“Dropped the ball, BIG time”

Relais & Chateaux Camden Harbour Inn
Ranked #10 of 19 Camden B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I recently booked a room for friends coming from abroad. I used my credit card to guarantee the one night stay. When my friend's checked in, they were not allowed to change the booking to their credit card. If I have a platinum card, they have a black one! There should have been no problem.

I called the hotel later that evening and explained the above paragraph. I asked to have a credit to my card and allow them to use their card. I was refused.

I pointed out that they were happy enough to take my reservation over the phone, they should be happy to change the credit card over the phone to that of the people staying in the hotel and getting ready to have a $100+ meal for two.

They refused. I told them I would be happy to give them all my credit card information and they could process the refund. They refused.

I would have to appear in person, with my card, to allow them to bill the guests who were there -- in person with their card.

This is absolute rubbish for a hotel of this calibre. My friends and I will settle up, that is not the problem, the problem is that the hotel is acting appropriately for the cheapo place -- when they are outrageously expensive!

When I do business with a quality establishment, I expect two words from people at a quality establishment, "Yes" and "Ma'am." Clearly they did neither.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank TravelMavenHouston

Reviewed 5 August 2013

At the highest pricetag in Maine Camden Harbour Inn has to deliver and they do. From the moment we were welcomed at the car by Vlad(?) and what probably was the most fiendly and organized check-in we ever had (Tyler), we knew the experience was going to be special. The room was beautiful with all the luxury you expect, including a steamshower and lots of designer furniture pieces. Very European and understated. It is all about service at Camden Harbour Inn, they must have been trained to never say no as even our most complicated requests were addressed with a smile (and we did one ridiculous requests to see if they would blink---not such a thing). The location is amazing, the breakfast (included) is likely the best we ever had and everything is proffesionally organized without loosing the warmth and friendliness of a smaller inn. If the add a swimmingpool and large spa this inn likely is going to be our most favorite inn in the USA and beyond.

Room Tip: We had a corner room (curacao) and loved it
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We stayed for a weekend in the Macassar room and thoroughly enjoyed it. This room, though small, has a great view of the harbor. The room was very quiet - you couldn't hear anyone in the hall or the other rooms - which is great for a b&b. We enjoyed the Molton Brown products and loved the gourmet options in the minibar. The bed was very comfortable and we slept well here. The bathroom was a little small but it is a b&b so there's not much you can do about that. But everything in the room was very tasteful and modern. We typically don't like b&b's because they're too stuffy, the decor is pretty dated, and you can hear everything - none of which is an issue here.

The service here was very friendly and we got great suggestions for things to do from the front desk. The only thing we had any problems with was breakfast - on the first day it was wonderful and amazing and the second day it was not. The pancakes were just three silver dollar size pancakes and the yogurt was, literally, a tablespoon of yogurt with 5 or 6 berries. There was a lot of effort in the presentation of the food and some of it is great, but those dishes (esp the yogurt which is listed as an entree just like pancakes) were not up to par. Overall, I would definitely come here again.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

Just spent our third weekend during the last 12 months at the Camden Harbour Inn, and it was great again. Fantastic food at Nathalies' and superb friendly service in combination with incredibly comfortable rooms with great views.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms, but if you can of course ask for ocean / harbor view
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Great location. Beautiful views of the harbor from our room,"Bonaire". Spacious luxurious bathroom. Very clean rooms, tastefully decorated with huge comfortable bed, desk, chairs. Hotel staff was very attentive and polite. Hotel gardens were lovely. Comfortable outdoor porch for relaxing with a coffee, drink or newspaper.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

This is an excellent boutique hotel located in a quiet residential are just outside of downtown (if there is one in Camden). From the personal welcome at the front desk, to the friendly housejeeping staff (who had the room made up within 30 minutes, even while we were at breakfast), the staff made me feel at home. Each room was individually decorated. Breakfast in Natalie's was delicious and prompt. Turn-down service included chocolate truffles.

Only thing I would like housekeeping to address was the lack of a vacuum - the bits of paper, etc. on the carpet was there after housekeeping had finished. You should also be aware that the stairs are steep and narrow, meaning there is a not a lot of space for your foot. If you might have a problem with stairs, you should inquire about a downstairs room. There did not appear to be many of those.

Room Tip: If you have trouble with steep stairs, reserve a downstairs room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2013

The Inn looks pretty much like the photos on their website - so that is a plus. My husband and I arrived - parking lot right out front (actually on the side) with quite a few steps to climb (with luggage) to reception. You enter through a glass door. So we carried our bags up the stairs and were struggling a bit with the bags and trying to open the door and since it is glass we could see two employees sitting/standing behind the counter. Obviously if we can see them - they could see us - and they offered no help with the bags. Not a great start - hello employees - customer service!!!

However, they redeemed themselves by being very nice with the check-in process and did ask to help carry our bags up to our room (New Netherland) on the 2nd floor -which is a very steep climb.

The room looks just like the website - colors in blacks and grays - and good sized. Nice touches in the room - a fresh rose in a vase on the table, a refrigerator stocked with water (free) and a coffee maker. It has somewhat of a view to the harbor but also looks over the tar covered roof. The bathroom is on the small size (old but refurbished) but has Molton Brown products.

Let us not forget - this is an old Inn with new touches. There is the typical noise from the people above - and doors closing in the hallway.

Breakfast is included - and is quite delicious - lots of choices.

The Inn is well appointed and the living room has a lovely view (where they have snacks) - a great place to hang out. And best of all it is within walking distance of town.

We did dine at Natalie's and will write a separate review for that.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple