“A Tight Ship”

Hawthorn Inn
Ranked #1 of 19 Camden B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 August 2007

We recently returned from a lovely time at the Hawthorn Inn. We
stayed for almost a week, and we appreciated the day-to-day
consistency of this charming inn. We were so pleased to find a well-run, comfortable inn with delicious food and a gracious host. Maryann ran a tight ship, and always had everything running smoothly. She was very helpful with suggestions for both restaurants and day trips. She provided some terrific personal touches (limeade and snacks around 5 p.m. each day, a guest refrigerator, games, books, etc). The only potential drawback is that there is only one breakfast seating--at 8:30 a.m.--which worked well for us, as we spent a lot of time exploring each day, but perhaps not as good for people who require a little more sleep. Camden doesn't have extensive nightlife, however, so it's easy enough to go to bed a little earlier..

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
12  Thank CarynS

Reviewed 6 June 2007

I went with my sister in August 2006: very high season. We loved everything about the Hawthorne. Maryanne was funny, welcoming, and very helpful. She gave us honest recommendations and warnings about restaurants, which was refreshing -- she didn't just recommend expensive places and leave it at that. We stayed in the adorable Rose room with lovely views looking out to her pretty garden in the back. The house is beautiful.

And the breakfasts are to DIE for. Though there isn't any choice, there are a couple of courses so if you don't like something you'll have other things to eat, and you can always tell Maryanne if you have dietary needs. And I ate every single thing I was served and craved more.

The Inn has a great location, away from the noise of the main downtown area, but within an easy, pretty 5-minute walk.

The Hawthorne isn't cheap but really, no B&B's in Camden are.

The best thing was that even though we were only got to stay for a couple of nights, and we were there in the busiest of seasons, Maryanne made us feel as valuable as the next guest, and we loved all the personalized touches of the Inn.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
5  Thank fellowtraveler27
Reviewed 15 March 2007

Had to get away from the rat race. I like small places. The Hawthorn Inn was perfect. There was even a bubbly brook next to my room in the coach house, a soaking whirl pool tub and cozy fire place with a reading lamp. How nice to walk to the shore, watch the boats and see the children play. The breakfasts were delicious and most of all healthy. Good show.

Stayed: March 2007
5  Thank CozyGuy
Reviewed 11 October 2006

My husband and I loved the village of Camden. The Inn was comfortable, within several blocks of the village. I would recommend choosing a room in the carriage house. Unfortunately, our neighbors snoring kept me awake and the newer facility may be more sound proof. Breakfast was nice.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Summerbunny
Reviewed 25 September 2006

I have lodged at the Hawthorn Inn in Camden, Maine every year for the past four years, using my precious vacation time to do so. Why Camden? Why the Hawthorn Inn? Camden is a quiet seacoast town with a deep sea port and an even deeper history for the traveler to discover. But it’s also a quiet and polite place to rest my wracked nerves. You see, I have a high-profile, high-tension career with a hectic schedule. Peace and quiet are essential for reviving my Buddhist soul. Nothing at the Hawthorn Inn jars my mind; there are no surprises that call for apologies; there are no interruptions to my meditation trance! But besides that, Maryanne Shanahan is the perfect host, always interested in my well being but never intrusive; always there with a smile and encouragement and never with a scorn for my wicked quips at the breakfast table. The breakfasts are well thought out, healthy food--not fat-filled, preservative “enhanced” Jimmy Dean’s sausages. Bravo to Maryanne for her imaginative breakfast themes – artfully produced like a stage show. And if you get there before I return, give a big hug to Tori – the princess of the house.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank daghome
Reviewed 19 September 2006

We stayed in the building next to the main one. It had a beautiful large jacuzzi tub with sumptious bath salts. The bed was tremendously comfortable and it looked out over the peaceful gardens. One night we heard scratching at the sliding glass door only to find 3 young racoons begging for a treat. We stayed 2 nights and enjoyed the morning ambiance of the other guests at the delicious breakfasts. We had dinner at Cork Restaurant which was within walking distance. To top it all off, the weather was perfect and there was a lunar eclipse....that's why it was magical....you gotta go!!!

• Stayed: November 2004, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jodysaul
Reviewed 17 September 2006

We had stayed at this inn before the current owner took it over a number of years ago, and the transformation has been gradual but decisive. The room furnishings, window treatments, and bathrooms have all been carefully considered and upgraded where necessary. Because we go in the offseason, Camden in general and the inn in particular are always quiet and relaxing. The hospitality is always warm but never intrusive: we were always welcomed and pampered, but the staff had a deft touch with the necessary room changes and little extras like afternoon lemonade so that we were never hurried, neglected, or "herded." The most distinctive feature, perhaps, is the hearty, healthful, and original breakfasts. With a few stays for comparison, we can point to the inn's distinctive take on eggs Benedict as one signature dish, and people from across the country have requested the special granola blend that the inn will be happy to ship. All told, given that we have been to properties all over the world and have developed high standards, it's high praise for the Hawthorn that we continue to return year after year.

• Stayed: March 2006