“Awesome B&B”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bucksport
Williams Pond Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Bucksport B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Palm Bay, Florida
“Awesome B&B”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Williams Pond Lodge is a little out-of-the-way but well worth the trip. This off-the-grid bed and breakfast has all the amenities you could want - beautiful view, lovely rooms, excellent food, and an outstanding host. Don't miss kayaking or canoing and swimming on Williams Pond. A great getaway but near Acadia National Park.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great!
Green Features: Extremely environmentally focuses. Off the grid solar power. Best drinking water in Maine.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank yENNL

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Saco, Maine, United States
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My husband and I returned home from WPL yesterday. Our stay was delightful and delicious! Our host, David, welcomed us warmly and graciously. Our accommodations were comfortable and pleasantly relaxing. Our room was clean, cozy and had a beautiful view of the pond plus the most amazing shortbread cookies ever!. Our check in was quick as we headed right out to an amazing Tim McGraw concert in Bangor. Our trip back to the lodge was great knowing that we were not sharing a hotel with hundreds of others, but embracing the solitude of an Eco friendly, off the grid location. Breakfasts at WPL will satisfy the pickiest foodie! We had a delicious assortment of pastries, eggs, fresh fruit, homemade granola and bottomless coffee. Breakfast day two was even better with the lightest corn pancakes, real maple syrup and succulent bacon as well as the fresh fruit and David's amazing ginger jam. We relaxed, kayaked with the resident loon, read, napped, chatted and so on. We couldn't have had a better experience at WPL. Our host is now our friend and WPL is a destination we will surely enjoy again. I would highly recommend WPL to escape the stresses of everyday life. Go, relax, and return. We plan to!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Catherine B
New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Situated on the edge of a lake, this lodge in the woods is a 15-minute drive from Bucksport proper. The last 4 minutes are along a bumpy dirt or gravel road, which was a little disconcerting the first time, but we got used to it soon enough. The directions on the B&B's website are excellent. However, I would suggest going there in the light of day the first time. Maybe every time.

We were in the Tree Haven room, one half of a newly constructed cabin. The room had high ceilings, plenty of windows (unusual for Maine), and a skylight in the bathroom. The room is nicely decorated in the style of LL Bean Moderne. The place is immaculate.

We slept well on a very comfortable (double) bed, lulled to sleep by the (literally) babbling brook outside our window and serenaded by the occasion cry of a loon.

Breakfasts were excellent; homemade deserts in the evening; "bottomless " tins of excellent homemade shortbreads are provided in each room -- I think I may have taken unfair advantage of the host's hospitality on this point – and, at the end of our stay, we were sent on our way with a dozen shortbreads. This host thrives on the care and feeding of guests.

Some drawbacks:

The wifi is very weak and spotty. There is no cell phone service (although the host offers to let you use his phone). Since WPL promotes itself as "off the grid," I suppose they are off the hook on this one. Still, we were a little caught short by it.

There is no shampoo or conditioner. I do understand a green accommodation wanting to avoid scourging the earth with billions of little plastic bottles, but the owner could install shampoo and conditioner in the bulk dispensers that have become so common among green-conscious B&B owners in recent years. As it is, the average traveller will arrive here expecting these basic amenities and will then have to turn back around and drive the 15 minutes into town and 15 minutes back to purchase these items. A mostly lovely drive, by the way, but still.

The host is very, very sociable. If you are a reserved, private person, it might be a little much for you. Many Trip Advisor reviewers were obviously delighted to spend time talking, playing games and engaging in other activities with this extremely congenial host. But that might not be for everyone.

If you are seeking a convenient location, with privacy from the host and other guests and access to the electronic devices to which we have (mostly) all become accustomed, this place is not for you. But actually, this B&B is very good at what it truthfully promotes itself as: a comfortable accommodation in a serene setting, off the grid, along a road into the woods, delicious breakfasts and friendly host.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Travel_LadyNYC
Charlottetown, Canada
Reviewed 7 May 2014

What an amazing place, the location for relaxation and site seeing is ideal. My room was cozy, clean, and next to the sound of a babbling brook. The host, David, is considerate and accommodating, his culinary skills made my taste buds very happy. I have never considered an Eco friendly aspect to my travel but after my stay here it has become a consideration in future travel lodging. Highly recommend the Lodge, already planning my return less than a day after I left.

