“Great accommodation, excellent breakfast”
Review of The Brunswick Inn

The Brunswick Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Brunswick B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 October 2013

The women whom we met here were really friendly and I got the impression that much care and attention is spent on small details. The main house has beautifully appointed lounges plus the breakfast rooms. There are two additional buildings (I think). We stayed in the Carriage House which has been renovated and had 5 or so rooms. On the ground and upper floor there were little sitting areas where a group could congregate for happy hour - with comfortable seating, a small fridge and coffee making equipment. We were in the basement - a large room containing a king and a single bed, plus a room with two singles - a family apartment. Bathroom was large and had a night light. We could hear footsteps in the lounge above and some loud noise at 4.30am - maybe a pump.
Breakfast was fresh fruit, yoghurt, granola; eggs Benedict, or your choice of eggs and sausage. Substantial and well presented.
It is located in a quiet pocket in the centre of Brunswick. Park and walk.
We felt very lucky to have found this place and it's only the early morning noise which prevents it getting full endorsement from me.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Brunswick Inn

Reviewed 10 October 2013

My dad and I visited Brunswick and stayed here. The accommodations were good, as was the breakfast, but what really upset us was that we were made to feel unwelcome in the parlor in the evening. Since there was not enough space in either of our bedrooms to review our maps and talk, we sat in the parlor. We were talking quietly, not disturbing anyone. I guess we were there too late for the innkeeper, as she came in at 10:00, and without saying a word, went around the room, turning off every single light except for the one by our sofa.

This ungracious act soured our experience. My dad and don't get to see each other very often, and to be effectively told to shut up and go to our rooms was completely rude. If you want to just go to your rooms once you get in, this place is ok. But if you want to enjoy the public rooms for their purpose of gathering and talking, go somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
ebhornor1, Owner at The Brunswick Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

As the owner of The Brunswick Inn, I want to apologize for the disappointing experience you had in the parlors during your stay. If any of our staff gave the impression that you were not welcome to be there and enjoy your time together, it was completely unintended. The parlors are here for our guests’ enjoyment, and the coffee and tea service that is set up there in the evening is part of the Inn’s invitation to enjoy this space after hours. Our innkeepers routinely lock up each night for security reasons, and perhaps in this instance the innkeeper was simply trying to respect your privacy by not interrupting. I agree that turning off almost all the lights is off-putting, so I have informed the staff that they should not do so. We pride ourselves on our wonderful staff, and if you read our other Trip Advisor reviews, you will see that they are praised for their service in almost every one. We hope that you will give us another chance to demonstrate the exceptional hospitality for which we are known.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

What a little gem! In an adorable, New England college town, staying in a quaint inn is really the way to go for a genuine "Maine" experience. There was the main house which I only was in during check-in but it seemed cute and well maintained. The staff was SO FRIENDLY and accommodating. They explained that there is self-serve coffee/tea and breakfast service in the morning in the main house though I was unable to take advantage of this. In the rear, there is free parking and 2 separate guest houses. I stayed in the house all the way in the rear (the Carriage House) and was surprised by how modern the décor was. When you enter, there is a nice living room/sitting area and a kitchen area with microwave and refrigerator. From there, there are all of the doors that lead to the separate bedrooms. I stayed in the basement of this house (room 9) which had 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. It appears as if this room may have experienced water damage at some point as the walls were slightly stained and there were quite a few spiders spotted during our short stay but it wasn't enough to make it feel dirty by any means (i.e. didn't seem musty or moldy - it was just an observation I made). The large, main room had a sitting area, twin bed, and large king bed with a doorway leading to the bathroom. The other doorway led to a nice sized room with 2 twin beds. The beds were comfortable and the room was very clean. Overall, I would stay in this hotel again and recommend it to a friend. We were very happy with our choice and felt that it really added to a true Maine weekend.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2013

In our tour of the Maritimes and USA this was one of our favorite places to stay. The front desk staff are so warm, friendly and helpful. Access to the breakfast area with coffee and tea all day is a great asset, we also sat in this area to play cards in the evening. Our rooms were so clean, comfortable and beautiful decor. The morning breakfast was beyond our expectations with so many hot choices, fresh granola, yogurt and more to choose from. The manager is to be commended on this grand Inn, everything was top notch.

Room Tip: any room you stay in at the Brunswick Inn will meet all your needs and you will have the best sleep...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2013

as travellers all over the world, we've yet to find another place with the warmth, comfort and pleasure this special bed and breakfast inn and it charming hosts and staff gave us!

the sight seeing, shopping, sea food and desserts added to the joy!

...and right in front of the inn we were regaled with spectacular enactments of the colonial war!!

Room Tip: face the road, in the main building which houses the restaurant
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2013

This is a second visit to the Brunswick Inn, and I am pleased to say that this vacation was even lovelier than our previous one. The staff is top-notch, the room was beautiful and comfortable, and the breakfasts outstanding. This is no "cold cereal in a canister" continental breakfast, but a buffet of freshly baked muffins, fresh fruit, home-made granola, yogurt, juices, coffee and a choice of three hot entrees! The weekend we were there the Inn hosted a musical concert; we heard that another weekend they had a Downton Abbey Dinner, with guests dressing in Victorian-wear and a menu of food right from the popular TV series. It's touches like these that set the Brunswick Inn miles ahead of other B&B's at which we have stayed

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Unfortunately, this review is not about our stay because we arrived at the inn in the early evening after a 200+ mile drive only to learn that we had no reservation - and that there were no other vacancies in town. Although I booked the room on-line for my family of 4 two weeks before our arrival, the reservation had not been "officially" confirmed and we were out of luck. When I thought I had booked the room, the inn's availability calendar showed the room as available and I exchanged e-mails with the inn after booking so I had no reason to think there was a problem. As much as I'd like to take all the blame for this screw up, it would seem that the Brunswick Inn should consider letting prospective guests know - in a way other than the fine print - that an on-line booking did not result in a confirmed reservation. I did learn an important lesson though. Don't assume you have a reservation when booking on line and always double-check that you do when later when later communicating with hotel/motel/inn staff.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family