“Much needed R&R”

Ranked #11 of 19 Camden B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Much needed R&R”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

While I am an avid reader of reviews on this website, I typically never feel terribly compelled to write reviews unless my personal experience deviates drastically from the overall experience others have had. Nevertheless, I find myself almost obliged to write a very glowing review of our stay this past weekend as the experience was so spectacular, I find myself wanting to plan my next trip back.

As other reviewers have mentioned, the room is beautiful (Bonaire), outfitted with modern fixtures and amenities (I love the bathroom with the heated floors and the steam/rain shower), and the view in the morning is breathtaking. There were very minor issues, but nothing that would have taken away from our experience, and nothing that wasn't very expeditiously remedied by their excellent staff. The bed is so incredibly comfortable, and while my partner and I are very early risers (even on the weekend), we found ourselves sleeping in and almost missing breakfast.

Some may say that I am terribly critical with food (I am not, I like to think of myself as an enjoyer of good food), but Natalie's is very good by any city's standards. The restaurant being just downstairs from my room was also a huge plus as I found myself pretty overly satiated after the 5-course lobster tasting. My counterpart had the traditional 5-course tasting which I might have had several bites of, was also excellent. The personable staff also makes this a restaurant that I could see myself dining at again and again as they were simply a pleasure to be around. I didn't feel that the pace of the dinner was particularly slow (in fact I was amazed that it was over so quickly!). As for the price point, I felt that this was a very reasonable price for a 5-course tasting with this quantity and quality of food.

I don't know what this experience would have been like during the peak season, as we went during the off-season, and had a really restful and wonderful stay. But I'll be back, and I'll be sure to let you know.

Room Tip: Bonaire was wonderful. Corner room, top floor. Lovely view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Salem, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Friends in Camden highly recommended this inn, describing it as heaven on earth and the best hotel in Maine. They were so right. We usually stay at luxurious hotels like the Peninsula in NYC and at Four Season hotels all over the world, Camden Harbour Inn was as good if not better! Service is key here and they will do anything to accomodate you. Modern elegant rooms, designed around your needs. Steamshower, soaking tub and super comfortable beds. Delicious breakfast, among the best we ever had and best thing...it is included. Free wireless, newspaper and much more. The make you feel at home at this inn. This will be our new retreat!

Room Tip: Taiwan Suite had a nice fireplace, steamshower and soaking tub.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We didn't know we had book at a Relais and Chateaux hotel. So when we found out we were very pleased because we knew it would be excellent. And so it was, even more than excellent. The service was impeccable and very, very personal. Lots of little details to make you feel at home. The rooms was luxurious and beautifully designed. We loved our rain shower and soaking tub with a view over the harbor. Breakfast was included and probably the best breakfast we ever had. Lots of a la carte choices, a buffet and bubbles to start the day. When staying at a Relais and Chateaux hotel you have to dine at the hotel's restaurant, and so we did. French Laundry has competition. Amazing! We will be back!

Room Tip: We stayed in a corner room, Bonair..views are spectacular! Sleep with the curtains open!
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We visited two years ago, and knew that we'd have to come back. We weren't disappointed! We stayed in the Malabar Coast room again. It's one of the smaller rooms, but it's beautifully decorated and bed is divine!

All staff members were helpful and friendly, nothing seemed to be an effort or an inconvenience. Breakfasts were delicious, with plenty of choice. We took advantage of the sweet treat/coffee on offer, and complimentary glass of prosecco was a lovely touch. Oh, and the local chocolates left at the turn down service were very good as well!

We ate at the inn's restaurant, Natalie, on both nights. We had planned to eat in town on the second night, but the food was so good, we soon changed our mind. Saying that, there are several restaurants within walking distance.

We'll definitely visit again, this is a well-worth splurge!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Portland, Maine, United States
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We had a brief stay at the Camden Harbor Inn this week and I must say it is really a great place. Old World hospitality and charm. I was greeted by Oscar, one of the owners, upon arrival and was made to feel very special. All the employees there are courteous, friendly and helpful. The room and bathroom were immaculately clean and wonderfully comfortable. The feather bed was wonderful! Breakfast was terrific and the view is spectacular. If you are staying in The Camden area, I recommend you stay at the Camden Harbor Inn.

Room Tip: If you are handicapped ask for the first floor guest room because there is no elevator and the stair...
South Kent, Connecticut
Reviewed 24 October 2013

My wife, 9 year old son and I spent 4 nights October 10, 2013. We needed a good relaxing vacation. The Inn delivered an amazing experience. Natalies was an awesome dining experience (Chef is great) as was the wine steward Micha, and Fawn and Christina. Enjoyed the porch, music and rocking chairs after dinner. The whole staff was helpful and professional. Sailed on The Olad in Camden and Captain Jacks lobster boat tour in Rockland and went to Mt. Battie. We look froward to returning again. Can't go wrong here!

Room Tip: Try to get a Harbor view
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Camden Harbour Inn for a three night getaway in mid-October. What a beautiful inn with a breathtaking view from our room (Cape Colony). Our room was spacious, the bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom had a modern flair to it. We loved the porch outside with the rocking chairs, the quaint bar inside Natalie's Restaurant and the lovely area just next to the front desk where you can sit and relax. The location of the inn is great. We walked downtown where there are wonderful places to shop and dine. However, our best meal of the trip was at the inn's restaurant, Natalie's. I chose the lobster tasting menu and did the wine pairing. What a fantastic (and expensive) experience. The breakfast that is included in your stay is absolutely delicious...you must try the waffels. And last, but not least, the service and personal touches were as good, if not the best, I have ever experienced in the many places I have stayed. The staff could not have been nicer and I am convinced they will make you feel the same way if you choose to stay at their inn.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Camden
Grand Harbor Inn
Inn at Ocean's Edge
Inn at Ocean's Edge
#3 of 5 in Lincolnville
Camden Riverhouse Hotel and Inns

Been to Relais & Chateaux Camden Harbour Inn? Share your experiences!