“cute, funky, crowded, comfy place - with really good food”
Review of Cappy's Chowder House - CLOSED

Cappy's Chowder House
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I had been in Maine for several days and hadn't found great chowder. When we checked in I asked about chowder and of course the innkeeper pointed me here for lunch. He didn't steer me wrong. What a cute, funky, crowded, comfy place - with really good food. They have several local beers and even a local cider on tap - from a tap made from an outboard motor!

For lunch I had a special of lobster chowder with a lobster roll and my friend had a great salad with their house dressing (which they sell in their store). After looking at the menus for several other restaurants, we went back there for dinner. But this time we sat at the bar and ended up sitting next to the owner and his wife, who were super nice. Had the seafood stew which was a spicy tomato-base chock full of seafood. We were not in Camden for lunch the next day, but for dinner? Yep. Back to Cappy's to sit at the bar. This time tried their award winning clam chowder (which they also sell in their store) and it was mmm-mmm-good!

Turns out they have a bakery around the corner which sources their desserts, which of course we thought were great. So good we ordered a blueberry pie to take with us when we left.

When we were chatting with the owner he told us they had bought the building next door in 2012 and made it Cappy's restaurant that overlooks the harbor. It is connected to the bar side but we never went over there because we so liked the vibe of the bar side. I understand it's the same menu on both sides though.

The wait staff was nice, the vibe warm and funky, and the food good. Can't say enough good things about this place. Oh and for the "over 40" crowd, like me, they actually had a basket of reading glasses so you could read the menu cuz it's kinda dark in there. How's that for service?

1  Thank texanative

Reviewed 27 September 2013

As the reviews stated and friends said - EXCELLENT!!
Go there.....
Easy to find and great shopping near by. Check out the leather store.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

My husband loved the chowder I loved the view of the harbor. Staff was very good. It was very busy and that is why we chose it.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

It's been several years since I've been here, so long I couldn't remember how the food was. There was 4 of us and we all had drinks, the waitress offered a sample of beer for one as they weren't sure they would like it (blueberry beer). We split the Onion Ring appetizer as it was award winning, being a Onion Ring snob I was skeptical, some of the best Onion Rings I've had in a long time! The Seafood Chowder was excellent, as was the beef stew and the house made potato chips were the talk of the table! Oh yeah, I can't forget the view of the bay from our table, it added to the lunch!

Reviewed 23 September 2013

A Camden institution named after Cappy Quinn, a retired Maine seacaptain. This is a very busy and friendly restaurant with a relaxed (and slightly cramped) feel. Lots of atmosphere and some nice scallops!