“Exceeded Expectations”

Hartstone Inn & Hideaway
Ranked #3 of 19 Camden B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We picked this Inn as our off season get away as a result of an off season special emailed to my girlfriend through a website. After investigating the Hartstone Inn, we were quickly excited by the suites and the high marks for the food. We went there with already high expectations. This Inn exceeded expectations in every category. Professional and friendly customer service is very much alive and well at the Hartsone Inn. I don't know if I qualify as a foodie but our first meal there was so good we did not want to go anywhere else during our stay. In all we had four meals at the Hartstone and loved every bite. "Why would we want to go eat anywhere else?" she kept saying and she was right. We stayed in the Carriagehouse suite. We are a hard-working couple with limited time off and were looking to relax. Relax is exactly what we were able to do. Incredibly comfortable bed, sheets and pillows. Great fireplace. The large tub was great on the cold December evenings. After checkout we left feeling we got the better end of the deal. We then playfully argued all the way home about what dish we like the best, changing our selections on every turn.

Room Tip: Highly suggest a suite with it's own entrance from outside for that extra privacy feeling.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hartstone Inn & Hideaway

Reviewed 8 December 2013

We have stayed in several of Camden's great inns and dined in most of the restaurants in town, and none is a better combination of quality and value than the Hartstone Inn. We live close enough to commute, but love getting away to the Hartstone several times a year to enjoy the ambiance and great cuisine. We like Michael Salmon's cooking well enough to have chose a cooking weekend package, then gone to Tuscany for one of Michael's and Mary Jo's "foodie tours"—an experience I'd strongly recommend to any couple that wants to combine a week of dinner-time cooking lessons with days of touring local area farms, vintners, cheese makers, bee keepers and choice sightseeing in towns like Sienna, Pienza, Montepulciano, and Montalcino. (Those experiences are so memorable that, to satisfy requests from participants, the program has grown to include weeks in the Loire and in Spain, with many repeat participants in each option.)

At the Inn, the cuisine uses local produce in rich, flavorful dishes that are always perfectly prepared and pleasing to the palate. If you are visiting anywhere within range of Camden, I strongly recommend both the restaurant and the lodging at the Hartstone Inn. Like so many people, I'll bet you will become a frequent visitor.

Room Tip: All room at the Inn are shown online, with good descriptions. So, choose the one that fits your need...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2013

This was our third visit to the Hartstone Inn and once again, they exceeded our expectations. The Champagne suite was absolutely beautiful. The inn was decorated beautifully for the holidays and we were able to watch the parade and fireworks right from the inn's living room while enjoying our delicious martinis and hors d'oeuvres. The breakfasts and dinners once again were phenomenal. Mary Jo, Michael and all the staff (love Meghan and Deirdre) make you feel so special and welcome. We highly recommend this Inn to anyone looking for a 5 star experience. You will not regret it. Every time we have gone, it gets better and better. We already have our next weekend booked. Love and thanks to the Hartstone family for making our weekend so perfect and memorable. -Michelle and Robbie Smith

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 28 November 2013

The first time my wife and I visited be were offered a look around. We were offered the Arbor Suite and we've been hooked ever since. The location allows us to leave the car in the lot for the duration of our stay and just enjoy the town. The food is ridiculously good. The owners / staff are warm and genuinely interested in your experience without getting into your business. We still stay at the Hartstone about once a year and will continue to do so.

Room Tip: Go on the website. The pictures do a commendable job of representing your choices.
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The Hartstone Inn participates along with other B&Bs nationally to recognize Veterans and active duty Military by providing a complimentary stay on Veterans Day. My fiancee and I were delighted and booked our room with them immediately. Our stay was perfect! We stayed at the Hideaway, which is across the street from the main building, which was perfect as it is much more secluded. The room was very comfortable and my fiancee loved the fireplace in the room. We had made reservations for dinner at the Hartstone and went a little bit earlier and partook in their delicious cocktail hour. The dinner was absolutely the best haddock we have ever had. We savored every bite. Breakfast the following morning was equally amazing. The staff and owners were very gracious and friendly and we are very grateful for their graciousness to provide such a treat for Veterans.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

My husband and I have been to the Hartstone three times. It has become our favorite place to get away! The inn is beautifully decorated without feeling stiff or pretentious. It is cozy, romantic and just plain lovely.

The moment you enter your room, the sound of classical music immediately sets the mood for relaxation. Every room we have stayed in has been wonderful! We love how each room is decorated uniquely. It makes each stay a different experience. We always look forward to choosing which room we will try out next.

The bed and linens are incredibly comfortable and soft. We always sleep very,very well. I also enjoy the spa feel in each room with the various toiletries and Jacuzzi tub. As a mom of three, it is often hard to relax. But, there is just something about this setting that let's me relax the moment we arrive.

The staff are very warm and friendly. We have never really had any issues, but anything we have mentioned has been immediately addressed. We always feel that we are treated as "special" guests, even when we have come during the week or other times when rates are lower.

The cuisine is exceptional! I don't know if words could accurately portray the culinary experience. The meals we have had, have truly been some of the best of our lives. There have been a few times after my first bite that I have simply told my husband that I can't talk right now.....I am just savoring that bite so much. It's kind of become a joke with us. Honestly, each bite is an amalgamation of such glorious flavors that all you can do is just close your eyes and enjoy. We have loved every meal we have tried!

We also love being able to walk around town right from the inn. Camden is so quaint. It's so fun to visit the local shops and peruse the many items created by local artisans.

We are in love with the Hartstone! I am so thankful we found this little gem. I know we will be visiting for years to come!

Reviewed 19 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Hartstone to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary and we highly recommend it to anyone. We kicked of the weekend with a couples massage and it was great. My wife wanted a more relaxing massage experience and I wanted a deep tissue and we received just what we wanted. We stayed in the Garden Suite which was comfortable and cozy. Meals were unbelievable. Breakfast each day and one full dinner was just amazing. Before dinner glass of wine with a nice 5-star snack and a great later-night cocktail offer was super. One of the things I really appreciated was the rates for things like a glass of wine or after dinner drink. They clearly could have taken advantage of the situation, but prices were at or below what you would pay at a restaurant or bar. Staff was top notch the whole weekend and went out of their way to make sure we were taken care of. Nothing else to say except that we will be back!

PS - There is no fitness center. I clicked the rating by accident and it wouldn't let me undo.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Camden
Lord Camden Inn
Grand Harbor Inn
#1 of 10 in Camden
Samoset Resort On The Ocean
Relais & Chateaux Camden Harbour Inn

Been to Hartstone Inn & Hideaway? Share your experiences!