“HOTEL GRAND - COCHIN”

Bengaluru, India
“HOTEL GRAND - COCHIN”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Hotel Location:
This hotel is situated in the heart of KOCHI / COCHIN on the famous MG Road and is very to close to the busy shopping area in Kochi like Marine Drive and easily accessible to the railway station and the bus station and traveling on the same road takes us to the other part of Kochi like the Wellington Island, Fort Kochi and such other places.

Hotel Parking:
This hotel has a real huge parking space and also provides a sheltered parking as well, people traveling by own transport need not worry on this issue at all; this is a major advantage for people driving down.

Hotel Rooms:
As the Hotel name tells, it is truly a Hotel “GRAND”.
I would rate this hotel equivalent to any other 4 star properties.
I had opted for a Executive room and had requested for a road facing room which was really big, the major plus point of this category of the room was the size of the room, and it came with 2 double beds, the only drawback I saw was that even though the rooms were upgraded to the current requirement, the room still has a old TV, which I feel can be done away with it.
Otherwise, I did not experience any short coming in this property as well as the room. It was truly a good experience by me and my family.

Hotel Restaurant:
The in house restaurant is good. The complimentary buffet breakfast offered by them is basic and good with a mix of continental and veg and Non Veg on the menu. Being a south Indian and a Pure vegetarian I felt that the spread offered on the menu for Veggies was too little or I could say it was nothing, my suggestion would be is to have another one / two more of the typical south Indian Veg snacks on the table.

Hotel Staff:
A round of applause to the service offered by the people from the room service as well as the house keeping.
But the staff in the front desk lacked on the info about various tourist hot spots in Kochi, they were not even updated on the distance to the near by major tourist places.
Probably I think this might be a drawback for a tourist who wants to explore the city by himself, for a business traveler there should be no problem.

Overall:
A clean, and a very good hotel, to sum it up in all I personally highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Request for a Executive room facing the road, the only advantage is that these rooms are really spac...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Kiran K
, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel Cochin, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Dear Guest, thank you for the coment.... all room Televisions will be changed in few months time along with our renovation work also the seperate travel desk will be working more efficiently from today..see you once again

Jeevaraj
Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 22 May 2012

The Grand Hotel is very clean, well located and the rooms are smartly designed with lovely wooden floors and excellent bathrooms.

There is a plasma TV, good selection of channels and comfortable beds.
Breakfast is excellent and service at the breakfast room was impeccable. So far so good.

Unfortunately, what the hotel gains in interior deco and cleanliness it looses by the total lack of privacy awarded to the guest by the housekeeping and the receptionists.

I checked in for a one night stay with the intention of checking it out and possibly extending for the rest of my 3 week stay in Cochin. Upon arrival I was given a key card. I had no bags and declined the offer to be escorted to my room (in any case I had seen the room 3 days earlier) and headed to my room to find the key card didn't work. I wondered whether I misheard the receptionist and that my room was 104 not 114. The housekeeping guy in charge of the 1st floor leaped to attention and asked me what room I stay in to which I responded: " I think 114 but I got nothing in writing and the key doesn't work". He went downstairs and returned the key that was now in working order. Five minutes later he knocked on the door and asked whether A/C was working and I thanked him for his concern and switched the privacy light on.

From my experience in India in the past, hotel staff tend to be nosy and overpowering, usually betting that the 'Gora' (European tourist) will take every violation of his/her privacy as part of the India experience and can be coerced into tipping by being bothered. In the past few years things have changed in much of metro India (especially Mumbai and Delhi) with increased professionalism. This trend apparently has not reached Cochin. At 8am I got 3 long and persistent calls (at 5 minute intervals) that woke me up (I unplugged the phone in my room, but alas, forgot to do the same with the bathroom phone). I didn't bother to answer them.

Five minutes later, the housekeeper changed his tactic by deciding to hoover right next to my door for what seemed an eternity and making sure the housekeeping phone (adjacent to my room and in the hall less than 3 meters away) would ring in its loudest of loud rings every few minutes. At 8:30am I went to the breakfast room. Upon my return at 9:25am I made sure the privacy switch is still on but what is a red privacy light to an enthusiastic Indian housekeeper, as he came to knock on my door at 10:30am. My reply was knocking back from my side of the room without opening the door.

He then called the room to ask me if I would like the room cleaned and I said I didn't as I am checking out anyway at noon.
Then the receptionist called a few minutes later to "confirm" I was checking out today. I guess he wasn't able to contain his excitement should I extend another day because judging from the breakfast room attendance and the low season period occupancy was at most 20%...

If the hotel gets its act together and sets guidelines to its staff that guests shouldn't be treated as police academy cadets I will consider coming back.

Room Tip: stay away from room 114 and anywhere near the internal phones placed in the hall
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Not Your B
Sydney, NSW
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Excellent Location with Excellent Food served at it's most popular (amongst locals) restaurant, first night servcie and staff were very friendly and co-operative but the second night tey were very rude and were not co-operative at all, may be because of the strain they had as restaurant was full by locals

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 29 April 2012

I stayed there for a week on a business trip. The rooms were large and the bed was comfortable. On the downside, my room was very dark and the bathroom had no shelves to put my cosmetics etc. To adjust the AC, or even turn it off, seemed near impossible, in the end we concluded that the AC-remote in the room was just for show. If you cannot sleep if it's noisy, it is not a good place to be, but if you are sensitive to noise then I would probably recommend staying in a different part of town altogether. The restaurant downstairs has very good food.

Room Tip: I think the rooms that are not right next to the street are quieter
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank nette1922
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Restaurant has good Kerala style food and is packed at lunchtimes. Hotel is 4 levels and has recently renovated rooms. Beds are firm, Pillows are soft. Windows are double glazed & noise is minimal. Aircon and water were as expected. All rooms have nice solid timber floors. Three styles of rooms 1. Standard is smallest, 2. Executive is 50% larger with an old but comfy lounge, old TV but is the best value and has a nice outlook 3. Deluxe is similar in size to the Executive, has a bath 22" LCD TV but the balcony door lets street noise enter.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are spacious and less Noisy than the more expensive Deluxe rooms. Avoid room 207 nea...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark_n_Cheryl
Durham
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Short 15 minute walk to the Fort Cochin ferry. Don't go for the standard room, as they are tired and grubby, and you will also be tired in the morning as they are situated at the back overlooking the main hotel air conditioning plant. I transferred to a delux room after the first night, no complaints, of good 3 star quality. Food is good but not served in the restaurant all day, though they do tea and other drinks.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Grand hotel is one of the oldest hotels in Cochin and loved by locals and tourists alike. The food is excellent. Try the set meals , comes with rice,fish curry,veggies,yoghurt,rasam and dessert. We tried the kingfish fry which was good.
The service was bad, we were neglected for most of the meal until I had to call the captain and bring it to notice.
If you are staying at fort Cochin, don't worry about it, if in mainland Cochin it a must visit for at least a meal.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family