“Not what it used to be.”
Review of Lord Camden Inn

Lord Camden Inn
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Camden
Portland, Maine
“Not what it used to be.”
Reviewed 21 December 2011

Having grown up in Camden, I can remember the day this Inn opened on Main Street. It was a great addition to the lodging choices in town and the location is simply the best. But the fine rehab of an old industrial building at the time, is now showing significant age with little or no repair being undertaken to keep the place up to standards. It has long been my choice to stay on my frequent business trips, but these days I am annoyed and disappointed in dirty carpets, chipping paint, filthy balconies and burned out lightbulbs.

Until they undertake a major renovation, there are much better choices in town these days.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Zonkermaine
InnsManager, General Manager at Lord Camden Inn, responded to this review, 10 January 2012
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review Lord Camden Inn. We genuinely appreciate all feedback and note all comments.
I am saddened to hear that your recent stay at Lord Camden Inn did not meet your expectations. We pride ourselves on the history of our building and being a premiere downtown destination. I am excited to share that necessary renovations are scheduled through the winter months and will include items you have mentioned. Thank you again for your insightful review; we value your repeat business and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Erick Anderson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Northville, Michigan
Reviewed 13 December 2011

The Inn is located on the river and on the main street of Camden...allows you to venture out into the town and onto the waterfront with great ease. Beautiful sea coast town. The town library is a must see, go in and check out all its levels...Enjoy this town and the chance to sail out onto the bay..

The Inn is a very comfortable place to stay. Love the breakfast room and morning chats with guests.

Room Tip: all rooms have views, the main street side allows a look at the ocean front
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
New York City
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Beautifully renovated with crisp linen, a deeply comfortable bed, and a well-designed system of built-in cupboards, the not-large room invited snuggling on a stormy fall weekend. I liked the marble counter with a variety of teas and coffees, corkscrew, and a choice of wine and highball glasses. The heater/air conditioner was so loud I couldn't have slept with it on. Being right on main street (with a peak of the harbor over the buildings across the street) might have been too noisy in summer, but was quiet and interesting in late October. The windowless breakfast room did not make me want to linger, but the food was fine. There's no lounge or bar area in the lobby, nor any sitting area outdoors (the rooms have terraces). You choose the Lord Camden for the comfort of the room.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I must say that this B&B has charm, large comfortable rooms, an amazing breakfast spread, and lovely furnishings throughout. The staff is friendly and helpful, and the location is very close to many attractions. In Maine that one may want to see...L.L. Bean in Freeport is close by, for example.

I stayed here after camping at Baxter State Park, as a way to rejuvenate myself after a week of tent camping, so I really appreciated the super comfortable beds and nicely appointed rooms. He highlight of my stay, though, was the amazing breakfast in the dining room on the 2nd floor, overlooking Main St. It is the Quintessential Maine B&B with everything I expected, and then some.

This B&B does charge a premium for rooms on the top floor with balcony views of Camden Harbor, and those rooms usually book quickly, so if that is important to you, it is best to book as early as possible. I will definitely stay here on my next holiday in Maine.

• Stayed July 2011
Denver
Reviewed 25 October 2011

We reserved a room for 2 nights at the end of September on the back side with a city view. However, the noise for the a/c condensor was so extremely loud with the sliding glass door closed, we knew we wouldn't be able to sleep with it cycling off and on. We were graciously given a choice of 2 other rooms. We selected room 206 with a beautiful brick wall. The room was on the street side and noise from the traffic never relented. We ran the a/c fan plus used our white noise machine and ear plugs. Sadly it's impossible to achieve quiet with trucks, motor cycles and cars lumbering through this quiet little town.

Although the gigantic room included a large bathroom and fireplace, the carpeting was so filthy that we felt sorry for our dog who slept on the floor. I'm not talking about a few spots but the entire room. We put on our shoes when we got out of bed to avoid touching the carpet. Frankly I have never seen carpeting in this condition let alone a hotel which charges over $200 per night. (On a positive note, we were thrilled that we could leave her alone in our room in the evening for a few hours to enjoy dinner by ourselves). I talked to Jeff, the manager, in the morning regarding the carpeting and he gave us a tour of other available rooms. He wanted us to be happy and was so nice so move us to a different room. The new room still had the same old beige heavy traffic pattern carpet, but it was more agreeable than the first room.

Jeff is very knowledgeable about ALL of the restaurants in town. Make sure you use him as a resource. He recommended Hartstone for the 6 PM seating--just delicious (we each had 2 courses, gazpacho as the first course and a stuffed lobster tail with crab, shrimp and haddock for the main) and one of very favorite meals. On our own we selected Atlantica which was ok and forgettable. We regretted than Long Grain was closed during our short stay in Camden.

The breakfast is adequate, free parking is only a block away. The bed linens were terrific with a very soft bed and beautiful traditional furniture.. Overall, I would love to give a higher rating. Everyone was so nice but sadly I cannot honestly give more than 3 *s.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the back side of hotel
Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GoldenJudy
InnsManager, General Manager at Lord Camden Inn, responded to this review, 26 October 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our lovely Inn. We take great pride in learning of our guest experience so that we can better ourselves for future stays.

I am greatly saddened to learn of this review. Your selection of room 206 comes to no surprise as it is a highly requested room due to its premier downtown location, room size and balcony. Although street side, our thick brick structure combined with our double walled sliding glass doors keep noises out when the desire of the downtown is unwanted. I apologize for the condition in which the carpeting was in your selected room. You will be happy to learn that amongst the great renovations we have scheduled for this upcoming winter, carpets are the first item on that agenda for full replacement. It was my pleasure to personally walk each room available with you the next morning to ensure your stay was comfortable, relaxing and to yours and your husband’s satisfaction and expectations.

I, Erick, am happy to learn of your appreciation regarding my recommendations and knowledge of the area and greatly appreciate your kind feedback.

Thank you for your kind words regarding our linens and furnishings as we are proud to provide our guests with high end and luxurious fittings.

Erick Anderson
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 October 2011

You can't beat the location. The staff is helpful. The building is old, but that is part of the charm. Breakfast is good (not great) but you are staying here because of the charm and location.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
New England
Reviewed 11 October 2011

I have travelled quite a bit and this is one of the most beautiful hotels I have ever stayed in. I went to the Lord Camden with a friend visiting from California, and she agreed with me. Exposed brick in the room, with built in armoire, nice bathroom with a sink outside (helpful when two women are staying there!) and some wonderfully smelling shampoo and body lotion. We enjoyed the lovely balcony as well. They also have a good breakfast buffet in a lovely dining room. I travel with my dog and this place is very dog friendly, offering a bowl, treats, and a dog bed. Lee Ann and Laura were staff people who were exceptionally nice, and the cleaning staff should be commended because the place was spotless. Since we were not familiar with Camden it took us a few trys to find the loading area. It is next to the Riverhouse ice cream stand. The parking lot is a short walk away, we didn't mind not parking right at the hotel. The reception area is gorgeous, and the view from the room was perfect. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in, in any hotel, ever!! The only issue, and it is so slight that I did not let it affect my five star rating, is that the gentleman at the desk on Sunday night did not give us a very good recommendation for dinner. We wanted a place with both seafood and vegetarian fare, and outside seating. He recommended Atlantica, but when we got there the menu was different from the one at the hotel and there was no veggie option. We left and as we were passing Cappy's we decided to eat there, which was fabulous (read my review under restaurants). So everything turned out good. I would highly recommend the Lord Camden Inn for location, those travelling with pets, and it's gorgeous decor and ambience.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 303 and it had a beautiful view.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank antastic
Also consider these accommodations in or near Camden
16 Bay View
Samoset Resort On The Ocean
Camden Maine Stay Inn
Camden Maine Stay Inn
#1 of 19 in Camden

Been to Lord Camden Inn? Share your experiences!