“Let Your Imagination Run Wild!”
Review of Goddard Mansion

Goddard Mansion
A TripAdvisor Member
“Let Your Imagination Run Wild!”
Reviewed 2 December 2005

I discovered the Goddard Mansion on plain curiosity when I was exploring the land of Cape Elizabeth. I had originally gone to see the lighthouse, but found there was more to be seen.
While walking along the beautiful shores I took notice of a rather very large "shell" of a building which I found out to be the Goddard Mansion. I was in sheer amazement.
Now, if your not one that’s interested in history, you might look at this building and think, “big deal.” However, if you find things that have happened in the past intriguing and mysterious, then you’ll love to have a gander at this place.
Although they don’t allow you to actually walk inside (for some of it), I nonetheless explored every crack and crevice I could get myself into. It’s basically just the walls of what I’m sure was once a very breathtaking home, but if you posses an imagination as I do, I’m sure you’ll have no problem “picturing” this mansion as it once used to be.
Conveniently located just out front is a stone monument informing you of it’s many uses. I believe I recall it reading that the mansion was once used as a home for men in the military and their families, and that the basement was used as a club of some sort.
Altogether, even though I found it a bit disheartening that the mansion wasn’t preserved better, it was an interesting place to look at and read about, and I would certainly recommend history seekers to go have a look at it.
NOTE: The Goddard Mansion is also surrounded by old “lookout” military forts, which are equally enticing, if not more!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member