“Delightful hotel, great location, exemplary service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Inn at Camden Place

The Inn at Camden Place
Ranked #15 of 19 Camden B&B and Inns
The Hills
“Delightful hotel, great location, exemplary service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2007

This is one of those rare hotels where, the moment you go through the door, you just know you’ve made the right choice. Despite arriving without a reservation, we were warmly greeted by the owner (I assume she was the owner; if she was an employee, she’s certainly worth every penny of her salary). She immediately introduced us to the bar area in the communal lounge, where we were able to help ourselves to a complementary supply of cold drinks. She also went out of her way to get some hot water so that I could fix myself a cup of tea. After a hot, tiring journey, this is the sort of welcome that a traveler really appreciates.

Our room was a bright, spacious, well-furnished double, with two comfortable armchairs, plenty of storage space, and a nice thick carpet. The bathroom was slightly on the small side, but not enough to be a problem. In addition, there was a communal seating area on our floor, which provided a nice comfortable spot for reading.

The inn is located in a former industrial quarter of Camden, now almost completely redeveloped. The adjacent office building used to be a factory, powered by a water wheel which is still visible. The mill stream still runs through the town and into the harbor. The whole neighborhood is charming, and surprisingly quiet, despite being only a few steps from the bustle of Camden’s downtown and waterfront areas.

An ample breakfast (which is included in the room rate) was provided by a nearby bagel café. We had no complaints about the breakfast, but I can imagine that anyone who doesn’t like bagels might not be so enthusiastic with the arrangement.

I have only one complaint about the Inn at Camden Place. Throughout most of the night, I was disturbed by a constant humming or buzzing noise. I never found out what it was – it sounded like a pump or loud fan; it wasn’t the air conditioning, as this was individually controlled within each room – but it sure kept me awake. To be fair, my wife, who’s a better sleeper than I am, didn’t hear a thing and slept solidly. I mentioned the problem to the management; they had no idea where the noise was coming from, but promised to investigate. I sure hope they can do something about it, because I’d really like to go back to this delightful and friendly inn.

• Stayed July 2007
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Camden
Lord Camden Inn
The Country Inn at Camden / Rockport
Blue Harbor House Inn
Blue Harbor House Inn
#3 of 19 in Camden

Been to The Inn at Camden Place? Share your experiences!