“BEST OF THE BEST!”

Relais & Chateaux Camden Harbour Inn
Ranked #10 of 19 Camden B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 September 2010

We haven't even checked out yet, and I couldn't wait to hop online and write about the Camden Harbour Inn.

The attention to detail is unparalleled, and the comfort of the rooms and the quality of the service is impeccable. From the European style feather beds and comforters to the chocolates left for us at our "turn down service," our stay here was pure perfection.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Relais & Chateaux Camden Harbour Inn

Reviewed 10 September 2010

I just returned from the Camden Harbour Inn, ME as this B&B came highly recommended. At 400 + dollars per night my expectations were high. Upon my 5:30pm arrival the gentleman at the front desk gave off a less than welcome vibe, but it was soon made up by an eager, friendly and young bellman. I stress young as this B&B has approximately 12 outside steps to the check in desk and 27, I counted them, very small steps, (I wear a size 6 womens shoe and the steps were smaller than my foot, so caution is highly recommended at all times) up to my 3rd floor room. Thank heavens I didn't have to carry my luggage after a long flight. The room was well appointed for the most part. Bed was comfortable but I found black hairs in it and also in my tub, not good as I don't have black hair? The air conditioner which was necessary for the humidity during my stay was a floor unit on wheels with a large visible vent out the window, not a good look in my opinion. The bathroom had nice towels,robes and an assortment of shampoo, conditoner, bath gel, lotion and vanity kit, which were not replenished like most upscale properties at this price. The bathroom rug was not backed in rubber and I almost fell when I stepped on it as the floor was a slippery tile. There was a shower curtain with the curved bar which is helpful if glass doors are not available and like most B&B's the bathroom had the old sink which looks quaint but of course no counter space, so I had to rearrange all of my toiletries on the 2 shelves over the toilet, another inconvenience. Getting ready to go out for the evening was a true balancing act, with my hair dryer & curlinng iron balanced on the tub rim and trying to apply makeup with my products spread out on top of the closed toilet lid. There was no room service but the complimentary breakfast btwn the hours of 7:30 am - 9:am was very tasty. Their was a 2 cup coffe maker in the room and turn down service. The atmosphere was very sedate, snooty and inconvenient considering all the undersized stairs, with no elevator. This is certainly not a place for people who have a personality, people with disabilities or children. The man at the desk remained grumpy during my 2.5 day stay and when I asked for water in my room after descending my 27 stairs, he replied it was in the basement, to which I replied I will wait for it. For the high price of this B&B I was very disappointed. When I checked out, there was no thank you for your business or even a goodbye from Mr, Grumpy. For the exuberant price and stifling atmosphere I wouldn't recommend staying here.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
10  Thank PatriciaTulsa_OK
CHIcamden, Owner at Relais & Chateaux Camden Harbour Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2010

We are truly sorry to hear that your experience was not exceeding your expectations. We always strive to provide the best guest services and a memorable stay.

We are happy you enjoyed our welcome service, including a meet and great at the car and the luggage being brought to your room. We are the only property in Camden providing this service, as we find it important that our guests have nothing to worry about when they arrive.

All our guests are sincerely welcomed and escorted to their rooms where they get an explanation of all the amenities and services we provide. All rooms are fully air-conditioned controlled. As we were experiencing one of the warmest and humid summers in the history, we thought, as a service to our guests, it would be nice to provide additional appliances to make sure the rooms remained dehumidified,cool and comfortable. We are sorry to hear that you did not appreciate the aesthetics.

Regarding the stairs, as you might have noticed Camden Harbour Inn is ADA accessible, has handicapped parking spaces and first floor ADA accessible guest-room. The inn was built in 1874 and we have tried to remain the characteristic elements including the gorgeous old staircase. However we do provide accommodation that does not require using stairs at all. We invite you to inform us about your needs next time when you stay with us

Your comment regarding our services makes us believe that you might have overlooked a couple of things

All rooms are fitted with a flat screen HDTV, DVD-player, CD player and Ipod/MP3 outlet, complimentary wireless internet, a selection of the latest magazines, fresh flowers, bathrobes, coffeemaker, iron and ironing board, lavender pillow to enhance sleeping, clock radio with relaxation sounds to enhance sleeping, separately climate controlled bathrooms with illuminated make up mirror, hair dryer, oversized fluffy towels and Molton Brown toiletries (including the lushes Xiao Joa Healthy Hair Wash, the Indian Cress Instant Conditioner, the Invigorating Suma & Ginseng bath gel, a relaxing Yuan Zhi Body Cream, milk and oatmeal soap and the sea-moss stress relieving hydro soak. Other amenities offered in the guest bathroom are ultra pure milk soap, a Fresh Mint Mouthwash, a shower cap and a luxurious travel accessories kit) and are replenished twice a day if needed. Camden Harbour Inn is also the only property in Maine providing her guests with a fully stocked mini-bar including soft drinks, wines, beers, water and a selection of snacks.

All guests enjoy a glass of welcome Champagne, a welcome gift in the room, Champagne breakfast including a small buffet, 10 a la carte choices and Champagne or Mimosa’s every morning between 7.30am and 9.30am. Other services we provide includes room service (menu’s are in the room) complimentary snacks, pastries, coffee and teas during the day, newspaper in your room every morning, turndown service in the evening with premium handmade Belgium Chocolates, bath slippers, chambermaid service and complimentary bottled water on the night stand and laundry service (not complimentary). We also have a large library with the latest movies for our guests to enjoy and complimentary valet service.

We always do our utmost to provide our guests with a friendly and professional service. Being awarded among the 50 best experiences in the world we work very hard to exceed the expectations. We are glad you enjoyed the overall experience, apologize for the inconvenience and will make sure to address the suggestions you made.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again

Raymond Brunyanszki
Owner

Reviewed 31 August 2010

Having organised a three week road trip around New Hampshire and Canada I was most looking forward to staying at the Camden Harbour Inn. I have to say that this lovely place didn't disappoint. My only regret was that I couldn't have stayed longer. The amount of detail they have put into everything is exceptional from the beautiful room to the personalised note and chocolate you receive at turndown. The location was stunning from the habour foreshore to the gorgoeus surounding old houses. Highly recommend this hotel & town to visit on a trip to Maine! Can't wait to return and stay a lot longer.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2010

My husband and I had only one night to stay in Camden, and decided to stay at the Camden Harbour Inn. From the moment we pulled into the parking lot, it was a great experience. They have thought of all the little details, from having our luggage taken to our room while we were checking in, to having bottled water waiting for each of us on our nightstands at bedtime.The bed was SOOO comfortable. Loved the location, a short walk downtown. Beautiful views of the harbor from our room. The made to order included breakfast was delicious. Highly recommend this hotel ! Would stay again.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2010

I recently booked a weekend getaway with the Camden Harbour Inn. Unfortunately, I had a death in my immediate family. I am appalled at the lack of compassion the Camden Harbour Inn staff displayed. We recieved no return of full or partial payment. They were unwilling to allow us a credit or reschedule of the weekend. I spoke only with the Inn's manager but also recieved no response when I sent an e-mail to the owners. Thank God the credit card company was able to work with me for compensation otherwise I would have been out $788.19

Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
7  Thank vacationersinME
CHIcamden, Owner at Relais & Chateaux Camden Harbour Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2010

As expressed in many phone conversations with you, we are truly sorry about the loss of your family member. As we explained in our conversations this reservation was not made directly at Camden Harbour Inn, but through an online travel agent.

We have spoken with the travel agent and they explained us that when you made the reservation, you were asked if you would like to add travel protection. For a small fee you were able to protect yourself for unforeseen circumstances including the tragic loss of a beloved one. Since the reservation was not made directly with us and you canceled hours before arrival there is little we can do.

I am glad that hear your credit card company reimbursed you. As I suggested in my email there is a possibility that your credit card account includes some kind of insurance protecting you against unforeseen circumstances.

As mentioned in our cancellation policies, when a last minute cancellation occurs we always try to resell the room. However guests remain responsible for the room if we are unable to sell and the deposit will be charged. When making a reservation through a travel agent different policies may apply.

Reviewed 15 August 2010

Camden Harbour Inn understands what luxury is all about. Greeted at the car by a friendly young man, luggage carried up to the room and a warm and efficient welcome by the innkeepers. Immediately you feel special and that feeling never leaves you. At Camden Harbour Inn they thought of everything. The rooms are out of a magazine with all the amenities you can imagine. The views are the best in Camden, overlooking the bay, harbor and mountains. So no wonder we ended up talking to some local people on the porch. They told us they came especially to the inn's restaurant to admire the sunset. Best beds, best breakfast, best personalized service, best everything ever. It was like a wonderful dream and like most wonderful dreams, you can't really explain it. You should stay at the inn to understand. We LOVED it, thank you Camden Harbour Inn.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2010

We spent a couple of nights here during the Maine Lobster Festival. Excellent hospitality, location, and accommodations. A quick walk to downtown Camden for good food, a little shopping, or hopping on a schooner. The room was perfect. I highly recommend the Curacao room. The balcony has the best view in the entire inn. The breakfast was perfect, and left plenty of room for lobster later in the day. We'll definitely return next time we are in the area.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Camden
Grand Harbor Inn
Whitehall
Whitehall
#7 of 10 in Camden
Samoset Resort On The Ocean

Been to Relais & Chateaux Camden Harbour Inn? Share your experiences!