“My Maine home away from home...but even better”
Review of Hawthorn Inn

Hawthorn Inn
Ranked #4 of 19 Camden B&B and Inns
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“My Maine home away from home...but even better”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

The Hawthorn Inn has become my Maine home away from home when I come to Maine to take the incredible weekend woodworking classes at Lie-Nielsen Toolworks in nearby Warren. Now, I can’t imagine staying anywhere but the Hawthorn inn. The lovely old house quietly tells its history, the rooms are lovingly appointed with guests’ comfort in mind, and the back garden is simply glorious. Innkeeper Maryanne Shanahan offers a warm and charming welcome, along with knowledgeable and spirited advice about the area. Do you want an extraordinary “French-New England fusion” meal? She knows just the enchanting restaurant. Do you need a lovely walk with which to end the day? She quickly produces a map and draws the route of the three-mile “Camden Loop” for you – and no walk could better feed the spirit and refresh the body. Do you have a special request? She will find a way to grant it. Maryanne and her husband Bill are sophisticated and engaging conversationalists, interested in everything…or just as subtly and considerately ready to recognize when you want peace and quiet.

Wait a moment: I said the Hawthorn Inn was my home away from home, but I have to take that back – the breakfasts at Hawthorn Inn are vastly beyond what I ever provide myself at home! Maryanne presents beautiful, fresh, seasonal, healthy, and utterly imaginative breakfasts that are like a still life in the beauty of their presentation, and taste even better than they look. Breakfast at the Hawthorn Inn is a restorative, sustaining pleasure to be savored every morning.

My first stay at the Hawthorn Inn convinced me I’d have to return. Now I can’t imagine being in Maine without staying there. May Maryanne and Bill go on welcoming all their grateful guests for many years to come!

Room Tip: The Inn does a very good job of describing the different rooms, so use those descriptions to decide...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
tor2, Owner at Hawthorn Inn, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
We are so pleased you dfound us when you took your first course!! And we look forward to your continued visits to Maine!! Thank you very much for your thoughtful and kind review!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Hebrew first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 August 2013

A fabulous stay at this inn. Breakfast was very elegant and delicious. Great location-easy walk to town and shortcut to harbor. We stayed in the Turret room. Very comfy bed. The grounds are very peaceful. Good country road biking opportunities nearby. The inn serves breakfast at 830 which was a bit late for us but the breakfasts were worth waiting for.

Room Tip: Bathroom is in converted closet and very small but totally functional. The shower had great water p...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
tor2, Owner at Hawthorn Inn, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
We appreciate your visit with us very much, and were pleased to see how much you enjoyed the area and all lit has to over. I hope you will return to enjoy al those things you had little enough time to do!! All the best, Maryanne
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2013

A beautiful elegant Inn in a wonderful location. Our Regency room was tastefully furnished and had a wonderfully large bathroom. Maryanne and Bill were wonderful hosts and nothing was a trouble to them. They suggested places to visit and made restaurant reservations for us. The Inn is their home and this was very apparent. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would not hesitate to stay again if we were in the area.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Heather H
tor2, Owner at Hawthorn Inn, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Thank you very much for your lovely review, and for your visit. It was great fun to meet you and have you with us, and I am happy you enjoyed the Regency room as well as you did!! Do hope you will be back across the pond another time soon, to repeat the visit and experience and expand your sightseeing!! All the best, Maryanne
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We have had the pleasure of travelling from England to stay at The Hawthorn a total of 9 times
(10 coming up) We now class the owners as treasured friends and have never met a kinder more thoughtful couple. Maryanne's breakfasts are sublime, served with flair, artistry and thoughtfulness. We have stayed in many of the rooms, all of which meet the highest standards, and simply ooze character. Nothing is ever a problem for Maryanne and Bill and everyone who visits is left with,the feeling that they are special. Visit The Hawthorn if you want a truly memorable holiday. I am so glad we discovered this wonderful place and amazing couple.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Anne F
tor2, Owner at Hawthorn Inn, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Every visit has been special for us as well, and we look forward to your next one this October. Have a safe journey, and thank you four your kind review!! Maryanne
Grapevine
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I was late arriving- flight was changed so spent 3 hours in Philly airport. Got my car at Bangor airport and headed to Camden when the rain started- it was dark, wet and I couldn't find the Inn! Maryann was so understanding.
I stayed in the Emma Knight room and it was perfect. It was actually a suite as they had opened up another room for a sitting area. It was neat, clean, well stocked with soap, toilet paper, towels, clean linens. I slept like a baby there! The staff was courteous and did an excellent job tidying up the room .
Gourmet breakfast was served inside as the rain just wouldn't quit. Fruit cups, juice and coffee followed by fresh blueberry pancakes one day, salmon breakfast quesadillas another and a souffle the 3rd morning. I never went away hungry!
I was 6months removed from radiation therapy for cancer so was still having some problems with side effects. Maryann told me if I experienced any problems after I checked out and before I left the area, I was more than welcome to come back. thank you Maryann!
I enjoyed my stay and would highly recommend The Hawthorn to anyone who asks!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Vicki C
tor2, Owner at Hawthorn Inn, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
We are very pleased you chose the Hawthorn Inn for your restorative visit and that we were able to make you comfortable, and that you had fun. Looking forward to your return, very soon!! Maryanne
Vermont
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Having said it all, nearly, with "perfection" I can only add that our hostess was welcoming and thoughtful, and the breakfasts served here are as good as they get: homemade pancakes with fresh Maine blueberries, fresh fruit with yogurt one morning, egg tacos and fruits another--all artfully presented, and served with panache. The room was comfortable and--on two hot days--mercifully cool and well vented. Plus, a lovely setting.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NORNORKEN
tor2, Owner at Hawthorn Inn, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
What a wonderful review!! Thank you very much for your positive comments; we loved your being here with us, and hope you will find your way back to us from VT son!! With warm best wishes, Maryanne
Newberry, Florida
Reviewed 4 August 2013

The Hawthorn Inn was an excellent find. The Inn is beautiful, the room was extremely comfortable and tastefully furnished. The innkeeper, Maryanne Shanahan was delightful and eager to offer suggestions to make our stay in Camden pleasant. Her breakfasts were creative and beautifully served. The location was perfect. I hope to return to Camden and would absolutely want to stay here again. I will also encourage my friends to do the same.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Regency.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sherry D
tor2, Owner at Hawthorn Inn, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
It was great to have you with us, and we appreciate your lovely review! We hope to see you sometime this fall; it is beautiful here in the fall, as we discussed. Take good care, and thank you!! Maryanne