“Place was great, but the Owner was VERY rude and inhospitable.”
Review of Brooklin Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brooklin
Brooklin Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Brooklin B&B and Inns
Bountiful, Utah
“Place was great, but the Owner was VERY rude and inhospitable.”
Reviewed 29 July 2012

My family and I booked the Brooklin Inn for a place to stay for a friends wedding. We arrived and were shown to our rooms. Throughout the stay we were asked several times which rooms we were staying in and who put us in our room. We mentioned several times that the lady at the front showed us to our rooms when we arrived. Chip (the owner) implied that we were put in the wrong room upon arrival. We happily offered to move rooms if there was a problem. He told us it was fine. We were than asked again about our rooms the following day. I became very annoying. When we went to check out Chip tried to charge us extra money from our quoted price. Luckily we had our itinerary to show him what we were quoted for the room. When we showed him he became very rude and started to yell at us. Very unprofessional!!!! He claimed since we were in the wrong room that we had to pay more for the room we were in. We calmly explained to him that we were put in our room by the lady at the front desk when we arrived. He continued to raise his voice and yell at us. We were very shocked by his response. It was the worse experience I have had, especially knowing that it was the actual owner. We will Never stay here again because of Chip and how we were treated. It was Horrible. Besides Chip, the place was very pleasant and we would recommend this place. Rooms were nice, food was delicious and everyone else was very pleasant. But after being yelled at by the owner, we will never come back.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
13 Thank zach p

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The Brooklin Inn was our first B&B experience and it exceeded all our expectations. The building and decor couldn't be more charming from the amazing food in the main dining room to the laid back Pub downstairs. The entire staff was very friendly and helpful. If you’re looking for the true New England B&B experience and want some R&R away from the tourist crowds of Bar Harbor than this is the place to go.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Framingham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 June 2012

This place is great. My girlfriend and I wanted to get away for a few days, so we headed up to Brooklin to see some family, and try our luck with a bed and breakfast we had heard good things about. Right when we arrived we noticed the owners were so kind and hospitable, which really makes you feel good about spending your money to stay and eat somewhere. Almost right after we arrived we decided to sit down for dinner after the long car ride. The dining area is gorgeous, it has a very clean, warm and comfortable vibe to it and at night the lighting is great. The menu offered some very different things that my girlfriend and I thought was great, we actually had a hard time deciding what to eat. The food was honestly incredible. The fish was fresh as any fish I could imagine, and the recipes were quite different which again was very refreshing. The service was excellent, the owner even stopped by to see how things were going and we sparked up a friendly conversation, really nice couple. After the meal, we were able to have a nice conversation with the Chef, Tyson. What a great guy. He's got great experience (as you can tell by the first bite of your dish) and personality to match. Very kind people. We also asked the owners, Chip and Gail, if there were any good lunch spots, hiking trails, beach areas etc. to visit on our free day. Needless to say they knew the area very well and led us to a beautiful beach and a few great hiking spots. One of the spots even had a waterfall!! The bed was very comfortable, that combined with half a day's hiking made for a great meal. The next morning, we went downstairs to inquire about breakfast and Chip was standing by to make it fresh for us right there. We sat at a table where delicious granola, fresh coffee and cold OJ were already waiting, and shortly after Chip brought us each a delicious 3 cheese omelet with a side of bacon and potatoes. Easily one of the best breakfasts i've had in a long time. That night, we also made a point to check out the pub. What an awesome place to hang out. Has a welcoming traditional pub feel with great local beers on tap, including a few american favorites, and excellent, excellent food. The choices for pub food were great and the food was even better. After a few drinks and some pizza, a crowd of locals rolled in and we had some great conversation and made a few new friends. All in all, this place really made our trip. I sincerely mean that. I am a fan of trying out different places when I revisit areas, but honestly, there is no chance that I'm going to pass up another visit to the Brooklin in when I'm in town.

