“Overall great, just some rough edges”

Hartstone Inn & Hideaway
Ranked #4 of 19 Camden B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 July 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Hartstone and were generally impressed and thrilled with the whole experience. The rooms are beautiful and the decor wonderful and very tasteful. The area is equally charming.

Based on some of the mixed reviews we read about the food and dining experience of when Michael and MaryJo are not there, we were thrilled that they were there! The food was wonderful and really tastey. I will say that for all the polish and finese that Michael and MaryJo bring to the Inn, I was a little disappointed with refinement of some of the rest of the staff. There was a server in the dining room (not sure of the name; Holly perhaps) who certainly tried, but I think lacked training. My husband has a dietary restriction, and although Michael was more than happy to accomodate it, Holly announced it in a fairly loud voice when she came to the table to being out meal. Dietary preferences and restrictions are personal and sometimes embarrasinng, and it is not nice to have it broadcast tot he dining room.

I really hope that Michael and MaryJo spend a little more time on the details, because overall, it is one of the best Inns we have ever stayed in.

4  Thank da1239876
Write a ReviewReviews (1,114)

Reviewed 25 June 2007

My husband and I just returned from spending three nights at the Hartstone Inn and I can't wait to go back! This was a special trip, to celebrate our ten year anniversary, that we had been planning for a year. Never having been to Maine, we relied greatly on Trip Advisor
for ideas about where to stay and eat - Thank you! We stayed in the Cottage Suite, which is perfectly situated on the back of the main inn and beautifully decorated! I don't think there is a bad room or suite at the Hartstone, but we liked the Cottage suite very much. The breakfast here is to die for! Every detail is attended to and you almost feel as though you are a guest in a friend's home. Our first morning at breakfast we were talking about sailing on the Surprise (a schooner). No sooner had I mentioned it then Mary Jo quickly offered to make arrangements for us to sail that morning.
It's these small amenities that make a place like this truly delightful. By the way, you have to take a trip on the Surprise while in Camden - it is a beautiful way to see Camden from the water and Jack and Barbara are genuinely kind and joyful people. We ate dinner at the inn one evening and I was sorry I hadn't made reservations for another evening during our stay. It was the best meal we have ever had. Upon arriving for dinner I said to my husband that I felt as though we were attending a dinner party - it was that special and intimate. It is truly a dining experience! Next time, I would most definitely arrange to take one of Michael's cooking classes! We also loved the Camden Deli (be sure to head upstairs during happy hour for a drink and the most amazing view of the harbor), and Cappy's or the Waterfront for great food and a really fun atmosphere. For Lobster we headed 10 minutes north to Linconville, on the advice of some locals. There are 2 great, casual lobster places right by the beach. We ate at the smaller one (on the right - I'm sorry I can't remember the name), but I heard both are great. Last, but not least, I have to say that Michael and Mary Jo are providing their guests with a beautiful example of the great art of hospitality. If you are wondering if hospitality still exists, it does at the Hartstone Inn! I hope you have a chance to experience it for yourself.

5  Thank NewYork37
Reviewed 17 June 2007

This was the most amazing B&B ever! Mary Jo gave us a
personalized tour of the property when we arrived and
was very open to any special requests (food or room).
We stayed in the Garden Suite which aptly was
surrounded on the outside by beautiful flowers with a
heavenly aroma. The suite had equisite art, luxurious
linens, two skylights with remotes, complimentary
truffles, botanical spa products, air conditioning,
separate living area, free wifi access, dual alarm
clock, nature sound machine, oversized shower with
adjustable water pressure, and fine bath robes. Then
there was breakfast. I am a picky eater and was
concerned that I would not like what was being served that day.
However, breakfast was a two course, heavenly affair
with plenty of selections to choose from. Fresh fruit
and bread, blueberry waffles, and bacon the first day and asparagus quiche, flan with berry sauce, etc. the second day. Any special requests that we made at meals were remembered without promting at the next meal. At breakfast we
were discussing whether to take a windjamming cruise
and Mary Jo told us about the various options. She
highlighted her favorite and then offered to call to
make the reservation for us. In the common area,
there was a shared library, sitting room, and a
wonderful nook with brochures of things to do in the
area and restaurant menus. The location of the Hartstone is perfect because it is in walking distance of everything. When we were leaving for Bar Harbor, Mary Jo printed up a special driving tour listing some of their favorite places between Camden
and Bar Harbor. Needless to say, we felt absolutely
pampered at the Hartstone and did not want to leave.

