“Great German Restaurant!”

Ranked #13 of 111 Restaurants in Brunswick
Price range: US$9 - US$27
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A true family run restaurant. Old world ambiance from the classic German favorites playing on the stereo overhead to the large collection of bier steins hanging on the walls. The professional wait staff work hard to ensure a 5 star experience. the incredible selection of imported wines and biers will refresh even the weariest traveler. You will sit down to our famous pretzels and rolls aside Richard's Own secret recipe mustard. The best of all the scrumptious flavors of authentic German recipes brought direct from Mannheim and traditional American classics. From Schnitzel, sausages and Sauerbraten to the finest steaks, seafood and soups, you will find something that appeals to you. OOOH! The desserts too. These will be the perfect finish to your meal, IF you left any room. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Reviewed 3 September 2010

We enjoyed another great meal at Richards in Brunswick. Great German wine and excellent entrees. And the prices were excellent. Richards never seems over-run with tourists - it seems to be more of a local place which is great when travelling. It is definitely a place to return to when in the Brunswick area!

Reviewed 6 August 2010

Whenever I travel, I look for local German restaurants. They are getting harder to find, and so finding a gem is a special treat. This one is a gem! It was a Thursday, the restaurant was busy but not crowded. It looks like a real German gasthouse inside, not a strip mall. We were seated right away, provided with a wonderful beer list and an authentic German menu (don't worry, there are American things for the kiddies). You can have a beer sampler of what is on tap, (very nice if you are driving), and during our visit, they had a Kolsch-Colonge beer on tap. What a wonderful surprise!

We all ordered shnitzel, Jager and Weiner. You can order "light" portions which are smaller, which we did. It is pounded thin (like it should be), and served with traditional German potatoe dishes, or you can get garlic-mashed. All very good, and authentic.

Our waitress was wonderful, well-versed in the menu and beers, and quick. I pointed her out to my daughter as what she should strive for in customer service.

Can you tell I liked this place? Don't skip it!

Reviewed 26 March 2010

I really like Richard's! I've been twice and bot times I have had a delicious meal, great service, it's a decent price...I just have to be in the mood for Greman food, and I know exactly where to go!

Reviewed 27 January 2010

We have liked Richards for many years , since the Harpswell days .
Recently we had out of town guests who were interested so we called for a reservation on a Saturday night . 8:30 was the earliest . We resigned ourselves & waited even though many in the party were tired & seniors .
Waited a very long time for service & then when the food came it seemed they were out of everything ? Maybe ? No explanation as to why portions were half that of regular size & those are skimpy at that all of the time . No apologies either . Less than a tablespoon of cabbage & noodles . That's the cheap stuff , come on !
Schnitzel that looked like about 2 oz. paper thin .
Probably will try again , but a bit concerned . I always thought Germans liked to eat & to feed people . I came HOME & HAD A SNACK .
This was several months ago & we haven't been back .
Too bad . Good food .
I believe the son has taken over recently .

1  Thank MainePerfectionist
Reviewed 26 November 2009

Found this gem after moving to Maine, and instantly fell in love with the place!! Great food, Great beer, and Great people!!!

A lovely dining experience, especially before attending an event at Bowdoin College, with the the best german food around. The "Taste of Germany" is simply the best and almost transports you to Germany without use of a plane.

If going to the theatre at Bowdoin, let em' know when you make a reservation to ensure you make your show, which is within easy walking distance from the restaurant.

Loved every meal I ever had here with my wife for the short while we lived in Maine!!!