“Excellent Asian Fusion Cuisine, Great Staff”
Review of Tao Yuan

Tao Yuan
Ranked #5 of 108 Restaurants in Brunswick
Price range: US$30 - US$50
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Portland, Maine
“Excellent Asian Fusion Cuisine, Great Staff”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Have eaten here twice and both times it was excellent. The flavors are fresh, simple yet complex and everything we tried was fantastic. We went with a group of six which was great for ordering a ton of different items and sharing. Our first time here was on a Wednesday and we had the special chef's tasting menu at a fabulous deal. Highly recommend this restaurant if you are in to small plate concept and a dining adventure. The staff is great - attentive service and they were great about making sure that we made it to our after dinner event on time without feeling rushed.

1 Thank Schusschef

Brunswick, Maine
“Great New Concept”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Love it, everything I've tried here I've never had before and I lived in Hawaii for 5 years. Excellent presentation, service and accommodations. menu constantly changing, If in Brunswick, Me. don't miss this place. Wed. special for couples can't be beat any resturant I've eaten in Maine

• Visited July 2013
Portland, Maine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Love this place”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Been to this place many times. Love it every time. They are very accommodating with my food restrictions. The servers are very nice, the food is excellent, and the atmosphere is inviting. The chef, before Tao, worked for Gordon Ramsey too so you know you're going to get quality.

1 Thank FattSab
Lewes, Delaware
“Exceeded expectations.”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

The food here is excellent and well presented. I really love the small plates concept because you can go with a group, share, and try a lot of different things.

Stand-outs were the tuna tartare (absolutely phenomenal), fried goat cheese with apple slices, the steak frites, local oysters with some sort of home-made sauce that was just delish, pork loin, any of the dim sums, the chicken with glass noodles and mushrooms and crunchy sweet potato crisps - OK, I guess I just about listed everything we ordered. The pork buns are good too. I would say great but I haven't found any restaurant that can top Pai Men Miyake's in Portland.

We were impressed with how the plates came out too. Perfectly timed. Our server was a little stand-offish but she became friendlier as the night wore on.

Like KChrnook, we went on date night. They would have let the three of us participate in the fixed price offering (as long as all three of us ordered it) so they must have changed their policy of not serving it to odd-numbered groups.

My husband asked for extra hot sauce and they charged us an extra $1 for that, explaining they make it in-house and the ingredients are expensive. Not sure what I think about that. The actual amount that came with the dish was very, very small - perhaps because of these expensive ingredients?

The décor is bright, simple and clean and I like the locally-done artwork they have chosen to decorate their walls a lot. We are looking forward to returning.

New England, USA
“May be the best non-gelato food in Brunswick”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

The location is right, just off Maine Street, and the atmosphere pleasantly complements the excellent food. Our server - courteous and informative - recommended three to four of the tapas-style dishes per person, and we found that three dishes each was plenty. The menu changes regularly, and has a distinct locally-sourced sense about it (locally picked mushrooms, for example), and is interesting and varied.

• Visited October 2013