“Below Expectations”

Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Ernakulam
Chennai
“Below Expectations”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I booked this property only for use for a few hours during the day as I had work at the adjacent Oberon Mall. Was also keen to check out the property which had rave reviews from a number of Trip Advisor members.
Located on a small lane adjacent to MAJ Hospital in Edappally, the property spread over an acre of land looks quite charming. The rooms however are just average though there can be no complaints about cleanliness. For those used to staying in branded hotels you will find this way below expectations. Printed bed cover, poor choice of furniture( moulded plastic chairs etc..) very ordinary bath linen and no room service are all drawbacks....not even possible to have a cup of tea/coffee(the only thing served at the hotel!) without sugar as it is all pre mixed!
Very cordial staff though, especially Mr. Francis who I presume is the owner. Overall, not professionally managed and I would say overpriced a bit. However it is OK for some one like me for whom the location was important and had to use the property only for a few hours.
A bit surprised to see so many reviews on trip advisor rating the property so high.

Room Tip: If you have work at The Oberon Mall or The Lulu Mall , this is a very well located hotel. No foodis...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

2 Thank jeswant
palmgrovekerala1, Owner at Palm Grove Service Villa, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sparing your valuable time to post your review on Trip Advisor.We strive to offer our guests the very best of services, but somehow we could not live up to your
expectations.Sorry for that. Ours is a budget accommodation,not fancy but down to earth with neat and clean rooms surrounded by greenery. As you can see from other reviews on Trip Advisor, most of our guests feel that the rooms are reasonably priced and that it is value for money.I am happy to know that you found the ambience at Palm Grove to be charming and that you have no complaints about cleanliness.We look forward to welcome you back to our villa the next time you visit Kochi.

Francis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed 1 August 2014

With the first and last 4 days of our 15 days long Kerala trip at luxury hotels at Cochin and Kovalam, we decided to stay at the Palm Grove Service villa for a week, just to be able to meet friends and family, and be able to shop etc.

First things first, the price vs quality ratio is really in favor of quality.

We had two options of ac rooms at 1500 per night and non ac rooms at 900-1000 rupees per night. We obviously opted for the ac room, as the humidity and the mosquitoes in Cochin could be a killer.
Neat room with attached shower (with hot water). A dresser mirror and table. One double bed (mattress was sub par, gave us both backaches every morning)

The doors and windows have a netted frame to prevent mosquitoes entering which we found very effective and a big relief.

Bed covers n sheets were of average quality. Blankets looked used n worn.

There's a tiny led tv in the room with some viewing options for every age group.

The place is nicely maintained. There has been some attempt at landscaping the surrounding grounds, but its mostly filled up with a variety of trees and plants.

Wifi connects well but there's almost never any internet on it. and the guys who run the place go to sleep by 11pm and it feels bad to go over and knock on their doors to wake them up for something silly as restarting their router!

There is no way to call the reception attendant. We had to call the guys mobile number or go over and knock on his door.

There is a nice badminton court with paver blocks.They have 4 rackets and feathered shuttle cocks for guests to use as well.

As this is a budget place, be prepared to get a lot of noises from wailing infants to wedding party groups who take adjoining rooms and never sleep and make a lot of noise through the night. I once had to wake up at 230 am and to tell one such family to keep it low as we hadn't had any sleep the past couple days. To which the lady replied "we aren't making any noises, and even we haven't slept all day" i was a bit taken aback when I got no reaction on mentioning this incident to Denny the resident manager !

The staff are nice and helpful, but one can hardly call them professional. There was this one particular bald chap, who helped move luggage and wash the car in the mornings.. Every now and then he would take a walk to the back side of the property, and urinate in the open simply lifting his lungi (a sarong-like garment wrapped around the waist and extending to the ankles worn by men in kerala). He would walk by while we played badminton every day, and his trip would end with taking a leak and then walking back all the way to the front office, where the staff could be seen reading newspapers or chitchatting.

No food of any kind is prepared or served for guests. They do however help to bring in takeaway food that you order from nearby restaurants, which is a nice thing.