Room Tip: Large, comfortable beds. One room is enough for a family of 4 or less.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Slater F
Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I must say the food was great,Felt sorry for the chef listening to The owner belittling him as he was trying to have a conversation about the menu.Surprising he didn't walk out.The service was good but you could cut the friction with a knife everyone was on edge.Must see WilliamZN.He put it perfectly.The food is wonderful the owner not so.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank CarolGuilds
emmett, Owner at Brooklin Inn, responded to this review, 25 September 2012
I am sorry you had to hear any of the conversation between me and the chef. We had to let him go shortly thereafter to the relief of everyone on the staff. Sometimes its hard to maintain the level of food and service we wish to offer. I hope you might be back in Brooklin and give us another chance.
Chip Angell, Owner
The Brooklin Inn
Paris/Boston
Reviewed 19 August 2011

We stayed only one night, and the place is very sweet. I know they have a restaurant that people love, but we ate in the "Irish Pub" which was actually the highlight of our stay.
The Inn prides itself on its personal touch, and that it is not on many sites, and that's great. The owner is quite nice, too. They really go all out on the nice toiletries in the bathrooms, too, providing not just soap and shampoo, but a whole kit with toothbrushes and paste, a razor and cream, and a comb. It is very thoughtful.
We were on our way down from Quebec to Boston, and my husband has family connections (including his father's memorial) in Brooklin, so it was an emotional day. That said, we were quite tired, and wanted to just relax when we got to the Inn. Unfortunately, there is no lounge area, and it was raining outside, so we went up to our room. The room was nice, very "inn" with 2 double beds. At the time of booking, I asked if it would do for a family of 4 (kids 12 and 9) and they said yes. Well, it was fine, but a bit cramped, since we could not go down to a living room area to read etc.
The owner was nice, but I do have to say that after contacting the Inn by telephone 3X (I had read that it sometimes gets mixed-up in a folksy kind of way) and also requesting an email, he said "oh, you are the one who I did not have a phone number for". I shrugged this off, as the room was there in our name anyway, but am not sure what I would have done if it had not been.
The highlight was the "Pub" which is quite small, but fully stocked with Guinness and a couple of very fine local beers on draft, as well as any other type of drink you might want. They serve food, which was passable, but that was made up for by the fantastic barmaid (an Irish/Brit term) Blossom, who is a grad student in anthropology. Blossom was not only kind and efficient, but also had a lot to tell us about the area and what could be found around the beaches. I only wish she was in grad school down here. We had a great time with her.
The last thing I will say, is that I wish they kept their literature and website current as to prices. The additional money we were charged (over the printed and quoted rate) was not really significant, but it is always nice to know. The room rate we were charged was $10.00 more than quoted (before taxes) and we were also charged $5.00 per child. I feel it it important to be upfront about rates, and I asked before we arrived, and was quoted $125.00. I mentioned the kids, but no one said anything about an additional charge for them. Maybe it was for the breakfast, but again, that was not mentioned. I don't mind paying it, the place was worth it, but they should really tell people what they will really be charging.
As to the breakfast, I'd plan on eating an early lunch. 2 small, flat, pancakes and a thin strip of bacon was on offer. There was coffee and juice, so again, fine for the price, but the literature and the owner created the impression that the "full inn breakfast" would be a big feast. It was ok. The coffee alone would have been fine, though.
Overall, if you like B&Bs Inns etc. you could do worse, and I hear the main restaurant is good. We loved the woman in the pub, and the beds were clean and comfortable. Just make sure you know what you need before you arrive. In the rain, we needed a place to be for an hour or so to hang out, especially with kids. If you don't need that, it is a fine place to stay.

Room Tip: Well, all the rooms are nice if you are a B&B person, just make sure to triple check that they k...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Momof2Paris_Boston
Bologna, Italy
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Once upon a time a place like the Brooklin Inn might have been common--small, intimate, welcoming and lovely. Coastal development everywhere in the world is rapidly putting an end to such finds. My husband and I arrived without a reservation, found a double room with a shared bath (but no one was in the other room, so it was private) for $115 with a full breakfast. We dined in the restaurant, which has a stupendous wine list and with an equally stupendous menu. The service was excellent, but most of all, the friendliness of the innkeepers--Chip and Gayle Angell made our stay special. If we didn't have to get back to CT we would have stayed longer. We both highly recommend this spot on the beautiful coast of Maine.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Prosperina
Houston, TX
Reviewed 14 December 2010

Everything was perfect - the room, the food and the hosts. We were only there for one night but had a great stay. The dinner in the restaurant was top notch and the wine selections were wonderful. Our bed and bath were both cozy and comfortable. I would definately go back if given the opportunity.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Been to Brooklin Inn? Share your experiences!