customer relations) for being so accommodating to all of our needs and requests! Again thank you very much, you guys have been great!
I have traveled with my family and friends total of 19 people. At our arrival a cold towel and a refreshing drink was provided. The check in was very quick with no surprises. The rooms are quite big and definitely very clean. The maids did a very good job cleaning the rooms everyday and even sometimes times per day.
We have visited all three restaurants (The Steakhouse, Mexican and Italian), we have enjoyed all of them, but we ate mostly at the buffet, which offered great food variety and definitely all the food was fresh and tasty! The deserts are amazing, I usually do not eat any sweets but I could not refuse those delicacies. The creperie was also good and offered a quick fix for hunger, if you lay by the pool or beach.Christmas and New Years offered special dinner buffet with beautiful food decorations. New Years Eve was held at the beach with life band and fire show, it was beautiful!
The best part of this resort is the beach! I totally believe that Maroma beach is one of the best beaches of the world. You won't see any rocks and the sand is pure powder!
Animation team was always cheerful and on the go all day long, offering many activities from stretching, abdominal exercises, volley, soccer......
If you are looking for great price for the value you definitely should visit Catalonia Playa Maroma!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
8  Thank Lubzez
Reviewed 4 January 2011

For all the people to have travelled extensively - I will not elaborate as others have done.
Rooms - very comfortable if you upgrade to the priveleged room.
Restaurants and food - very clean, a good variety of food, european in flavour with some mexican in the buffet restaurants. Wine was not good - no biggy - other drink choices.
Beach - Amazing - and there are quiet areas of the beach. It is not an over developed area. No early morning rush to put out beach towels! Loads of shade and sunbeds.
Reception Staff - excellent especially David and William, they will help you out if necessary.
We found this resort to be an ideal get away and had a wonderful weeks vacation which was restful.
Some of the reports on this site have been extremely negative and unnecessary. Wake-up please you are in a tropical area - of course there will be ants,mosquities and geckos. Feel free to contact me via the website if you have any further questions.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
#102 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#32 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Catalonia Playa Maroma? Share your experiences!