“60 Guest Wedding - Magnificent!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Catalonia Playa Maroma
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Melbourne, Australia
“60 Guest Wedding - Magnificent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2011

My wife and I chose to have our wedding at Catalonia Playa Maroma on recommendation from our travel agent. There were 60 guests in total, half from Australia (where we currently live) and half from Canada and the US. We have been in too many different resorts throughout the Caribbean and therefore know what to expect. Our Australian guests had never been to Mexico or an all-inclusive resort before.

We were such a large group with eclectic tastes that consisted of people who had not travelled overseas before, people who were well travelled, people from different cultures and different backgrounds and different ages. We spoke to all our guests afterwards and all of them had the same great experience, and all agreed that it was the perfect place for our wedding.

Don’t expect the luxury as found in five star resorts however the service, the grounds, the food, the beach, and the location were all impeccable. We would go there again in a heartbeat.

The Wedding

The wedding was executed flawlessly. It was perfect and the guests all had an amazing time.

The wedding planner (“Karina”) and the concierge (“Eduardo”) were very well organised.
Considering the wedding was planned via correspondence between ourselves in Australia and Eduardo and Karina at Catalonia, we were expecting there to at least be a few “mis-communications”. We were pleasantly surprised to find that all of our communication had been understood.

Once we arrived we sat down with Karina and Eduardo and put the final touches on what had been planned over the last few months. After that point we felt that we were stress free and free to enjoy the company of our guests without having to constantly worry about the wedding.

We left the resort with amazing memories.

Staff

The staff were exceptionally friendly and were always willing to go above and beyond to make our stay great. Nothing was a problem.

30 Tequila Shots – No Problemo!
Cocktails with breakfast –No problemo!
Crazy requests – No problemo!

Each morning our guests would often tell us stories about the staff going the extra mile for them. I remember the excitement of some guests when they discovered that the buffet restaurant staff were happy to make them personalized pizzas!

The concierge staff were very accommodating in assisting our 60 guests organise their own trips and tours outside of the resort. They were also exceptionally patient with what was often difficult group to organise.

The food was amazing, fresh, often made from scratch on site, and there was great variety.

We were there for two weeks and did not get tired of the food. Everyone found something that suited them, and we were missing the great food for weeks once we returned to Australia.

The Resort

The resort was beautiful. Wonderfully coloured, set in a jungle, it had the most tropical and natural surroundings of any Caribbean resort we had ever been to.

The gardens, the rooms, the walkways, the pool were all pristine clean.

It was the perfect size resort for having a group of guests as we were always able to find each other, while also having lots of space for time out on our own.

Most of the other resort guests (not from our wedding) were from France, Italy, Spain and therefore there was very little English spoken outside of our own wedding group.
The Rooms

Most of our guests were in standard rooms, and found them to be very of a great size with great beds and perfect for the topical surroundings.

If you are looking for a “modern” room, you should ask for an upgrade. Those who did have the upgraded rooms loved them, but it all comes down to personal preference. The photos of the rooms on the website are an accurate representation of what the rooms are like so choose based on your personal preference.

All room had an included mini bar with water and soft-drink stocked every day. This was a nice touch as we were always thirsty after the big days of activity.

Other Considerations

We had an 83 year old guest family member at the wedding and before arriving at the resort my family were a little concerned as to how she would cope if at times she was on her own.

However, the family were wonderfully surprised with the professionalism of the staff and the level of security. The family was never concerned to leave her on her own. She was always well looked after and well respected wherever she was in the resort. The staff even remembered how she took her tea every morning and gave her special attention.

The layout of the resort was also manageable for someone of that age, not to get lost and not to get overwhelmed by it all.

Our family were so much more at ease knowing that the staff looked out for her and looked after her and were very very thankful. It made their trip much more enjoyable as they did not have to always worry about their octogenarian mother.

Finally an enormous thank you to Karina, Eduardo and Roberto for making it an unforgettable wedding and holiday. It was amazing and everyone will be talking about it for years to come!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Alex_Elena

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (609)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2011

My wife and I just returned from Playa Maroma. This resort was awesome!! Picture perfect beaches with the friendliest staff that we have ever encountered. The food both in the buffet and a la carte was excellent. We never felt like we had to tip our servers like in most resorts, but we still did. I would definately recommend and go back to this resort.
Now for my complaints. The resort was full of european smokers. I can deal with the smoke, but France must have sent all of their royalty there for a vacation. The Italians, and Germans were great. The French SUCK!!! They were so rude to people, that when asked where I came from, I let people know that I was Canadian, but had no ties to the French what so ever. Being Canadian I am used to rude frenchmen, but this was pathetic. This resort could easily be a 5+ resort if they would just ban the French. They will not move for you when you are walking, but if you learn to keep your head down and shoulder your way through them you will be fine.
Again awesome resort if you can get past the French with their lower back tattooed men wearing tight purple pants and shiny white shoes.