We bought out drinks and they would keep it in their refrigerator to cool off.

The best part of living here is that we could go to Lulu Mall, which is really big and has a lot of quality stores to shop and eat at. They also have a PVR cinema multiplex at Lulu, which really offer the best seats in Cochin to watch movies in.

There is also a liquor store (BEVCO..by Kerala govt) by the service road about 5 minutes walk from the property, which is great in case you would like to buy yourself some beer etc.

Plenty of restaurants close by as well.. The location is great and is quite central to pretty much where ever you wish to travel to within or around kochi.

We booked from booking.com and got a message that 1000 rupees would be charged to the card at the time of booking. It was also mentioned in the booking confirmation document. I never paid any more attention to the same. When we checked in, the owner mentioned that they haven't charged that amount at the time of booking, and asked me to check back with my bank. I believe the man was telling the truth, so I never cross checked. But it did create some confusion and anxiety in my mind while checking in.

There is ample parking space for about 6-8 cars up front, and the property gates are closed for the night. There isn't any security guard present. But considering this being the heart of Kochi, I am sure there wouldn't be any trouble of that sort.

This service villa is minimal yet doesn't keep you wanting for anything. For the budget traveler, you have enough and more on offer from this place. I will easily visit again, and also recommend this place to anyone who wishes a nice clean safe place to stay which is great value for the money you pay.

Room Tip: We stayed in 803, its on the first floor, overlooking the badminton court and a lot of trees beyond...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

5 Thank ThePulpitRock
palmgrovekerala1, Owner at Palm Grove Service Villa, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear guest,

Greetings from Palm Grove service villa. Many thanks for taking time to write a review on your stay at our villa. It is a pleasure to know that you found our villa to be a nice, clean & safe place to stay. Sorry for the inconvenience you faced because of the interruption in internet broadband service. It is the feedback from our valued guests that help us to correct our shortfalls. Thanks a lot for bringing to our notice the serious mistake on the part of one of our staff member (bald chap ).We have taken necessary steps to educate him as well as other staff members about the good manners to be followed in public. Thank you once again for choosing Palm Grove for your stay in Kochi.

Hyderabad, India
Reviewed 30 July 2014

great place with family, good atmosphere and nature is around you with all birds, rabbits e.t.c., and the maintenance of the place is very clean and management is very helpful and miss is only restaurant...

Room Tip: tennis court side rooms are good
1 Thank praveen998
palmgrovekerala1, Owner at Palm Grove Service Villa, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sparing your valuable time to share your experience with Trip Advisor. I am delighted to know that you had a nice time at Palm Grove and that you liked the atmosphere at our villa.Thanks for your encouraging feedback . We are really honoured to have you stay with us and sincerely look forward to welcome you back to our villa in future.

Kochi (Cochin), India
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

This place just took me back to college days where we had long verandas with lots of unknown trees popping out from everywhere. Stayed here for a day and it was worth. Even though it's but difficult to reach out this place as Rick guys and cabbies still not familiar with this hotel. Rooms were very well maintained with all the necessary facilities. On my return I forgotten my passport at their office but thank god to their helpful nature who kept the passport intact for 3 days till I returned to collect it back.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sparing your valuable time to share your experience with Trip Advisor. I am delighted to know that you had a nice time at Palm Grove and that you liked the ambience at our villa. Once again thank you for choosing Palm Grove for your stay in Kochi. Looking forward to welcome you back to our villa in future and assuring you of the very best of attention and service at all times.

Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum), India
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I've stayed at this place during last week for 1 day and I simply loved this place. Its so pleasant and peaceful. Rooms are cosy but clean and well maintained. Restaurant is a miss at this home saty but one can find food in a walk away distance. When it comes to me I prefer having tea served to my room whenever needed, which is absolutely missing here. Otherwise very decent stay for a family.

100% rating for management and staff. They didnt hesitate to wake up early and accept my check out although I failed to inform them in advance. Also they were really kind enough to arrange me cab at those very unsual timing. I'm so thankful.

