“SURELY A HIDDEN TREASURE”
Review of Fromviandoux - CLOSED

Fromviandoux
Price range: US$10 - US$35
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We just happen to walk by this intimate corner building and were curious about the lack of signage as to what it was. We walked in and were blown away. The atmosphere delightful and intimate. We immediately booked for dinner the next evening. Cozy, romantic, cushy seating and intimate. The wonderful place had all of the qualities we were seeking in a restaurant. The owners are a friendly and warm couple. He is the chef and she does the desserts and pastries. The attention to detail and service pleased us to no end. Before dinner we sat on the sofa and enjoyed out perfectly made martini. We then moved to our reserved table and enjoyed discussing the menu options. The menu is limited with fine offerings to please a more refined pallet. The wine list is sufficient and the owner, our hostess, for the evening help us select a lovely Pinot Grigio after a sample of wines that were offered for tasting in making our selection. This treasure is not to be missed when you are visiting the Camden area.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

My wife and I had an anniversary meal at Fromviandoux in Camden We went at the recommendation of our B&B hosts. We were not disappointed.

As the venue was a change in our original dining plans, we called up and asked if a table were available on short notice and were quickly booked. The restaurant is located just a few blocks up from the harbor, so it was a short stroll from our lodgings and we had no trouble locating it.

We ate on the early side on a Thursday evening in mid-October. We were not alone, but there were plenty of tables available. We were able to exchange pleasantries with the couple nearest to us without raising our voices, but the tables were not crowded together.

The staff was friendly and relaxed in greeting us and taking our orders. We had some pre-dinner bubbly by the glass, and took our time ordering. Fortunately, we didn't feel pressured to hurry at any point.

For appetizers we had a local cheese (Prix de Diane from Rockport - yummy) and some crisp apple slices and really terrific figs, with a few other dabblings on the plate. The starter came with brioche, which was diminutive but was fresh and surprisingly eggy.

We were given a unexpected chef's sample of an appetizer (whose description I didn't catch but consisted of a vegetable spread on a small, crunchy toasted slice) that was way too artsy in its presentation, but was utterly scrumptious so I immediately forgave its airs.

At the waitress' suggestion, I had the scallops, which she claimed would be cooked to perfection. She was right. She asked whether I wanted to larger or smaller portion, and I opted for the larger. This leads to my only minor gripe about the evening, which was that large portion ($14) consisted of two scallops. Delicious and well-prepared as they were, I couldn't help thinking bemusedly about how silly and lonely a single scallop would have looked on the plate had I ordered the smaller!

My wife had the veal sweetbreads, which she thought were good and obviously well prepared. I enjoyed my sampling of them.

The sauces and vegetable accompanying both entrees were quite good, complementing and not overpowering the main ingredients. The small portions made clear the food was intended to be savored. But I am glad we ordered a side dish (pomme de terre) so that by the end of the dessert we weren't left feeling hungry.

We tried a Bekaa Valley white wine (Viognier-Chardonney-Vermento) which I had never encountered before and found interesting on the palate. It had a long and fascinating finish, but how it got to the finish was a mystery since it didn't seem to find a place to start. It was served very chilled. We declined the ice bucket and found it became much more open and rounded on the front of the mouth as it warmed through the meal.

For desert we had espresso with some vanilla ice cream, very pleasant.

All in all, it was a good meal and although pricey in terms of the portions, not overpriced for the quality of the dishes or the care in their preparation.

My only note of caution is that others might find the diminutive portions and fussiness of presentation a bit overdone. However, the likeability of the staff overcome that potential drawback.

It would be interesting to dine there again on a busy night in the high season, to see how the operation of the house handles the stress of a full restaurant.

We would recommend this to others interested in fine dining in Camden.

1  Thank nickdangerme
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Four of us dined here on 10/10 and were blown away by its ambiance, innovative menu selections and the first rate service. We had dined at Camden's most expensive and over the top restaurant the night before, and Fromviandedoux met every benchmark of the former. Appetizers and entrees were varied and delectable. I've never had better pommes frites in my life that complemented a juicy and tender hanger steak.

Owners Alyson Flemming and her husband Ryan have created a jewel in Camden, Maine. Unpretentious yet sophisticated, Fromviandedoux should be number one on your list of restaurants in Camden!

1  Thank 290JohnT290
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Took my wife to tea and she LOVED IT!!! I'm not much of a tea guy, but it was GREAT!! We had a VERY NICE time, and we WILL GO AGAIN next year!! EVERYTHING was VERY TASTY!!

Reviewed 9 October 2013

restaurant looks nice, service is slow. Took over 30 minutes to get a mediocre cocktail while we were seated at the bar. The bartender ignored us completely. The food was ok, not much flavor and very pedestrian. Drinks are super expensive, food is priced nicely. If you just want to have a quick bite (when service allows you) this restaurant is fine. If you are looking for something special skip this restaurant and go to Francine Bistro or Natalie's