“Our favorite vacation spot for a number of years”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Camden
Swan House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #16 of 19 Camden B&B and Inns
Nashua, New Hampshire
“Our favorite vacation spot for a number of years”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2010

My wife and I just finished another very pleasant stay at Swan House. We have vacationed there for a number of years. Lyn and Ken have always been friendly and gracious hosts and now we feel like we are visiting old friends. The Inn is always clean, well-kept and comfortable. We love the location...at the foot of Mt. Battie, sheltered by fine old trees and on Mountain Street, which is not all that busy but puts you very near the heart of Camden. If you feel like walking, it's a 10 or 15 minute stroll to Main Street; if you don't, just roll down Mountain Street and park (all day for free) at the end of Mountain Street near Route1, where it's just a minute's walk to the shops and the public landing. And, pause to take in the view of the harbor across the public library's lawn as you turn from Mountain Street on to Route 1. We also love the fact that there are no TVs in the rooms. There's a TV in the parlor for weather, news, etc.; otherwise who needs it on vacation? There is free wi-fi. I use it rarely, but I have to carry a laptop for my work and the few times I've had to use it, it works fine. The breakfasts are a delight; the sunroom where breakfast is served at 8:30, is lovely. Lyn is a wonderful cook and baker and makes each breakfast special. And before breakfast is served, there's always coffee available early, which I really appreciate. To sum up, a great friendly place in a great location, to just come and relax and feel like you are visiting friends.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GaryVincent

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2010

We staid in the Black Swan room (145$) for one night in July 2010.

Loves: quality of the breakfast (Kashi cereals, bakery breads, homemade french toast and muffins)
Dislikes: car is needed to go downtown Camden (if not, you need to walk down a busy street on a hill for 15 minutes), very rustic looking room (uncomfortable seating but a good bed)

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Innkeepers-1993, Owner at Swan House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 10 August 2010
This is in response to the comments from TripAdvisor Member - DarBou in Montreal Canada who stayed with us for one (1) night in July 2010.

We appreciate their favorable comments concerning the quality of the breakfast - "Best breakfast of our trip in Maine!" and "good bed".

We are sorry they were disappointed with our "rustic" looking room even though it is accurately described as such (with photo) on our website - "Decorated with gingham checks, country quilts, natural wood, hand-stencilled walls, and a queen-size sleigh bed, the Black Swan Room is the epitome of rustic country charm!" We don't understand the term “weathered room" since it is an interior room with fresh wallpaper, paint, bed quilt, etc. At the time they booked the reservation, there were three (3) other rooms available that are not “rustic”, and the reservation was still booked online even though "rustic" was not to their liking.

Their comment - "car is needed to go downtown (if not, you need to walk down a busy street on a hill for 15 minutes)" - is a surprising one since the majority of our guests prefer to leave their car at the inn and walk the five (5) blocks to the center of the downtown which normally takes 10 to 15 minutes. The walk to town is safe since it is a residential street, there is a sidewalk with street curbing, and the amount of traffic is about 1/10th of what is on US Route 1 (a.k.a., Elm Street-Main-Street-High Street).

Also, there is a map on our website showing our location in relation to the downtown harbor area on Route 1, and the first sentence on our Availability Page under General Notes states - "The Swan House is physically located in the town of Camden and within walking distance (10 minutes or 5 blocks) to the center of town." Again, there was adequate and accurate information provided describing the distance to town, and the reservation was still booked online even though the "distance to town" in their estimation was too far to walk.

Lastly, It is our goal to ensure that all guests are completely satisfied during their stay with us. If at the time of check-in we would have been advised that the room was not to their liking and/or the distance to town was too far, we would have released these gentlemen from their reservation with no cancellation fees, and assisted them in locating a newer boutique type lodging establishment closer to town.
Maryville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2010

Even though this review will be considered "old," I feel, given the recent controversy concerning the owners, that I really need to weigh in on this discussion. We spent four days at the Swan House after a couple of weeks in Nova Scotia/New Brusnswick. I had broken my leg in Nova Scotia and when we called before our arrival at the Swan House, my husband asked Ken if he could suggest a place in Camden to obtain a wheel chair for me (while it may sound strange to you, we are "Maineiacs" and a broken leg will not keep us from enjoying the coast!). Not only did Ken find a place to provide a wheel chair, Ken went to that place and had it waiting for me when we arrived at the Swan House. He even called the people who had reserved the downstairs suite and asked them if they would swap with our upstairs suite. (they were so considerate to do so). If I were the owner of an inn, I don't think I would be crazy about the idea of someone who is wobbly on crutches hobbling all over my lovely bed and breakfast, but Ken could not have been any nicer. After staying in hundreds of bed and breakfasts all over North America, the UK and Europe, I did not find their check-in/check-out time nor their breakfast hours to be any different or restricting than any other popular, well run inn. In fact, Lyn was so accommodating that she even gave me a recipe that our family and friends have been raving about ever since our return. My husband and I had a fantastic time, especially at breakfast, as the sense of humor and wonderful food and surroundings were so pleasant. And with everything to see and do in Camden (even IN a wheelchair!), who needs television? In all my contributions, I have never written a review this "late," but when I was reviewing bed and breakfasts, I felt it is my obligation to comment.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2010

We have been visiting this charming bed and breakfast for many years, and just booked our stay for this July. We look forward to our annual trip to Camden, as well as our visits to the Swan House. Lynn and Ken, the innkeepers, are friendly and always gracious and helpful. The inn is decorated beautifully and kept neat as a pin, yet it isn't fussy or pretentious. Lynn's homemade cookies are a nice touch in the afternoon, and breakfasts are outstanding. My husband is the most picky man on the planet, and this B&B meets all of his expectations. Can hardly wait until July!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kal14
Andover, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2009

My wife and I stayed there for 3 days during a peak fall season. Nice looking house, rooms and all around decor. Our room was large and nicely decorated. Bad thing was the little bugs that were on the floor, walls and the ceiling. Slight creepy feeling when they were above the bed on the ceiling. I liked the sunroom where we ate breakfast, but since this was peak season and all rooms were full, there was not enough seating in the sunroom for everybody. Lyn's breakfast was very good but you had no choice of a menu in case you did not like the breakfast for that day.
Ken's personality was not nice and Lyn would be better off with her sweet self talking to all guests and leave Ken behind closed doors. The first evening we were there, I was in the tea room relaxing with tea and a snack. It was raining outside. There is a very small roof (overhang) just outside the door that isn't large enough for 2 people to stand out there and close your umbrella without geting rained on. Late arrival guests had been driving ALL day and just came through the door. The wife accidentally scrapped the door frame a little with the tips of her umbrella. Ken was just inside the door and said, "Geez, why don't you just scratch up my door frame." The woman appologized. The couple asked Ken about breakfast time. Ken said 8:30am. The guy asked if they could have breakfast in the morning a little later because they had been driving all day and wanted to sleep in the next morning. Ken stated "no". You can tell by Ken's face and by the tone of his voice that he was not a happy host. The next morning as we sat in the sunroom, this same guy came down early to see if he could get a breakfast plate for his wife who was tired. Ken stated that they did not serve breakfast in the rooms. Fortunately Lyn made a plate for him to take back to his wife.

Check in at 1:00 pm. 10:30 am checkout. Odd hours in comparison to most places.
No TV in rooms. No access to computer. Breakfast time was at 8:30 with no flexiblability. No local newspaper to read. Parking lot was tight.
Room rates slightly high for what you get over all during peak season.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Innkeepers-1993, Owner at Swan House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 6 April 2010
This is in response to Eagle 1-Ray's comments concerning his three (3) day stay at our inn on Columbus Day weekend. First of all his description of me being "the ex-prison warden" was unwarranted, mean spirited, and defamatory. At no point in time during our span of seventeen (17) years as innkeepers and welcoming 1,000's of couples into our home have we ever treated anyone like a prisoner.

It seems that Eagle 1- Ray's major complaint was my reaction and conversation I had with another couple (Mr. and Mrs. B) who arrived after check-in time and walked into the lobby with a fully extended metal tip umbrella scrapping the door frame and wallpaper. I don't believe my "Geez" comment to her as being overly harsh considering the fact that damage was done and common sense would tell most people that you have to close an umbrella prior to entering a home through a doorway.