7  Thank sarahoom
Reviewed 10 June 2007

Just got home from a great two day stay at the Hartstone Inn. This is truly an amazing getaway thanks to the fantastic hospitility of Mary Jo and Michael. The room is spectacular and no detail is overlooked. I love the sound machine, the romantic CDs, the chocolates, bathroom amenities, linens, and the beautiful decor. Beyond the room, the food is outstanding. The breakfast is amazing but outdone by the dinner. Never stay here without eating at least one dinner at the Inn...it must be experienced. Of course, the town of Camden offers lots of great shops, excursions, hiking, and great restaurants. Can’t wait until my next stay at the Hartstone!
Jan, North Monmouth, Maine
Want more information? Feel free to contact me at skolenda@aol.com

6  Thank Janet K
Reviewed 28 May 2007

We thoroughly enjoyed our 1 night stay at the Hartstone and can only say that we wish we had been able to stay at least another night. The check-in service was excellent - we were given a quick tour of the Inn's public areas, then taken directly to our beautiful suite located through the lovely garden. We were provided with all the particulars on how to operate our fireplace, windows, A/C,etc and invited to take advantage of the travel information provided by the Inn for local attractions and activities. We took a brief walking/shopping tour of this beautiful seaside town and then enjoyed a delicious dinner at the Inn that included a nice duck terrine, a refreshing mixed salad, a perfect Maine blueberry sorbet, a very tasty main course of encrusted salmon filet done perfectly and a nicely prepared creme brule. We had a wonderful night's rest in the most comfortable king bed and our breakfast of coffee, juice, fresh fruit, ricotta custard and Belgian waffles and bacon was served promptly and hot. We often stay at 4 and 5 star B&Bs and this is one of the best yet - very nicely decorated, extremely comfortable rooms and such delicious and interesting menus. All this and very attentive and friendly hosts - Bravo for Mary Jo and Michael! We will be back!

6  Thank Soleiltoujours
Reviewed 23 May 2007

We discovered the Hartstone nine years ago on our second trip to Camden and have been going back every May since then. This is my Mother's Day gift to my mother each year, and I truly can't imagine a better way to celebrate the occasion than with Mary Jo and Michael.
They treat us like family and go out of their way to make sure every aspect of our stay in Camden exceeds our expectations.

The attention to detail is phenomenal. When we first stayed at the Inn in 1999 Mary Jo noticed that Mum didn't eat the nuts on her salad
at dinner, and that I avoided the bacon at breakfast. She commented on both and we explained that Mum can't eat nuts and that I'm a vegetarian. That was the last we ever mentioned it, but every meal we've had there since (and there've been plenty) has been specially prepared to make sure Mum's is nut-free and mine is veg-friendly. We
never had to ask; they just did it. Amazing!

I could go on and on about the rooms (they're incredible, with beds that make you want to lounge around all day) and the food (don't plan
on eating anywhere else while you're in Camden because it all pales in comparison), but what really makes the Harstone Inn so special is the level of service and committment to excellence of everyone there.
That's what keeps us coming back year after year!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with friends
6  Thank sambackus
Reviewed 14 May 2007

This was our fourth stay with Mary Jo and Michael at the Hartstone Inn. We have never been disappointed. The food is wonderful and the service is great. Make sure you have dinner at the Inn one night. The
breakfast offerings are unique and delicious.

Our favorite room so far is The Tea Cup room. Very spacious and quiet. You will not go wrong at the Hartstone. We look forward to many more fantastic visits.

7  Thank kpdiva