“Charming, comfortable,romantic inn.”

Camden Maine Stay Inn
Ranked #2 of 19 Camden B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 October 2010

We stayed here in the fall and it was lovely. We had a room towards the back of the Inn which was good because it is on Rt 1 which is busy and I could see if you wanted to leave the windows open it would be noisy. Our room was charming and very cozy but a bit on the small side, but nice size bathroom. The women who greeted us on Saturday wasn't very friendly or helpful, but she wasn't the owner, they are very sweet and charming. The breakfasts were very average and not as creative as some B & B's are. We loved Camden and would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 August 2010

When we arrived for our three night stay at the Camden Maine Stay Inn, it was a drizzly, overcast day. Going inside, we found the real "sunshine" of Camden in the gracious hosts Claudio and Roberta. They made us feel so welcome and took such good care of all the guests. Wonderful breakfasts in their beautiful sun room each morning gave us a chance to meet some of the other guests some of whom were from England and Italy. The Inn is beautifully appointed and immaculately groomed. The garden surrounding the inn is a beautiful space to walk and admire the hostas, ferns, and hydrangeas. Claudio and Roberta are so knowledgeable about the area, and they had wonderful suggestions regarding restaurants in Camden. We hated to leave after three days, and look forward to a return trip to the Maine Stay.

Reviewed 29 August 2010

This was our first visit to Camden, Maine. We went for three nights over the July 4th holiday, and had reserved the Carriage House Room back in early April. The Inn is located within walking distance of the downtown area and harbor. There are many shops and excellent restaurants located there.

The innkeepers, who are a lovely couple who have relocated from Italy, provided wonderful breakfasts. Each day had a different menu, emphasizing local fruit and ingredients. My only wish was that there had been a choice between two breakfasts - not just one choice per day. The room rate was very good value, especially considering the location and the good food.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2010

My wife and I celebrated our 10 yr wedding anny in Camden and we decided to stay 3 nights at the Maine Stay Inn. What a great choice!
The Common Ground Room was beautiful, nice balcony overlooking the garden which was very pretty and peaceful. Breakfast was excellent, Roberta and Debby made everything fresh each morning and I could not wait to get up! We booked the Schooner package and that was fantastic! The 2 hour trip was excellent and we received a picnic lunch that included a maine lobster roll to bring out on to the boat. Great time, I recommend to go at 12:30 pm, you can have lunch and have the best chance for sun, don't forget to bring a sweater and/or jacket, it can be cold. Camden was really nice, the harbor is absolutely gorgeous and don't forget to visit Camben Hills State Park, the views from the top are breathtaking! You can either hike or drive your car. Another great drive is down the peninsula from Rockport to Spruce Head and Owls Head and the Lighthouse. Anyway, just visit this area, you won't regret it!

Reviewed 14 August 2010

My wife and I booked the Maine Stay in May 2010 for a trip to the 2010 Lobster Festival the first week of August. Upon arrival in Camden on Wednesday, August 8, the temperature was in the mid-high 80's, and the house had no A/C which was in the high 70's to low 80's inside the house. Claudio, the Innkeeper and Proprietor, led us to our room, which was very small, and only had a small window unit to cool the room. We set the unit all the way down as cool as it would go, and it still did not cool the room, in spite of running all nite long. My wife woke up with her back hurting from the mattress. I reported our problems to Claudio, and told him we would be moving on to another Hotel since we had such an unpleasant nite. Claudio told me he would refund our money for the next nite that we were going to stay if he could rent the room to someone else. Well, he did rent the room, and then reneged on our deal to refund my money. So if you want to stay in a small 80 degree room, and wake up with a backache for $225.00, the Maine Stay is the place for you. You will even get lied to for free! This was the worse part of our trip, that was very pleasant until our encounter with The Maine Stay. STAY AWAY FROM THE MAINE STAY!!!

Edit Remove Send to a Friend Link to This Review

2  Thank Bartowboy
Maine_Stay_Inn, Owner at Camden Maine Stay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2010

I’m sorry to say that this review has nothing to do with the reality of the facts. This guest booked a two night stay with us. As we had very small availability he booked the first night in our smallest (and cheapest) room, while the second night he should have moved to a much better room, a suite. As per our policy, common to nearly all the Inns, we charged him 50% of the total amount due at the moment of the reservation. Please note that the room he’s complaining for has a rate of $155, and not $225. So, if there’s a liar, is somewhere else.
He was very happy when he came in and liked the room, but the morning after he explained that his wife had some problem with her back and that the air conditioning wasn’t working properly, so he wanted to leave. I explained to him that none of the many guests before them had ever complained about, highlighting that there may be many reasons for a back ache. I also checked the temperature in their room with a professional thermostat that we use to check all our systems and it showed 69 degrees, which seems more than enough to call a room cool.
Anyway, as they were supposed to move to the suite, I invited them to check the new room, which they refused. He explained me that he had to leave because, when you are in a couple, you have to listen to the other person. I told him that, as I saw no real reason for his behavior, I would have charged him the second night if I wouldn’t have been able to sell the room, as we have a cancellation policy of seven days. I asked him his new credit card data, as the data I had on file were expired, but he refused to give them to me, evidently trying to avoid the charge. I explained also that I might have used the data to credit the difference I could have owed him, if I would have sold the room. But he preferred not to do that.
In the end of the day at last I sold the room, for a rate much lower than the real one. We never do this, but this time we did it in order to help our unsatisfied guest to save some of his money. If I would have been able to sell the room for the regular rate I should have owed him around $60 (the difference between the deposit paid and the cost of the room he used). As I lost more than that amount, I thought and deeply think that it’s fair for us to keep that money. As a matter of fact I should have charged him for the difference.
Two days ago he called me to have news about. He didn’t want to understand why I had nothing to refund him and in the end, with not much politeness, he hung up the phone while I was still talking.
In the end I have to say that this is not a review, it’s a revenge, against something which is really hard to understand.

Claudio

Reviewed 13 August 2010

Anyone will be pleased and delighted to spend time at the Maine Stay Inn. The owners are super and do everything they can to make your stay enjoyable. The location is ideal, a short walk into town and a short drive from the state park with its wonderful hiking. Impeccably clean.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2010

The Maine Stay just may be one of the most pleasureable B&B stays we've experienced. Roberta was delightful, and the house and grounds are really lovely. Our room (Common Ground) was large, beautifully furnished, every attention to detail, and wonderfully comfortable. Breakfast was excellent! We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple