“Charming inn; Charming town”
Review of Hawthorn Inn

Hawthorn Inn
Ranked #5 of 19 Camden B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My family stayed at the Hawthorn for a wedding in June, and the location was perfect. It sits just on the edge of the main downtown area of Camden, well within walking distance to the shops, restaurants, and harbor. The rooms are comfortable and uniquely decorated, as is the rest of the house - charming.

Room Tip: Breakfasts are rather formal, so please be sure to communicate with the hosts about what time you wi...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 10 August 2014

My husband and I just returned from several days at the Hawthorn Inn. We celebrated our mutual August birthdays and had a wonderful stay. The "Caroline" is a beautiful well appointed room on the first floor. This Victorian Inn is in excellent condition and décor will not disappoint. Breakfast consists of two courses, a gourmet seasonal fruit first course and then a second "breakfast" food, varying daily and yummy. The new owners are attentive, and there when you need them, but not intrusive. The location is perfect, you can walk anywhere from the Inn.
Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: We did choose to run a fan in the room, our room faced the front on a busy street so I suppose that...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My wife and I spend a night in the Hawthorn Inn in June 2014. The house is really nice. It is a truly old house with squeaking floors and nice, old furniture. The breakfast was special and very good. Some items felt a bit special (like the electric candle installation with 1 candle in each of the 5 windows and the respective cables laying on the floor) and did not look as thought through as I have seen it done in other high class B&B's. If this had been the full story I would have rated the Hawthorn Inn at 4 stars.
Unfortunately the location of the Inn is a real downside, at least if you have a room facing the front (and therefore the street). The Street is a major street with a lot of heavy traffic. I live in a city quite close to a busy intersection, so I thought I was used to traffic noise at night ... but this night showed my I was wrong. I hardly slept at all during that night, which was not good. Therefore if you plan to stay here, ask for a room facing the backyard.

Room Tip: Take a room facing the backyard!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Thorsten W
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This is a charming and well kept up house in walking distance of downtown Camden. It is everything you would want from a B&B. We stayed in the carriage house which had large rooms, lovely decks to a beautifully landscaped backyard and jacuzzi tub. Everything is immaculate and the innkeepers are brand new. They had only been there 5 weeks when we came but didn't miss a beat. They didn't know that much about the area but that will come in time. The breakfasts were superb. First day we had egg taco which was a baked flour tortilla( from a cup cake tin) with lovely eggs and salsa inside. Everyday is a fruit first dish which was always lovely. A lot of care was taken to the small details and it showed

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank RoBertie
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We happened to find this beautiful Inn on our trip down the coast of Maine. It's beautiful, close to downtown Camden and the service is fantastic. The owners are friendly and thoughtful. Breakfast was delicious and the room was beautifully decorated and very comfortable. The Inn is close to hiking trail to Mt Battie with stunning views of the harbor. Truly a beautiful spot!

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Hawthorne Inn a few days ago. It is very conveniently located near downtown, the rooms are nice, and the breakfasts (we had two) were innovative and delicious. If you stay here you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2014

New owners but you know what? They are great. Breakfast was healthy and beautiful and tasted wonderful. We had a great 2 nights there and could walk almost everywhere we wanted to go. The boat tours are a 7 minute walk. All the shopping is close . We stayed in the Brougham in the carriage house the first night and the bed was very comfy and it was quiet. The 2nd night we stayed in the Rose room in the main house and it was small but we were not in our room much, so we didn't care. I love the charm of the home and sitting on the front porch for coffee at 7am was the best part for me. I recommend Shepard's Pie Restaurant in Rockport for clam tacos. I recommend Francine Bistro for dinner when you tire of seafood which is maybe a 10 minute walk.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear are quieter
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple