“Relaxing, pretty, and very clean.”

Inns at Blackberry Common
Ranked #7 of 19 Camden B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Gadsden, Alabama
“Relaxing, pretty, and very clean.”
Reviewed 19 October 2009

We really enjoyed our stay at this B&B. The inn was extremely clean and nicely decorated. We stayed in "The Victorian" room which was spacious and had a very comfortable bed. The owners were pleasant and offered helpful suggestions on activities and restaurants. The gourmet breakfast was very good. Camden had really fun shops downtown.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
portland maine
Reviewed 2 October 2009

My stay at the Blackberry Inn was just what I needed: A comfortable and cozy getaway with as much private and/or social space that I needed. The room I stayed in had a most luxurious bed...I could have layed there for days looking out the window at the gorgeous leaves firing up for autumn! Jim and Cindy were lovely and gracious hosts, the breakfast was clearly made with love, and the staff serving it were very attentive and jolly. The staff also made it very clear that dietary restrictions were not a problem at all, saying that they were more than happy to provide fare that coincided with my diet. Jim serves up tasty, creative, local dishes that are just mouth-watering!
Thank you for a most memorable stay..and I'll be sure to see you again!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
Brooksville, Maine
Reviewed 23 September 2009

Cindy and Jim are the innkeepers, hospitable and welcoming. We are not just a number in their book. We have stayed at the "Inns" several times, always in the original building...but in the newly renovated section in the back. It is a quiet and romantic setting for a well needed getaway. Camden's downtown is but a tiny drive down the road...walkable to some. A whole array of restaurants, shops, and galleries await. (I always find something in one to take home with me.) Jim and Cindy share experiences and make recommendations. While I drove to Camden, my husband sailed in on a friend's boat and we then went out together around Curtis Island Lighthouse...magical!...and back to Camden's harbor. However, there are many "boat tours" offered right from the town dock. A must do! This coastal town oozes with the nautical authenticity that exemplifies life on the coast of Maine.
Jim loves to cook and his breakfasts are always interesting and substantial. The coffee is excellent too if you're like I am in the morning. Our room had in-room coffee as well. Soaking tub, shower too. Great stay!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Wilmington, DE
Reviewed 22 September 2009

We were served a great three course breakfast that was the best in recent memory. Freshly baked apples and an omelet with fresh herbs from their garden. I will come back !

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
Ridgefield, Connecticut
Reviewed 21 September 2009

Our double room was very nice worth almost $300 - our single room was $170 and totally unacceptable. The inn itself is nothing special. A husband and wife own the inn-the husband is friendly but the wife really should not be in this business. The rest of the staff is very bland - not what we are use to at B & B's. Very few "homey" extras are included ( we are accustomed to B & B's having ice tea, coffee, etc all day long...and cookies etc. Here they have coffee and tea but only in the morning, they have a few cookies but only for a brief time in the afternoon. Most morning we had to wait for a table for breakfast. They breakfast is very average - they boast homemade berries and herbs but that is about the only items that are special. The pancakes were small and very dry. The next day we were given eggs - very "wet". The property is mostly a gravel parking lot.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank swa
texas
Reviewed 16 September 2009

Our stay at the Inns at Blackberry Common was without a doubt miserable. Our room in the Blackberry Inn was the Blackberry Bramble. It was on the second floor with two twin beds.
We are to stay for two nights.
Arriving shortly after check-in time, along with others, we were shuffled into the parlor and ignored for quite awhile. Sitting on the stained furniture was uncomfortable. No beverages or anything was offered after a long day of travel. Eventually an older gentleman approached us with conversation. Discovering that this person was an Inn employee, (He did not introduce himself), I had to ask for a glass of water. They apparently were out of bottled water while we were there. A large grocery store is across the street
Seeing our room was a disappointment. Very small, no place to put toiletries in water closet. There were no televisions in any of the rooms on this floor which I noticed when trying to find soap for our lavatory. One small generic bar was found in the bathtub room off the hall. This was our private bathroom. Not shared. We will survive.
Time to return to our B and B after a pleasant day and early evening in Camden. It was 9:30p.m. There are no goodies like cookies, coffee, hot chocolate--------only an honor refrigerator with soda in it and an opened bottle of white wine. A bottle of red wine was also opened. No coffee anywhere. Forget about ice. There are no people around. No music at any time, no congeniality.
Bringing a glass of wine downstairs from our room, expecting to enjoy it outside on the patio was a disappointment. There was no patio furniture and no lights.
There is a small 13 inch tv inside the public room. Perhaps we can get information on the most recent hurricane that may threaten our vacation. Forget that!! The television has a constant buzzing noise and cannot receive signals from many channels.
What’s left to do for these two night-owls? It’s just after 10 p.m. Bedtime?
Oh no, the window air conditioner is sucking in several mosquitoes and other bugs. A spider has made it’s nest with others in the corner of the ceiling above the head of one of the beds. While trying to kill the spider, it fell on top of a ledge built around the walls just a few feet from the ceiling. Removing it stirred up lots of dust which fell on top of the bed in the small room.
While looking for the second spider that had escaped, we removed a wall hanging to inspect. It was dusty and accumulating all over the backside was mold and mildew. After a few laughs about our ‘luck’, we did away with the ‘winter comforters’ --outside temp is 78 degrees.
Time to relax and get some sleep. Sure enough, what I felt earlier while sitting on this bed is indeed a mattress with broken springs right in the area where I had back surgery a few months ago. I laugh, trying to find a comfortable area. There is none.
My daughter discovers my dilemma and changes beds with me. Her mattress also is broken down in the same spot.
That’s it. I will not pay for accommodations like this. We will leave this place first thing in the morning.
When informing the proprietor of the problem with the beds, there was much discussion about the "one year old mattresses that no one has ever complained about." The tag on them had a 2001 date and a brand name which is unheard of. It really does not matter, they are both broken.
At this time, the proprietor agreed not to charge me for our stay.
Sure enough, when my credit card bill arrived, I was charged for the one night stay. After some argumentative conversation about the beds which Cindy claims have since been used without any complaints, I am told my account will be credited.
Footnote for innkeepers: I have found that most people do not like confrontation. This could be the reason for no complaints about this room and it’s beds. Do inspect them yourselves to make sure they are what they should be, "a comfortable bed ".
This ruined my adventure in Camdem and no doubt gave the folks at Blackberry Inn a bit of frustration.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
6 Thank seasons4
north Carolina
Reviewed 8 September 2009

The Inns at Balckberry Common in Camden, Maine were more than we expected. Understated elegance in a spot just far enough from downtown to provide the peace and quiet that we sought. Our room adjacent to the garden was roomy, extremely comfortable and had the most comfortable bed that we have ever slept in. I worked out at
a nearby YMCA that was great facility and then had a delicious breakfast of French toast with blackberries and a little Sage. We would love to return and we recommend it without hesitation. Go ahead and treat yourself.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple