“More authentic than usual”
Review of Bombay Mahal

Bombay Mahal
Ranked #10 of 112 Restaurants in Brunswick
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Having been married into a North Indian family for several years, I've had plenty of the real thing and plenty of the restaurant versions. The real thing has much less fat and cream than the typical restaurant versions. These guys are doing it much closer to the real way - and it's pretty good. The tandoori chicken was fall of the bone tender and flavour fully infused - very well done.

They had a Indian shiraz on the wine list, was a bit of a surprise to me, having never seen an import from India. I'm not going to attempt to review a specific wine, so go try it for yourself.

2  Thank jayaechpee

Reviewed 13 August 2012

Brunswick has more than it's fair share of terrific up-and-coming restaurants, but we often find ourselves going back to Bombay Mahal whenever we're in the area. The food is consistently good, with balanced spicing. I'm vegetarian, and have enjoyed several of the veggie dishes there. My favorite is the Shahi Korma, which is a blending of 8-9 different vegetables, along with paneer (a traditional Indian cheese with the consistency of tofu), in a warm, creamy sauce and with cashews and cilantro sprinkled on top. The breads, including the traditional Naan and paratha, are terrific. Service is very good---efficient and friendly without being overly attentive. The only thing I don't like about Bombay Mahal is that the music---Indian pop/rock, I guess you would call it---while fun and upbeat, is simply too loud. Other than that, the atmosphere is fine. The prices are slightly higher than some Indian restaurants that I've visited in the state, but only by $1-2 per meal.

1  Thank lovelifegirl
Reviewed 24 July 2012

We absolutely love this restaurant. As vegetarians, we are delighted with the veggie choices at Bombay Mahal. The Dal Soup is perfectly spiced, and all the veggie dishes are superb. I always get the Mango Lassi--thick and sweet, and for dessert, Indian Rice Pudding--a real treat. The service is excellent. Indian music plays softly in the background. We have a friend from Quebec, a former restautant owner, who visits us in Maine each summer. Bombay Mahal is his favorite restaurant in the Brunswick area, and always the first restaurant we go to each time he visits us.

1  Thank Joan M
Reviewed 20 July 2012

We generally get the special bread sampler and then struggle through our meals because we ate too much bread, it's just so good you can't stop! Great bread, awesome masala tea, spicy dishes, even the rice is flavorful and cooked well. Very yummy, my kind of comfort food, I'm embarrassed to say I ate myself into a state of discomfort last time we went. Saag! Keema Mutter! Plus they've got these darling little wallet sized menus which are super cute/handy.

1  Thank rache_pie
Reviewed 19 July 2012

It was a warm sunny Maine day and I happen to be in the Brunswick area. I wasn't in the mood for anything funny, (by funny I mean out of my norm), however this place caught my eye. It had been a while since I had Indian, so I checked out Bombay Mahal on Main Street. I was treated like a Indian queen by a lovely young lady, and ordered a feast for more then just one person. I give it a 5 stars because the use of ingredients was what came across in the taste and quality of the food. I had malai kofta, nav rattan korma, and 2 naan breads. I went around 3 pm and the place had about 5 tables so the food came out quick. I adore this space and it will be seeing my face more often. Best regards to Bombay Mahal:)

1  Thank Janessa H