4 Thank chadw13
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2011

Would like to start by letting you know a little about myself so you get a idea of how i came to this opinion. Im 30 years old, travelled with my 29 year old girlfriend. We both love a great beach, good food and nice service. Not picky people. I have been to mexico 6 times so am well aware of what kinds of resorts there are and what to expect. This was the first time that we atayed for 2 weeks.
STAFF- Amazing, upon arrival we were greeted with smiles and bell boys right there to grab our bags, at the check in desk we were brought 2 brightly colored drinks and 2 warm face clothes. At this resort you never felt pressured to tip anyone at all, we did of course but was not expected. Enrique on the beach was always smiling and willing to bring you drinks whenever needed. There was never a long wait to get a drink at the beach bar and would wave you over if you werent being sereved right away. The entertainament staff were all very nice, personally i dont interact with them as i enjoy relaxing with people we have met or my gf but if you wanted to there is always something to do.
BEACH- The beach is beautiful!!!! you can walk at least a kilometer each way with soft white sand and and open beaches. There are lots of fish swimming around your feet when the ocean is calm, i would recomend bring snorkle gear! You ALWAYS could get a beach chair on the beach and there is shade to be had, dont listen to the other people complaining that there is no shade. Out of the 6 resorts i have been to this beach BY FAR is the nicest!!
ROOMS- We stayed in a standard room, this is the room one step down from the privilege room and one step above the first one. Our room was awsome, new furniture, flat screen tv, rainshower glass tile shower and a king bed, fridge was ALWAYS stocked with beer, water and pop and everyday and some sort of towel art made. We left 40 pesos each day. No complaints here at all. I cant comment on the other rooms but from what i heard the privilage is overated.
PEOPLE- now this is the only part of the review that is negetive, if you are looking for a non-smoking english speaking resort this isnt for you. This resort is 90% european in which almost all of them smoke and most are very rude They do not move out foy our way and will probally run you over if you didnt move, they have no regard fro blowing smoke in your face and will drop thierr cigarett butts in the sand and they treat the staff poorly. We did meet some very nice Canadians and Americans which was cool but they were few and far between. This resort could really up thier star rating if they made it a non-smoking resort.
TRAVEL- travel to playa del carmen is about 15-20min and will cost you $20 US dollars or 200 pesos each way. There is no shuttle wich would have been a nice touch.
FOOD- the food was good, it wasnt great and but i had zero complaints i could always find something i liked. The buffet was good with lots of choices. There was 3 ala cart restaurants, italian, steak house and mexican. Itilian was the best in my opinion. We went there 3 times! the steak house is second and mexican 3rd but all are very very good. Again the staff was amazing and attention to detail was the best. I noticed as well a strong managment pressence all over the resort with was nice to see and were friendly as well.

All and all this resort was great, the best in my 6 vacations!!! If you choose this resort you wont be dissapointed.

5 Thank chad6
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2011

Just came back from one of our more enjoyable vacations. My wife & I have travelled and cruised the Caribbean for the past 11 years and our stay at Catalonia Playa Maroma will rate as our favorite all-inclusive resort. We were travelling with our daughter & her boyfriend and our son & his girl friend (all in their mid to late 20's). The check-in was a breeze. We decided to upgrade us all to the 'Privileged Rooms' since we wanted to be close to the beach and it also gives you a few added perks at the a-la carte restaurants and spa. well worth the added expense.

We all fell in love with the natural beauty of the resort - all the units are set apart from each other by natural Mangroves - you feel like you are in the middle of a rainforest walking to the Lobby or the Buffet. Excellent food and plentiful - even for our vegetarians.
The a-la-carte restaurants (4) really surprised me. Each has its own kitchen, so it is not the buffet food re-presented to you. Food quality and presentation would rival most restaurants in Canada.

The resort staff go out of their way to please you. They are constantly cleaning the grounds and walkways.

