“Lovely place, if they could get their booking system right...”
Review of The Maine Hideaway

The Maine Hideaway
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brooklin
The Maine Hideaway
Ranked #1 of 3 Brooklin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 November 2009

My husband and I had booked a room at the DragonFlye Inn a couple of months in advance. When we turned up, we were greeted at the door by a shocked face and the owner asking us if they were expecting us? I said we had booked the room ages ago and he hurried off to check the computer, as if he didn't believe us. The computer was down, and he (I felt) very grudgingly agreed that we could stay but was very unwelcoming and unfriendly. (I cannot say the same for his wife, who was lovely). We were shown the room, but he seemed so stressed by our arrival that we decided not to stay and he seemed very relieved. On my return home I found the booking confirmation and forwarded it to the owner to ensure we hadn't been charged, he curtly replied that we hadn't, but did not offer one word of apology for the mistake that they had obviously made. Of course these things happen, but it seems very unprofessional to me to not own up and say sorry. It's too bad as it seemed a lovely place. If you do decide to go, just make sure you ring up a week or so before your booking to confirm that they are expecting you!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sierra7

Reviewed 23 May 2009

Simply magical. The DragonFlye Inn was beautiful, perfectly clean, and located on a quiet street at the edge of the village of Brooklin, Maine. The hosts were wonderfully friendly and helpful, yet entirely unobtrusive. The suite was huge (more like a little apartment than a room), and very well decorated. LOVED the brand new tempurpedic mattress… except that we did not really want to get out of it in the mornings. But, then, the waft of baking banana bread and rich / strong coffee tempted us out of our nest. We talked about the wonderful breakfast (quiche with a bits of lobster and scallop) all day. We had such a wonderful time walking around Brooklin, visiting the library, shops and galleries. We rode the Inn’s bikes to the beach down the street once a day. I can honestly say that we have never had a nicer trip to Maine. Thank you, Natasha and Joe… we will be back next year.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TideDrifter
Reviewed 12 September 2008

The Dragonflye Inn is a lovely bed and breakfast situated near the tip of a quiet bay (Naskeag Point) on the Blue Hill Peninsula in Maine. The Inn itself is beautiful - a huge old white house in a secluded setting - and the rooms are each unique, quite large and extremely comfortable. I especially liked the location - it's a quick 5 minute walk down to the ocean, where you can enjoy a secluded visit with the gulls and fishing boat. And it's a short drive from the town of Bluehill, Deer Isle Island, and other places of interest in Maine. I would especially recommend visiting the Good Life Farm, (www.goodlife.org) in nearby Harborside, if you're interested in sustainable living or gardening.

The owners are a young couple and very friendly. The Inn serves breakfast during the high season, but since I was there in the off-season, I did not get to try it (there is a reduction in the price when the season changes). All in all, I had a great time staying here, and would not hesitate to do so again.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
4  Thank 522mardees

Been to The Maine Hideaway? Share your experiences!