The same couple that Eagle 1-Ray commented on did ask about the breakfast time since his wife wanted to sleep in the next morning. My answer was that breakfast with the hot entree is served from 8:30 a.m. until 9:00 a.m. and the buffet table is available until 9:30 a.m. There are plenty of choices (e.g., juice, coffee, tea, fruit, bread, muffins, coffee cake, cereal, granola) on the buffet for anyone that wants to sleep in late. The first morning Mr. B had his breakfast on the sun-porch with the other guests at 8:30 a.m. and prepared a full plate for his wife and took it to their room. Yes, I did comment that we do not serve breakfast in the rooms (for obvious reasons) and up until this incident this has never been a problem. Mr. and Mrs. B decided that they were also going to eat breakfast in their room the last two (2) days of their stay. He was even provided with a tray so he could carry the plates to their bedroom without breaking or spilling something.

In regards to Eagle 1- Ray's other comments directly related to his stay I offer the following:

1) Admittedly, the copious amounts of rain we had over the Summer and Fall caused a bug issue. They are a harmless bug called a "pill bug" or "soil bug" that normally live outside under rocks, logs, or any damp spot they can find, and we are located in a heavily wooded area. Unfortunately when it becomes too wet for them they seek refuge in a drier location and will crawl through any tiny crack they can find to enter the inside of a home. This problem has been addressed and corrected and we apologized for any inconvenience this seemed to have caused.

2) In reference to the comment "odd hours in comparison to most places" concerning our check-in and check-out times. Our Check-In time is: From 3:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m. Check-out time is: By 10:30 a.m. These are normal times used by the majority of innkeepers and exceptions are made when requested. These hours are also posted on our website and included in our reservation confirmations.

3) In reference to the comment -"No TV in rooms", most of our guests thank us for not having them in the rooms since it gives them an opportunity to escape from the everyday routine and catch up with some reading or conversation with their partner. It also provides for better sleeping since there is nothing more aggravating than hearing a television blaring in the next room. We have a television in our back parlor for anyone who wants to catch up with the news or who must see their favorite program while they are on vacation.

4) The comment-"No access to computer" is a surprise since most guests bring their own personal laptop, iPhone, Blackberry, etc. if they want to keep in touch while on vacation. We do provide free wireless broadband internet access and a telephone in every room for their use. Also, there is public library three (3) blocks away, that has public computers available.

5) Another comment-"No local newspaper to read" is another one that we have not heard before. With the availability of the internet it has been many years since we have personally purchased a newspaper. Not only is it not needed it is an environmental issue.

6) The "Breakfast time was 8:30 a.m. with no flexibility" comment has been addressed in the third paragraph of this response. And in reference to the "no choice of menu"- comment, it has always been our practice to provide an alternate selection if a guest does not care for the specially prepared main dish or has dietary restrictions. We always ask at the time of the reservation and/or at check-in if anyone has any dietary restrictions or allergies as far as breakfast food is concerned.

7) In reference to the comment-"Room rates slightly high for what you get over all during peak season", if you compare our room rates to others in town you will discover that they are moderate by comparison. Our peak season is from June 1st to November 1st and the Columbus Day (leaf peeper) weekend is one of our busiest.

Lastly, Lyn and I are formally requesting via this management response that Eagle 1-Ray (the originator of the review comments) and Trip Advisor (the medium that published them) to please retract or remove the defamatory "ex-prison warden" comment since it is unjustly damaging to both my personal character as an innkeeper and the reputation of our business.

Thank you.

Lyn and Ken Kohl
Owners/Innkeepers
Swan House Bed and Breakfast
Camden, Maine
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2008

My husband and I spent 3 nights at the Swan House. Lynn and Ken are great hosts! They are warm and welcoming. They offered advise in the area and breakfast is so great that you can skip lunch! Lynn always baked 2 items, in addition to a hot breakfast, fruit and cereal, which varied every day we were there. Don't miss the homemade maple granola very yummy! The inn is about 7-10 min walk to the center of town. We stayed in the Whistler room which faces the street and besides the seldom car, the room is very quite. It was great to come back after a long day and be received with cookies or brownies. If in Camden, stay at the Swan House, you will enjoy it!

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank EvelynBoston_MA
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2007

Swan House was very handy for Camden. The B&B was very clean as was our room. The breakfast was well presented and tasty.
We had a problem on arrival. We had travelled about 4 hours non stop by car, we arrived early, and my wife needed the toilet urgently. We asked Lynn, the owner, if we might use the toilet in our room and then check in later. She refused saying there was no toilet available and we should go down into Camden where there were toilets by the harbour! She could see my wife was desperate, but she was very unobliging.

• Liked — Room and breakfast
  • Disliked — Unhelpfull B&B owner
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple