“Business travelers- Yes; Tourists- no”

The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam
Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Ernakulam
“Business travelers- Yes; Tourists- no”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

If you're coming to Kochi/ Ernakulam/ Cochin to see Chinese fishing nets, spice markets, Kalari, local color, you should stay in that neighborhood and not in this hotel, which is 45 minutes away by car and bridge and 20 minutes away by boat and tut-tut. There are good hotels closer to the action, and what the Gateway offers is a Luxe snob appeal that caters to the class differences to be found in modern, well-appointed hotels. Note that Gateway charges extra for WiFi and for anything else that the business traveller will not mind on their expense account, but that the tourist traveller will find aggressively opportunistic. The Gateway Hotel is in the downtown section which is completely snarled in the traffic made worse by the ongoing construction of the future Kochi Metro System, so do not arrive during rush hour.

Room Tip: good rooms about 30 Km away
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 4Triangular
gateway e, Front Office Manager at The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to read your review, your comments in full will certainly be distributed at all levels . I assure you that the lapses which were felt by you are noted & actioned .Overall thank you for leaving such positive comments .

We wish to welcome you back at the Gateway Ernakulam

Sumit Nayar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 8 March 2014

reached the place with ease and the check in process was quite smooth & effective ... reached around 11.30 in the night post a hectic road trip and this quick check in helped .. the room allotted was quite small and adequate for a night over .. the facilities in the room including TV, Cable, Toiletries was adequate. the in room dining was pretty good and was delivered on time. The buffet breakfast has limited option but south indian is very good :-) the view from the breakfast area is marred by a large fence and not sure as to how this is useful !!!

Please do ensure that you wake up in the morning ( preferably early ) and visit the Marine Drive walkway which is situated right next door .. this is a 1 1/2 Km walkaway and is really really good .. should help you with your appetite for the assault on the appams & stew :-) :-)

My Room had a very limited view of the water way and this was sad news .. the hotel was kind enough to apologise and promise me a special outing next time i come around :-) ... Hopefully they will remember !

Overall a excellent place considering the Cost and over all delivery & service experience

Room Tip: Please avoid rooms on the right side of the property .. i was in room 301 and the view was really po...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
gateway e, Front Office Manager at The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Dear Mr Giridhar,

Thank you for your feedback on the Trip Advisor, it is a pleasure to read your review, your comments in full will certainly be distributed at all levels .I am also delighted to read that you enjoyed our south indian offering at the Bubble .We take our guest comments positively as it gives us a feedback were to improve. I once again thank you for your patronage with the Taj Hotels & Palaces.

Me & my team wish to welcome you back at the Gateway Ernakulam.

Windermere, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We stayed for 4 nights in February. We had a lovely room with Excellent sea views.
Lots of nice touches. Drink in Reception on arrival, invitation to an orientation evening cruise.
Travel desk very helpful, train tickets organised. Reception organised Taxi trips etc.,
Bubbles Restaurant served very good food, think they are proud of their Chefs who pop out to talk to you! Nice touch.
Would definitely stay again.
PS Only four sun beds at the pool - always taken. Need more?

Room Tip: High up gives amazing views.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
gateway e, Front Office Manager at The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for the feedback. We are glad that you had a very welcoming experience at the hotel.. and thank you for all the positive ratings of the experience.

We have discussed your feedback on the poolsun beds, your comments in full will certainly be distributed at all levels .We take our guest comments positively as it gives us a feedback were to improve.& to maintain high standards of product and service .Feedback such as yours go a long way in helping us to meet the standards through continuous improvement and we thank you for the feedback.

Me & my team look forward to welcome you back .

Athens, Greece
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Good location, Beautiful views from the rooms, well kept establishment and very well serviced. Staff was very welcoming, extremely helpful and accommodated all our needs. They also arranged a very nice day trip for us in the surrounding areas. We ate the Bubble Cafe restaurant, which had excellent selection of food at all times and reasonable prices for western visitors. Clean room, comfortable beds, spacious and clean bathroom. Maybe a bit aged, and probably cannot be compared to some more modern 5 star hotels, nevertheless, this is a very good hotel at reasonable price. One last note: Charging for wi-fi in our days is simply unacceptable; please don't....

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
gateway e, Front Office Manager at The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Guest

We have discussed your feedback on Wifi, your comments in full will certainly be distributed at all levels .We take our guest comments positively as it gives us a feedback were to improve.& to maintain high standards of product and service .Feedback such as yours go a long way in helping us to meet the standards through continuous improvement and we thank you for the feedback.

Look forward to have you with us in the near future.

Hudson, Wisconsin
Reviewed 22 February 2014

While traveling around India the Gateway family never disappoints!