This is not a glitzy polished marble, granite and glass resort - it is as natural as it gets. I would not change a thing. I would go back tomorrow if I could. However, we will probably wait til next year.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank OntarioViking
Stillwater, OK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2011

This review is about six months late (and a bit long), but my husband and I got married at the Catalonia Playa Maroma back in July 2010 and had the best time! I can't say enough good things about this place - in fact, we're going back again this year. I've been to a bunch of different tropical resorts in the Carribean (Bahamas, Caymans, Jamaica, Virgin Islands, etc) and for the price, this place can't be beat. If you want the feel of a bustling resort and a crowded beach, this is not the place for you. The CPM is located in a jungle-type setting that opens up onto a pristine, powdery white sand beach. It's nothing short of breathtaking - so relaxing. The water is a brilliant turquoise and the sand seems to defy the laws of physics - no matter how high the air temperature is, the sand is nice and cool. The resort is about a 15 minute cab ride from Playa del Carmen, but the resort has everything you need (including shopping), so most of our group never left the resort grounds at all.

The People:
We traveled with a fairly large group for our wedding - about 25 of us total - and the hotel staff was beyond accomodating to make sure all our needs and requests were met. Everyone was so nice and helpful and really went out of their way to make our time there special. The resort works for all ages. The youngest person in our group was 15 (the oldest was 58), and while it is also child-friendly, it is by no means overrun with noisy kids (whew).

Wedding:
Our wedding coordinator, Eduardo, was so organized and professional - this guy was really phenomenal. He really went out of his way to make sure our wedding day was absolutely beautiful and made sure we didn't have to worry about a thing. He paid such great attention to detail and really made sure it was all perfect. I honestly can't think of one thing that went wrong. I can't comment on their photography services, as we flew our own photographers down for the event. We got married on the beach at sunset, followed by a cocktail reception and then dinner at the Italian restaurant. We also hired a mariachi band for some entertainment at the cocktail reception. It was all just amazing. If you're thinking about getting married on the beach, and you're not super Type-A, I highly recommend it. Absolutely no stress and everyone has such a great time!

Food:
The food is about par for the course for an all-inclusive - it's not the best I've ever eaten, but it was good. We went to another resort in Playa for our honeymoon and, while the food was a bit better, the atmosphere didn't compare to the CPM - we kind of wished we had stayed there longer.

Rooms:
I highly recommend staying in the privileged rooms. The upgrade doesn't cost that much more and it's well worth it. We had people staying in both types of rooms and the privileged rooms are much, much nicer.

Spa:
About half of our group got massages at one point or another during the week, us included, and as far as I know, everyone loved them. I also got a mani/pedi the day of our wedding and thought it was very good.

Evening Entertainment:
We didn't really participate much in the evening entertainment opportunities, although I know some shows were offered. With a such a large group, we kind of entertained ourselves.

I really can't say enough good things about this resort and the staff. They made our trip unforgettable. I am happy to answer any questions you may have about this resort or having a destination wedding. Feel free to message me!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank KatieOSU
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2011

My husband and I stayed at this resort for 5 days/4 nights this month. I will start by saying that I was very nervous at first because of the negative things that I read on TA. Thankfully, we did not encounter not one bad issue in this resort. When we landed at Cancun airport, things went pretty smoothly. Prior to travelling I had read about the 'Pirates' in the airport so I did as some reviewers stated and as soon as we cleared our luggage, etc., we walked straight outside. We were met by our driver from USA Transfers and waited about 15 minutes to get in the car. The ride to the resort is about 30-40 minutes. Once at the resort, there is a dirt road that is an eye sore, and bumpy but I later came to find out that there is a reason why this road is the way that it is. Apparently because of environmental reasons, they leave it this way to protect the animals that live within the resort. The dirt road forces drivers to slow down, which is fine by me. When we arrived to the resort, we were met by staff who looked us up on the list of persons arriving that day and were immediately escorted to the "Privilege Check-In" office. We had booked a honeymoon privilege room which came with some nice perks. Gabriella who took care of us was fantastic. Eduardo who is the manager could not have been nicer. Roberto, his assistant was also very nice. When we got to our room, it was breathtaking. The room looked exactly as the pictures on the website. The jacuzzi in our terrace was great. There was a small issue with the water going down in the jacuzzi but one call to the front desk and within 10 minutes there was someone there to fix it. The air conditioner worked great, but honestly we did not need it. The ceiling fan was more than enough. Every night we had turn down service and each night there was towel art on the bed that made it even sweeter. The food was great. Not one problem with getting sick. We even drank water at the restaurants. The water provided is filtered and/or bottled. The specialty restaurants were all good; but my favorite was the Italian and the Steakhouse. Breakfast buffet was very good, alot of choices. The beach bar was great also, as well as the Crepe section. The beach was the nicest beach I have ever been to. The water was a little rough, but I think it was probably due to the rain and slight cold front. The pool was very clean as well. The grounds are very nicely kept, we always saw people cleaning and working on the grounds. One thing that I have to put out there is that the workers at this resort are some of the nicest people we have ever encountered and very hard working. Yes, the clientele at this resort is primarily European. The ones that we came across were not very friendly but we weren't about to let anyone's rudeness spoil our vacation. We met some Canadians that were great and very friendly. There is smoking in this resort, primarily by the Europeans. The walk to the main lobby in the resort is slightly long, but after eating the food there, a nice walk is always good :-). There is relaxing music played in the path leading to the main lobby and the coati's are always walking around in the area. They are adorable. The animation team is fantastic. They walk around and mingle with the guests and I'm proud to say that we made some nice friends there. All in all, our experience at this resort was great. We will be returning in the near future, but with our two girls next time. As I mentioned above, the workers were fantastic, and unfortunately I cannot name everyone, but some that stood out to us were: Eduardo the GM, Gabrielle at the Privileged office, Roberto (Eduardo's assistant), Johnny at animations and last but surely not least Enrique at the beach bar. This man was one of the hardest working people there and every day he had a smile for us with a Dos XX in hand. :-) It was all good.

