“My new favorite place!”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Brunswick, Maine
“My new favorite place!”
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

I know good food, good sushi and good service, and this has it all!
I have lived in Brunswick for three years and am mad at myself for not trying this earlier. The nigiri scallop melted in my mouth, perfect. It was so rich and fresh. The spider maki and miso soup excellent. Miso soup is miso soup right, wrong, this was different, somehow....REALLY good. The green tea ice cream and mango ice cream pastries are AMAZING!

The service was some of the best service I have had in....years. Truly. This is why I moved home, people care in Maine. They want their fellow Mainer's to be happy, right down to your servers.

I can't wait to go back. I am already planning a family birthday dinner.

If you have not been, go! If you have not been in a while, go back!
Thanks Little Tokyo, I had a great meal and a great time.Support local businesses, don't go into Portland for your next dinner, go here.

Visited January 2014

Las Vegas, Nevada
“Excellent sushi, outstanding service”
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

My extended family ate there last night - they reserved the "little room" for us and we squeezed 11 adults into it. We had four different families so four separate bills, and our waiter got everything exactly correct! They were friendly, efficient, and our food was delish. Whenever I'm in Brunswick, I make it a point to dine at Little Tokyo! And as an added bonus, it's right next to Gelato Fiasco!

Visited December 2013
Phippsburg, Maine
“Poorly timed, poorly prepared!”
Reviewed 25 December 2013

We've enjoyed eating at LT since it opened, but over the last few meals (maybe 6 months) have come away disappointed with both the food and the experience.

The service, while prompt and friendly, was very rushed. We hoped to have a relaxing drink/ appetizer and a game of cribbage before ordering dinner, but the waiter wound up delivering the soups and salad before we were even half finished with the appetizer, then brought our mains a minute later so that the table was overcrowded with too much food. We gave up our cards and conversation and dug in while the soup and tempura were still warm.

The miso used to be reliably flavorful with plenty of tofu and delicate nori. Yesterday's was flavorless and overloaded with tough, nearly uncooked nori and little tofu.

My boat meal arrived in a plastic boat. Plastic? The small thick sashimi slices were barely thawed, the centers were still very cold while the outside was just room temp. A nice variety but a few pieces were so sinewy they were obviously not sushi grade cuts. The sushi was nicely prepared but dry, as if they had been pre-made earlier, and the fish slices were much, much thinner than we were accustomed to.

I suspect everything may have been pre-made and just assembled on the plate when ordered, which would explain the poorly timed delivery, uneven temperature and dryness of the sushi.

My wife ordered two large maki and was happy with them except, of course for their too prompt arrival time.

Lastly, I've always enjoyed the classic sake-tinis here, but last night they were both strong on sake, light on gin and more than half full of thick chunks of too chewy ginger. Very disappointing.

There are only 2 sushi restaurants in Brunswick and now it looks like we'll have to continue on to Portland when next we want the good stuff.

• Visited December 2013
Brunswick, Maine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Better than Aki”
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have been here twice and it is very good for sushi in Brunswick. We had tried Aki and were dissapointed so this will now be our local sushi spot. Much better service, food and atmosphere.

Brunswick, ME
“Never Again”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Have been here several times. Little Tokyo was very popular right off the bat, but both the establishment and its food have gone down hill. This last visit will be my last. We went for an early dinner. Ordered 2 drinks. A few minutes later ordered our food. Food came out 10 minutes later. Still no drinks. Finished out meal, Beef Udon Noodles. Still no drinks. I watched the waitress chit chat with co-workers over in the corner. Tried to get someone's attention but with no success. Noticed that the bar tender finally put the drinks up for the waitress...after 30 min. I mean, how long does it take to open a bottled beer and mix a mai tai? The place wasn't even busy. So the drinks sit there for a while longer, waitress still oblivious that they are staring her in the face..as she giggles with her co-workers some more. Finally I am able to get the bar tender's attention and tell her that it's a bit too late. We expected to have our drinks before or during our meal, not after. She made no apology. She actually barely spoke a word. She didn't even mention it to the waitress until about 5 minutes later. Finally the waitress comes over and acts as if nothing had happened, mumbles something and then brings out 2 little dessert balls, like the size of quarters which were on the house. Apparently some type of ice cream. We tried one bite and they were not good. It was a nice gesture but too little too late. Go to Aki next door!!

• Visited October 2013