This is located very close to Lulu Mall and this where one can find decent restaurants too. We shopped until 11:30pm here and walked down this home stay with no hassles, though I dont advise for all, hardly anyone seen in the streets.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
PalmGroveKerala, Owner at Palm Grove Service Villa, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for choosing Palm Grove for your stay in Ernakulam and for taking time to post your valuable review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to know that you had a pleasant stay at our villa. Thanks for your encouraging feedback and compliments .We have room service facility in our property. On request we can we get coffee / tea or any items served in your room. In addition to this we have coffee/tea & soft drink vending machines.We look forward to your continued visits and take this opportunity to assure you of our very best attention and service at all times.

Kannur, India
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Had stayed at Palmgrove for just one day. The experience was unique. Clean rooms. Fresh bedsheets. Open corridors. Mosquito nets. Excellent ambiance. Shuttle court. Warm staff (especially Danny chettan!) Reasonable rates. One wish remains. Could not spend a night there. Looking forward to a night's stay soon. Also the rains spoiled chance to roam around the garden :(

I'd have given 5 stars if there was easier access for transport and food, though there is an auto stand just 100mts away. There are small restaurants just outside Palmgrove.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DrAnand1977
PalmGroveKerala, Owner at Palm Grove Service Villa, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your lovely review and for sparing time to share your experience with Trip Advisor.I am really happy to know that you had an unique experience at Palm Grove and that you liked the ambience at our villa.Thanks for your encouraging feedback.We are honoured to have you stay with us . Looking forward to welcome you back to our villa and assuring you of the very best of attention and service at all times.

Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I have stayed at many hotels, big and small, during my travels across the country but nothing so far induced me to write a review. When travelling on a tight budget, you make some mental preparations about the hotels you can find - that you should expect no greats views, no spacious rooms and definitely no concierge. The reason I am writing this review is that all those views have changed since I visited Palm Grove Villa. We booked a non- AC room and found it to be exceptionally well-maintained and spacious (definitely above budget hotel standards). This holiday home is ensconced in an expansive lawn in the middle of the hustle bustle of city and yet you wake up to soothing greenery and chirping of birds as if you are transported to a far away forest resort.

The rooms have all the basic amenities like hot water, ironing etc. so not having intercom in this age of mobile phones may not be much of an issue unless you are travelling international as all the useful numbers are provided in the room. As for the personal attention they provide to attend to all your needs is truly commendable. They indeed go out of their way to make your stay comfortable.

I had booked in advance and paid in full for the room so I was a bit wary that I might regret my decision but all my doubts just disappeared as I set foot on the property. Mr. Francis deserves a special note of appreciation for ensuring such a high standard for a budget hotel. It may actually serve as a role model for others in that class. A special mention must be made for Mr. Deny, the manager and all the rest of staff, who were extremely helpful during our stay.

Lastly, I thank all the previous reviewers of this hotel for if they had not done their bit I would never have ended up at such a beautiful place. So I am just paying it forward.

Whenever I come to Cochin again, I would like to stay here, even when I am not on a tight budget.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floor are bigger.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

PalmGroveKerala, Owner at Palm Grove Service Villa, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear guest,

Greetings from Palm Grove service villa. Many thanks for taking time to write a wonderful review on your stay at our villa. It is a pleasure to know that you found the ambience and service worthy of appreciation. I am glad to know that you are satisfied with your stay at Palm Grove and that we could meet your expectation. I particularly appreciate your good words about the service of our team members and I am really very happy to share your review with them. I was a pleasure to be your host. Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to our villa .

Francis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ernakulam
The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam
Sajhome
Sajhome
#4 of 202 in Kochi (Cochin)
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,407 reviews
Tea Bungalow
Tea Bungalow
#36 of 202 in Kochi (Cochin)
Kochi Marriott Hotel
Kochi Marriott Hotel
#1 of 29 in Ernakulam
Namasthe Fort Kochi
Namasthe Fort Kochi
#18 of 202 in Kochi (Cochin)
Aiswarya Hotel
Aiswarya Hotel
#11 of 29 in Ernakulam

Been to Palm Grove Service Villa? Share your experiences!