Enjoyed the friendly staff, great facilities top notch restaurants, The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam had to offer.

Special thanks to Debasish Nayak Manager of Bubble Café & the team at Sian Restaurant, food and service was outstanding.

Also the like to thank the room service staff very friendly professional and high standards for room cleanliness and very efficient.

The sea facing rooms have great views and are very quiet.

Thank you for continuing to deliver the brand promise.

Room Tip: sea facing rooms have great views and are very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
gateway e, Front Office Manager at The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on the Trip Advisor, it is a pleasure to read your review, your comments in full will certainly be distributed at all levels .We take our guest comments positively as it gives us a feedback were to improve. I once again thank you for your patronage with the Taj Hotels & Palaces.

Me & my team wish to welcome you back at the Gateway Ernakulam.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Spending many days a year staying in hotels I can be very critical, especially when it comes to service. I just spent a week at the Gateway hotel for a business meeting and thoroughly enjoyed it. I can be slightly demanding and the hotel was more than up for the challenge. Phone was not working in my room, mentioned it to reception, fixed within 15 minutes. Mentioned to reception that I wanted extra bottles of water in my room, done within 2 minutes. Needed a suit and shirt ironed urgently, done within 45 minutes.

My room did not face the ocean, rather it looked out over the court yard. There was a sofa, coffee table, 2 single beds, flat screen TV, safe, mini bar and plenty of space. The beds were a little hard and the flooring needs upgrading soon as it is beginning to show ware. The room was exceptionally clean. I even entered the room one time while they were mid way through cleaning and had to ask them to clean as I needed to change. I thought for sure as I had interrupted them that they would miss something. However I left the room for about 30 minutes and came back in that time they had reentered the room finished cleaning and did a perfect job.

The airline had lost my bag and I mentioned this to reception. They asked for a copy of my claim with the airline and phoned the airline constantly, tracking my bag, keeping me informed of their progress and notifying me immediately when it was delivered.

Bubbles restaurant offers a decent breakfast, but really shines when it comes to the wonderful lunch buffet and evening dinner menu. Service is wonderful and friendly and again nothing is too much trouble. Same applies to the Asian restaurant which currently has a wonderful Chinese New Year menu that I would highly recommend.

The hotel bar is very noisy, they have a great female DJ, it is just too loud to carry on even a simple conversation and hard for the waiters to understand what you are ordering. If they took the sound down a notch or two it would be a great place to relax and have drinks. But due to the shear volume of the music I would not recommend it if you want to have any form of conversation as you simply can not hear what anyone says.

All of the staff whether in the hotel or restaurants are a joy. They give you a warm and friendly greeting when ever they see you, seem genuinely pleased you are there and will do anything they can to assist you. Really nothing is too much trouble, even from demanding customers like me.

I would highly recommend the Gateway hotel and hope I get to stay there again in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
gateway e, Front Office Manager at The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear Mr Lowery

Thank you for your feedback and review of the hotel. We are indeed glad that we could touch you to the extent that you were encouraged enough to do such a wonderful review for us.

At the outset, I would like to thank you for your patronage of Taj Hotels Resorts and Palaces. Your feedback is important to us by which we can measure our achievements and shortfalls, in providing the best of services to our valued guests.I am also delighted to read that you found our team very friendly and helpful & assure you that the lapses which were felt by you at the Bar are noted & are being actioned .

Me & my team look forward to welcome you to the hotel very soon.

London
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I would say this hotel has more of a business feel although it is pleasant enough for those on a holiday. It has more of a 4-star than 5-star feel and lacks the charm of Taj hotels I have visited in India. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The food at the Bubbles restaurant was fine with variety but I did find it a bit souless. It would have been nice to have an outside eating area but the pool was nice. I also enjoyed the evening cruise.

Room Tip: Room facing the water would be best
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Jimshy, Front Office Manager at The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for the Feedback and the positive ratings of facilities you have experienced.

We have introduced a roof top dining experience overlooking the ocean / harbour last week on request and is a prefered option for many guests as of now. Though it is on an introductory offer with limited menu, it is truly a delightful experience for many guests as you suggested.

We look forward to have you back with us shortly and we would be previleged to exceed your expectations..

Front Office Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ernakulam
Vivanta by Taj - Malabar
Vivanta by Taj - Malabar
#8 of 212 in Kochi (Cochin)
Kochi Marriott Hotel
Kochi Marriott Hotel
#1 of 30 in Ernakulam
Trident, Cochin
Trident, Cochin
#18 of 212 in Kochi (Cochin)
Palm Grove Service Villa
#3 of 30 in Ernakulam
Radisson Blu Kochi
Radisson Blu Kochi
#5 of 30 in Ernakulam

Been to The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam? Share your experiences!