Room Tip: Ask for the red room by the babbling brook.
Green Features: This is a model for other innkeepers to learn from.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank CDN_BlokePEI
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 October 2013

It has been 2 months since our vacation to New England. I have raved about this wonderful lodge to everyone who asks about our trip which only reinforces my awareness that this stay was a highlight of our 3 week travels. We stayed 3 nights at WPL and we couldn't have been happier with our decision to visit the lodge. Not only can I "ditto" all the comments written by other guests but we had the honor of attending the wedding of two of the guests who were strangers to us when we arrived but felt like family when we left. The beautiful fall day by the pond was the perfect setting for the happy event and the champagne reception at the lodge, including David's shortbread cookies, and dinner at a local restaurant with the wedding party, were a truly meaningful and unforgettable experience. Other guests have told you about the wonderful food, the great discussions with the other guests over breakfast and evening dessert times, and most of all David's marvelous ability to make he guests feel like the most important people in his life. It's all true! You'll never regret a stay at William's Pond Lodge! Thank you David...

Room Tip: You couldn't go wrong with any of the three rooms.
Green Features: Environmental conservation does not diminish luxury at William's Pond Lodge.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Barbara M
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 9 October 2013

At last I was able to return to Williams Pond Lodge after a two year absence. I visited there in the fall of 2011 and fell in love with the location. A broken bone prevented re-visiting in 2012, but in 2013 I was able to make the pilgrimage back to this beautiful spot and the Host with the Most. Again, David made me feel totally comfortable, fed me delicious breakfasts and evening desserts, shared hiking suggestions, talked about many subjects, dropped puns and one-liners, and in general made me feel completely at home and welcomed. Lucky for me, I was also able to attend a concert at UMaine in which David played his bagpipes, and a few days later I was thrilled to see and hear him play at Hull's Cove and Bar Harbor.
As it was in 2011, my room on this visit was clean and comfortable, with a great view of the pond and woods. And, as in 2011, I took advantage of a kayak several mornings, plus ran into the chilly autumn water at least once each day. Invigorating!
A great host, great room, delicious food, and so convenient to many places of interest along the coast of Maine. I will be back!

Room Tip: Cobb Hill Room has a great panoramic view, but Bright Water Room is the closest to the pond.
Green Features: Very happy to stay in a solar-powered B&B. Never saw any lack of power while I was there. Enjoyed locally made jams and produce at the dining table.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Stephen P
Reviewed 1 October 2013

My husband and I just got back from 5 days/4 nights in Maine and thank God we booked all our time at Williams Pond Lodge! I seriously cannot rave enough about our accommodations or David, the owner.

We arrived in the evening after dark (and it is really dark in Maine at night) and David had left a key for us in a designated spot. We entered our sweet cabin and found our space to be cozy, comfortable and homey. I had pictured a "camp" kind of place, but it wasn't at all like that. The bed was like a pillow and was covered with a beautiful quilt. The floors are heated for chilly Maine nights. There is a small gas fireplace that gave us amazing ambiance and warmth. The bathroom has a great shower with good pressure and plenty of hot water. The entire place was spotless and I mean, not a thread out of place! David had left two tins on the the bed, one filled with pineapple-coconut cake with cream cheese frosting and another with his famous Scottish Shortbread. Both were so yummy and we were pretty excited about having them.

The first night, another couple had the room across the hall from us, but we didn't hear a peep out of them after we all shared a nightly dessert and coffee and retired to our rooms. The rooms are separated by a staircase, so you can't hear a thing. After that, we had the whole place to ourselves and it was fabulous!

Each morning, David provided a gourmet breakfast, along with our favorite French-pressed coffee in his dining room. We had eggs with smoked salmon, capers and sour cream one morning, blueberry pancakes with sausage another morning, popovers and an amazing omelet another morning and homemade gooey pecan sticky buns our last morning. Every breakfast starts with homemade granola, fresh fruit and yogurt, while he fixes breakfast. Then, each night David makes a homemade dessert, like pecan pie, chocolate brownies, etc.

David helps you decide on an itinerary that is doable and knows a lot of off-the-grid places to visit, hike, eat that you wouldn't normally find. He's a wealth of information and loads you up with directions, maps and brochures each day. He works outside of the lodge, so if you just want to chill at the lodge, you will probably have any privacy you may want and can take his kayaks out onto the pond (which is really a giant lake).

We not only enjoyed our time there, but we now consider David our friend and although we hope he's always got an opening when we want to return, I would be remiss not to advise anyone who is looking for true, cozy, comfortable and beautiful Maine, to stay at his Williams Pond Lodge!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the room at the top of the property for the best views from the room.
Green Features: I don't think anyone could put more care into the environment...David recycles, uses all solar power and provides crank flashlights (which I tease him about). He is VERY green!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank floridaflightgal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bucksport
Best Western White House Inn
Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge
Holiday Inn Bangor-Odlin Road
Comfort Inn Bangor
Comfort Inn Bangor
#3 of 26 in Bangor
Residence Inn by Marriott Bangor
Alamoosook Lakeside Inn

Been to Williams Pond Lodge? Share your experiences!