“Greedy, loud and not welcoming”
Review of Hawthorn Inn

Hawthorn Inn
Ranked #3 of 19 Camden B&B and Inns
münchen
“Greedy, loud and not welcoming”
Reviewed 8 October 2011

We called in advance to get a reservation - first thing the owner asked for was my credit card number to be sure to be able to get money from me (never happened when calling other B&B in advance). When we arrived we saw that the Inn is directly located at the through main road - with the consequence that the rooms viewing the street are very noisy. The bathrooms are tiny! The breakfast was a joke (kiwi + banana = fruit salad) and scrambled eggs - that's it! No bread and so on! NO VIEW to the sea (but stated differently in a advertisement brochure!). Bottom line: Do not go!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Travelrate

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Hebrew first
WEIRTON
Reviewed 23 September 2011

The Hawthorn Inn and the village of Camden were absolutely charming! The Inn was immaculately clean, the staff efficient and the location perfect. It was only a very short walk out the back lawn to the main part of town so we never had to use our car once we arrived! The breakfasts each morning were fabulous. The Innkeeper is an amazing cook and we enjoyed her fresh and delightful creations each day. The presentation was beautiful, delicious and filling! She also put out snacks each afternoon! If In Camden, this is the place to stay!

Room Tip: The rooms were all lovely and except for the Rose Room were spacious.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Being a Maine "summer person" I am very familiar with Camden, but never actually spent time in a hotel there as we had our own cabin. For my honeymoon I couldn't think of anywhere I'd rather go, so my husband and I decided to go fancy and stay at a B & B or hotel. We arrived very late on a Sunday night and the owners were nice enough to make sure there was a key waiting for us to get in. The breakfasts were incredible and it was nice to sit around and talk to the other guests. We stayed in the Turret room, which was beautiful and looks just like the pictures on the website. The bed was comfortable and they had even ingeniously been able to fit a small bathroom in a former closet. Though the weather didn't always cooperate, we had a lovely stay and are planning on spending our anniversary there.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Vermont
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We called the Hawthorn Inn last minute and luckily there was 1 room available mid-week. We enjoyed both the Innkeeper Maryanne's hospitality and the Inn's fantastic location just off the busy main street. She even invited us to her husband's art exhibit opening on their lawn that evening.
Warm, welcoming and an unmatched wonderful full breakfast served in elegant style in this Victorian classic home.
We'll be back!
Deborah R. Rhinebeck, NY

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Beijing, China
Reviewed 28 August 2011

We found this wonderful place by accident. We had not booked accommodation and rang another b and b that recommended the Hawthorne. We were so lucky to find a fair priced and well appointed room. The room was large, light, airy and opened onto the beautiful garden. The room had a large spa for two. We were both captured by the simple elegance which showed thought and care for the guest. We had breakfast on both days of our stay with other guest which was entertaining. The breakfast provided was the best we have had in any b and b. The real star of the show however was Maryanne our hostess. Maryanne went to great lengths to ensure every aspect of our stay was as pleasant as possible. The service she and bill provided us as their guest was exemplary and I would not hesitate to recommend the Hawthorne. ON our last day I left my watch and Maryanne went to great lengths to ensure that it was returned to me. Thank you again Maryanne.

1 Thank Amber L
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 24 August 2011

Wonderful, Friendly, Clean and Convenient are the first words that comes to mind when I think about our 2 night stay at Hawthorn Inn. Stay here if you have a chance, you will definitely not regret it!!

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
New York
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I initially learned of the Hawthorn Inn from a friend who had stayed there several years ago. She highly recommended the inn and Maryanne. I was planning on proposing to my girlfriend in the morning and then staying at the inn in the evening so my expectations were very high. Maryanne met and far exceeded my expectations. She is one of the best inn keepers I’ve ever met…caring, conscientious and thoughtful. She arranged dinner reservations (they took amazing care of us) and she arranged for a birthday cake at breakfast for my girlfriend (birthday and engagement the same weekend). Maryanne acts as a social leader, introducing people to one another and fostering a warm and relaxing atmosphere. It was a wonderful social experience and we felt extremely comfortable. The Inn is very well apportioned-- our room was lovely, elegant, and comfortable-- and walking distance to town. From our private deck you could glimpse the harbor through the trees. I plan on returning as often as my travels will take me to Camden, Maine.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple