“Enchanting, Beautiful & Romantic”

Hartstone Inn & Hideaway
Ranked #6 of 19 Camden B&B and Inns
Winterport, Maine
“Enchanting, Beautiful & Romantic”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

My husband and I have been to the Hartstone three times. It has become our favorite place to get away! The inn is beautifully decorated without feeling stiff or pretentious. It is cozy, romantic and just plain lovely.

The moment you enter your room, the sound of classical music immediately sets the mood for relaxation. Every room we have stayed in has been wonderful! We love how each room is decorated uniquely. It makes each stay a different experience. We always look forward to choosing which room we will try out next.

The bed and linens are incredibly comfortable and soft. We always sleep very,very well. I also enjoy the spa feel in each room with the various toiletries and Jacuzzi tub. As a mom of three, it is often hard to relax. But, there is just something about this setting that let's me relax the moment we arrive.

The staff are very warm and friendly. We have never really had any issues, but anything we have mentioned has been immediately addressed. We always feel that we are treated as "special" guests, even when we have come during the week or other times when rates are lower.

The cuisine is exceptional! I don't know if words could accurately portray the culinary experience. The meals we have had, have truly been some of the best of our lives. There have been a few times after my first bite that I have simply told my husband that I can't talk right now.....I am just savoring that bite so much. It's kind of become a joke with us. Honestly, each bite is an amalgamation of such glorious flavors that all you can do is just close your eyes and enjoy. We have loved every meal we have tried!

We also love being able to walk around town right from the inn. Camden is so quaint. It's so fun to visit the local shops and peruse the many items created by local artisans.

We are in love with the Hartstone! I am so thankful we found this little gem. I know we will be visiting for years to come!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Boston area
Reviewed 19 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Hartstone to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary and we highly recommend it to anyone. We kicked of the weekend with a couples massage and it was great. My wife wanted a more relaxing massage experience and I wanted a deep tissue and we received just what we wanted. We stayed in the Garden Suite which was comfortable and cozy. Meals were unbelievable. Breakfast each day and one full dinner was just amazing. Before dinner glass of wine with a nice 5-star snack and a great later-night cocktail offer was super. One of the things I really appreciated was the rates for things like a glass of wine or after dinner drink. They clearly could have taken advantage of the situation, but prices were at or below what you would pay at a restaurant or bar. Staff was top notch the whole weekend and went out of their way to make sure we were taken care of. Nothing else to say except that we will be back!

PS - There is no fitness center. I clicked the rating by accident and it wouldn't let me undo.

Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My husband and I return to the Hartstone Inn as often as possible. It is a beautifully appointed Inn with a professional staff who clearly loves what they do. From the moment we walk in we are greeted so warmly, which immediately reminds us of why we love returning time and time again. The food is outstanding. It is a must to have at least one dinner at the Inn. It is a magical experience because it is so beautifully presented, like a painting, in a very intimate setting. Meghan Small runs the inn when the owners are away. She runs it with such care and professionalism that you might think she owns the Inn. The Salmons are very lucky to have such a competent and lovely person fill their shoes while they are away. Bravo to the Inn! We can't wait to return yet again! Judi and Carlos Neu

Reviewed 5 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hartstone Inn for a weekend get-away this past weekend from Delaware. After a long drive, we were greeted with friendly service and able to check into our room early, which was very nice! The Inn is beautiful, and our room...just perfect! We ate at the restaurant and the food was delicious! We are very pleased with our experience and will be back for sure!

• Stayed November 2013
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 2 November 2013

The Hartstone Inn is my favorite place in Camden to stay,Mary Jo and Michael are amazing as well as all their staff. Even the housekeeper who I feel like I know quite well. Must be a great place to work because they keep their staff, I've known many for years now. As far as the few less than 5 star rating, well all I have to say is I was witness to 2 incredibly rude guests in September. I actually stayed close by while one gave one of the employees a very hard time. Her room was not what she wanted. B and B's usually have all different rooms and the staff here is very good at reading what you want, sometimes if you do not book your room ahead of time you may not get your first choice. But myself I have yet to stay in a room I don't like , and I have stayed in almost all of them. All the rooms are lovely and there is only one room that does not have an en suite bath yet it still has a private bath. This same weekend I witnessed another guest check in who didm''t like her room, I had issue with this because it was one of my favorite rooms. These two people were extremely rude. I talked to the second one and she was not going to like anything. Please do not take issue with the Hartstone Inn for theses two, I don't know if they are the ones that complained but I have been staying here for about years. It is one of my favorite places to stay, and I go there now about once a month if I can swing it. I have stayed in many of Camden's nicer places and this is my favorite, hands down. The attention to detail is Mary Jo's forte. This past week we met a lovely couple that have been going there much longer than I have and it is their favorite place too. It's because of the owners and staff, they are amazing. I don't mean to leave out reviewing the restaurant. Michael Salmon is the chef with 2 wonderful assistants, they produce amazing meals 5 course or a la carte. They are extraordinary, not to be missed!

Room Tip: I have stayed in almost every room outside the main house. They have rooms and suites for you to cho...
Danville, California
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We stayed in the Manor House Suite which was separate from the main building so it felt like we had our own little cottage. I never notice bedding, which is really a big deal these days, but these sheets were awesome. One could quickly tell that the owners care a great deal about every facet of the inn. Landscaping was thoughtful, the rooms are beautiful and no expense is spared to make it a very special place. I can't wait to come back. We ate dinner the first night and were so pleased with it. One thing that stood out was the wonderful staff, mostly young women, several were food service interns from the Philipines, and they were lovely. Everyone seemed happy to be there and their goodwill spilled over. So many extra features made this a delight: afternoon cookies; after dinner treats in the lounge; wonderful breakfast; artful decor.
We absolutely loved it! Also would mention that Camden is a perfect little town. Don't miss it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We only spent one night at Hartstone on our trip around New England, but it was a memorable and enjoyable stay. We were generously upgraded to a suite when we arrived, and the room was impecabbly clean and well appointed. It was a quiet and private room with an external entrance, and had a cosy living room area heated by a flame effect fire. The bathroom had a large jacuzzi bath and the bed was very comfortable. We appreciated the useful folder of information about the local area, and Camden was a lovely town and a great spot to do the short (but steep!) hike up to the top of Mt Battie with impressive views over the town and harbour. We opted for an evening meal in the Inn and I had the equisite 6 course tasting menu - highly recommended. The staff were very genuine, friendly and knowledgeable, and made us feel welcome and at ease throughout. The breakfast was also outstanding and we were sad to move on the next morning - wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Camden
Lord Camden Inn
Whitehall
Whitehall
#7 of 10 in Camden
Samoset Resort On The Ocean

Been to Hartstone Inn & Hideaway? Share your experiences!