“Superb Flavors and Spice”
Review of Bombay Mahal

Bombay Mahal
Ranked #7 of 108 Restaurants in Brunswick
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations, Takeout
Arlington, Virginia
“Superb Flavors and Spice”
Reviewed 21 November 2012

This is my third lunch at Bombay Mahal. I was actually on my way from Swans Island back to Washington, DC and I made it a point to stop in here for lunch...so that speaks for itself. My brother and I ordered about 5 vegetarian dishes as well as garlic nan. We were asked for our level of spice and since we bother lived in SE Asia and are experienced with hot and spicy food, we asked for the most spicy and man did we get it. I was very surprised that in semi-rural Maine I could get a really spicy hot Indian meal. Overall, it was absolutely delicious and very similar to many authentic Indian restaurants I have visited in Malaysia and Thailand. If you like spicy Indian food, this is a great place. I will be back on my next trip to Maine.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank MountainBiker19

Manchester, ME
“My favorite Indian restaurant around!”
Reviewed 8 September 2012

The best! Great lunch buffet, owners are super friendly, tasty food!
This is by far my favorite Indian restaurant in Maine.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank ribsmalone
Toronto
“More authentic than usual”
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Having been married into a North Indian family for several years, I've had plenty of the real thing and plenty of the restaurant versions. The real thing has much less fat and cream than the typical restaurant versions. These guys are doing it much closer to the real way - and it's pretty good. The tandoori chicken was fall of the bone tender and flavour fully infused - very well done.

They had a Indian shiraz on the wine list, was a bit of a surprise to me, having never seen an import from India. I'm not going to attempt to review a specific wine, so go try it for yourself.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank jayaechpee
Turner, Maine
“Very tasty Indian”
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Brunswick has more than it's fair share of terrific up-and-coming restaurants, but we often find ourselves going back to Bombay Mahal whenever we're in the area. The food is consistently good, with balanced spicing. I'm vegetarian, and have enjoyed several of the veggie dishes there. My favorite is the Shahi Korma, which is a blending of 8-9 different vegetables, along with paneer (a traditional Indian cheese with the consistency of tofu), in a warm, creamy sauce and with cashews and cilantro sprinkled on top. The breads, including the traditional Naan and paratha, are terrific. Service is very good---efficient and friendly without being overly attentive. The only thing I don't like about Bombay Mahal is that the music---Indian pop/rock, I guess you would call it---while fun and upbeat, is simply too loud. Other than that, the atmosphere is fine. The prices are slightly higher than some Indian restaurants that I've visited in the state, but only by $1-2 per meal.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank lovelifegirl
Harpswell, Maine
“Best Indian food in the area!”
Reviewed 24 July 2012

We absolutely love this restaurant. As vegetarians, we are delighted with the veggie choices at Bombay Mahal. The Dal Soup is perfectly spiced, and all the veggie dishes are superb. I always get the Mango Lassi--thick and sweet, and for dessert, Indian Rice Pudding--a real treat. The service is excellent. Indian music plays softly in the background. We have a friend from Quebec, a former restautant owner, who visits us in Maine each summer. Bombay Mahal is his favorite restaurant in the Brunswick area, and always the first restaurant we go to each time he visits us.

• Visited May 2012