5 Thank carmen6596
Manitoba
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2011

Don't let the bumpy gravel road leading up to this resort let you think it's anything but an immaculate, quiet resort nestled in the Riviera jungle. My husband and I spent 2 glorious weeks at Catalonia Playa Maroma and we could have spent another 2. If you want a place where you can completely relax this is where you need to be.

We were among a handful of english speaking Canadians but that didn't keep us from getting to know the amazing staff and other Canadians visiting the resort. In fact it brought us Canadians closer together! Unfortunately the language barrier did keep us from really getting to know some of the other guests but they were mostly friendly regardless. Our room was in the privalleged section and though we didn't get the king sized bed we were hoping for we were happy with the room over all and didn't bother trying to change. The room was amazingly clean however the air conditioning didn't work overly well (room 4106 incase the management wants to know) Luckily my husband and I are used to not having a/c so the fan along with the a/c was good enough. :)

The resort itself has an extremely relaxed atmosphere. The clientele seems a little more "high class" for lack of a better word and eventhough there were people having a good time it never got out of control. Most of the time people were sitting at a table or one of the great couches in the lobby playing cards and having a cappuccino. (which is AMAZING by the way) The animation team is unbelievable, speaking all 4 common languages of the resort; italian, spanish, french, and english. A special thank you to Jhonny for making our stay extra fabulous!

My husband and I are fitness competitors so the gym facilities were a concern at first. We couldn't find a picture at the time of booking but we were surprised to find it had everything we needed! Oh except for a matching 5lb and 10lb dumbell for the ones that are there. I had to use 5lb plates most of the time. The air conditioning isn't on most of the time but I think that's because the room isn't air tight. We made the best of it and embraced the extra hard workouts. The shops on site are amazing and not too badly priced though most of the stuff you can find in Playa Del Carmen should you be there. Unfortunately I didn't get around to using the spa so I can't tell you how it is. The food was always amazing. In the buffett & the 3 al la cartes. You MUST go to Tortuga and have the Portobello Maroma and french onion soup. Being in the fitness industry eating somewhere other then home can be hard but I had no problems at all.

The long walkway from the main lobby to the rooms/gym/beach was never a problem except for when it rained of course. In fact we liked being farther away from the lobby since that's where the disco and entertainment stage is so should we turn in early we couldn't hear anything from the room. Speaking of the disco and entertainment stage, the disco was so much fun! Most of the staff stick around and dance the night away with you. The dj plays newer music which is great and liked by everyone. We saw the majority of the entertainment on stage through our trip and all of the shows were fantastic. I would like to see some more singers however. :)

The beach is of course amazing. Beautifully white and soft. If you can't find a chair, walk over to the far right and there is staff washing some off. They'll grab a chair and bring it out for you. As for topless tanning I can say I was one of a handful of people doing it as I had to avoid the tan lines. Besides it was something to check off the ol' "bucket list' ;). The water is amazing though always moving. The wind blows all the time so it kicks up the water a little but not too bad at all. The angel fish that hang out in the area are completely harmless but quite curious. Bring a banana and they'll be your best friend all day!

I'm not sure what else I can say besides this was the best vacation I've ever had. I was worried about staying in one place for so long but it was amazing. Again the atmosphere is very relaxed so if you're looking to party this resort is not for you. Also there is no free shuttle as mentioned in a previous review by the management but it's $20 each way to get to Playa Del Carmen. I also recommend going to Coco Bongo while you're there. I feel completely relaxed and refreshed after staying at Catalonia Playa Maroma and I will definitely be back again!

4 Thank chantelle_enns
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,471 reviews
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#68 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#4 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,672 reviews

Been to Catalonia Playa Maroma? Share your experiences!