“STILL THE BEST LOBSTER ROLL IN THE STATE!”
Review of Libby's Market

Libby's Market
Ranked #3 of 111 Restaurants in Brunswick
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours
Description: Voted best lobster roll in the Midcoast! We have great slab pizza, sandwiches, beer & wine selection with friendly service. Everyone is welcome at Libby's!
Reviewed 30 June 2012

OK, here we go (LovingMaine please take note):

I (and my family) live the majority of the time in Maine - I work in Portland (hence my TA locale) but live in Brunswick (hence my ability and desire to have a breakfast sandwich here quite often) - but travel to Manhattan (NYC) and Mexico (Isla Mujeres) often (hence my reviews on TA as well as that of my family). I have "no services" to sell nor seek to garner any special favors or treatment by writing on TA; I merely "write it as I see it". Often.

LovingMaine is correct (in one regard) [re] Libby's Market: it is a mom and pop convenience store - owned and operated by the hardest working (and nicest) "mom and pop" I've ever known and it's not a very scenic location. (If you've read any of my earlier reviews you'll notice that I state that it's not scenic and there's little (if any) ambiance. (But what a cast of "characters"!!!) If you want scenic, by all means go to Two Lights in Cape Elizabeth, Reds Eat's in Wiscasset (which catered my wedding on Popham Beach 9 years ago), or even Holbrooks in Harpswell.

But if you want the best lobster roll in the state - while I can't say that I've eaten EVERY lobster roll in the state, I can certainly say in all honesty (the ONLY way I know how to be) I've been to countless places known for great lobster rolls - you come here.

NO, IT IS NOT FINE DINING (AND I'VE SAID AS MUCH IN THE PAST) and no it's no so spotless that you can eat off the floor (considering how busy the place is, that's totally understandable and acceptable in my estimation) nor would one want to.

"Mom and Pop" (Tina and Dan Libby), busy as they are - and all the people who work for them - go way out of their way to make sure that everyone is happy (and 99.9% of the people who come here are). They do only have 1 table inside but during the summer have 3 outdoor picnic tables so, yes, a ton of their business is take out. Again, I'm perfectly cool with that yet I still find the time, and place, to eat there from time to time.

LovingMaine says that they've lived in Brunswick for 8 years and has never had a local recommend coming here...well, I can do that one better: I've lived here almost 14 years and it was only 3 years ago someone told me about Libby's Market (never mind I never knew where Jordan Avenue was) but have been coming back ever since.

Fascination Station IS relatively new (now about a year and a half "new") BUT I HAVE BEEN a regular downstairs in their original location when it was just Slot Car Junction (many, many times). They've combined the two to make it one terrific place to visit. And I do, "regularly".

So by all means, GO to Libby's Market IF you want the best lobster roll in the state (at very reasonable prices considering the quality of the lobster; Dan is an lobsterman so you know the lobsters are not only freshly caught but freshly cooked. EVERY SINGLE DAY. YEAR-ROUND!!! Just don't go there expecting a water view or anything resembling "fine dining" (there's plenty of places in Portland especially for that; Emilitsa for nothing less than exquisite dining and decor; and floors you could eat off of) 'cause it's not.

IT'S THE BEST LOBSTER ROLL (AND AMAZING LOBSTER STEW WHEN THEY HAVE IT) IN THE STATE!

Reviewed 28 June 2012

Not the easiest place to find but excellent lobster rolls and great pizza.

Reviewed 23 June 2012

THE best lobster roll I have ever had and I have had plenty over the years. AND you can't beat the price and friendly folks! Do note that it is a market with take-out only although there are a couple of picnic tables outside

Reviewed 17 June 2012

This is a small convenience store, not a restaurant, but it serves the best lobster rolls you can imagine. If we were ranking it on food alone, it would be a "5". Pots of freshly-caught, cooked lobster are picked and prepared for you. The rolls are toasted just right. If you step to the left of the registers near the back door and keep the way clear, you can watch the whole operation. Served on three different lengths of bun, these were really good. The parking lot had everything from beat-up pickup trucks to late-model Lincolns stopping by -- everyone loves this place! There are picnic tables out front, nothing fancy, just "wicked good lobstah" served by some of the happiest and friendliest folks in town. If you're looking for a quieter or more scenic setting, get the lobster rolls to go and find a nice park or picnic area and dive in! Lobster is not cheap no matter where you get it, but in today's market, these prices are reasonable. Food this good is a Maine summer experience not to be missed! And this review is no fake -- this was our first visit based on a friend's recommendation, and we're glad we went!

Reviewed 2 June 2012

I was told by another trip adviser to check this place out when in Brunswick.He talked about great lobster and crab rolls. When I entered the market I thought to myself I must be in the wrong place. I looked around and saw everything a little corner market should have and more, but no hint of cooked food. A very pleasant lady came to the counter so I sheepishly asked, is there a pizza place near here. She said we make pizza, what do you want on it. My wife and I ordered separate medium pizza. We have different tastes. While it was being made, we found a menu at the counter. All kinds of grinders were listed and at the very end the words, "ask about lobster rolls and crab rolls". About that time we saw a tank of live lobsters in the corner. We walked out with two pizzas and a crab roll. The crab roll was very, very good and to my surprise the pizzas were fabulous. Not what I expected from a little corner market. The next day I finish my last slice for breakfast and it was just as good as it was when I bought it. The man I rented my cottage from is from Bath and knew nothing of this place. However, on my word he got a Lobster roll the next day. He said it was one of the best he had ever had. Trip advisers find great food in the strangest places.