“Great for families”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Point Sebago

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Casco
Point Sebago
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Casco
Northborough, Massachusetts
“Great for families”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Resort is fantastic. Plenty of activities for all ages. The accomadations are trailers. They could be cleaner and a bit more accomadating for the price. However, time spent in trailer should be minimal because of all the activities. They are heavily staffed and extremely friendly. We had a 9, 10 and 11 year old and they never got bored. They had their bikes and would be gone all day. They would wake up in the morning and plan their day in the activities book (Chippy's Bible we called it) and be gone. Lots of parent/child competitions that really get families to bond. We also had games and events for the adults as well. The golf course is one of my favorites of all time. Great place for family, just have to get over the sleeping arrangements. Get outside and enjoy the outdoors and the lake!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Joseph R

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

We did not enjoy this vacation. We endured it - until we left early.

There is definitely a disconnect of what constitutes "family friendly" between the mainstream and this resort. Family friendly does not, in my estimation, include allowing drinking and smoking on the beach, which occurs all day, every day, on every beach. This policy yields drunk adults swearing and carrying on "mature" conversations everywhere - in the dining room, on the beach, at the arcade, at the marina, in front of children.

"Resort" is used liberally as well. We paid almost $1,000 for our family of four for the weekend, and we arrived to find that we were required to bring our own beach furniture (does not indicate this on the website). The food was abysmal. Mushy pasta, tomato sauce that tastes like a can, iceberg lettuce with one dressing choice; ice skating rink pizza is better than what they served. Not a piece of whole fruit to be found. All of the food was very, very salty. If you have a picky eater, you are out of luck - none of the usual kid-food staples were available at each meal. We did ask for peanut butter, and we were given little packs by a dining room attendant. We stopped going to the dining room, even though we were on the full meal plan for the weekend. Our son told us that food at summer camp was better. I'm confident it was.

We could have stayed at the Red Jacket for close to this price. I wish we had.

"Resort" is also a stretch when it comes to the dining experience, apart from the [let me emphasize - very, very bad] food. A "campground" definition would have prepared us for eating entirely on paper plates, plastic utensils and from plastic and Styrofoam cups, drinking fake lemonade and ice tea from jugs (think yellow and red multi-gallon camping jugs), with NO recycling whatsoever, anywhere. There are hundreds of people eating at the various dining rooms every day, with not a single recycling bin to be found. Left us scratching - and shaking - our heads.

Many of the reviews of this resort talk about a great get-away, e.g., "it's a campground for crying out loud, not a five star hotel," etc. If only it were advertised in that manner, I would have known what to expect. It is advertised as a family vacation resort, and I paid a far sight more than I would have paid for a campground. The service is in line with a campground as well. Many of the adult employees were friendly, professional, accommodating. The younger help, categorically, is terrible. These kids are not trained to deal with families, or the general public for that matter. Most of them were visibly bored, impolite and would very obviously be anywhere but at work at Point Sebago. (Thinking of it as I type, if I had to deal with all the drunken ridiculousness that they do, I might be jaded as well.)

I read the reviews and thought that my family would enjoy the activities. These activities are generally run by these bored teenagers, who don't inspire fun. They are attended by many children who are being generally ignored by parents who are well into their drunken state. I will not disparage children, and will let the reader read between the lines to interpret my meaning.

In short, we are not judgmental people and we enjoy our cocktails. We are pretty laid back and have an understanding of what budget-friendly vacationing means. We just tend to separate our drinking time and family time. (Call us crazy, or uptight, but we just don't get drunk and/or swear in front of our kids.) We did not enjoy explaining to our children: beers on the beach at 10 a.m., eight people on a speeding golf cart, half of whom are sloppy drunk, teenagers making out and generally "hanging out" at the play ground; swearing, swearing, swearing, everywhere, anywhere; cigarette butts absolutely everywhere, including on the beach. At one point, we stopped to let a young boy on a bike cross the road. NINE cars and golf carts passed without letting this poor little kid go (it was raining), and when someone in the other direction finally stopped to let him go, a golf cart swung around the stopped car and nearly ran into this child.

In short, Point Sebago is a party place, and for anything but the campground, overpriced. It is not the family-centric place it holds itself out to be (if it where, that little boy would have made it across the street without many cars passing him by, at a minimum). If you want to drink and smoke all day on the beach, swear to your heart's content anywhere, whether children are present or not, this is the place for you. If you want your teenagers to roam the resort freely, sneaking alcohol, traipse around in packs, hanging on other teens, swearing loudly, generally yelling at all hours, etc., PS is the right venue. If being spoken to rudely by bored teenage employees strikes your fancy, you have come to the right place.

I completely agree with the review written by Natalie B. The pervasive theme and environment is drinking and partying. Clearly some people find this a relaxing family vacation; the place was packed to the gills. We did not find this a welcoming atmosphere to be with our children. You get what you pay for? Not. Even. Close.

Take your family elsewhere; you'll be glad you did.

Room Tip: If after reading this review you still want to try it... Lagoon Way is on the quieter side. Everywh...
8 Thank Jane S
Abington, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

Family went to Point Sebago for the first time this August, and had a WONDERFUL time!!! I had been nervous because a couple of reviewers said the lake smelled - - untrue while we were there, the lake had no odor at all! We swam everyday, we even took the ferry to the sandbar for a cookout - the water was just beautiful. Also, someone else posted here that her unit had been dirty - ours was extremely clean when we checked in. Also, I will mention although there were more golf carts than I thought were necessary, I didn't see anyone driving one who appeared to be drunk - in fact security here is can be seen often patrolling both on foot and in golf carts. I do not believe drunken golf cart driving is a big issue here...I'm not saying the other review didn't experience it herself, I just don't think it's all that common.
There was so much to do!! Our boys 9 and 6 liked the discovery camps, we went paddleboating, kayaking, and canoeing. We saw a comedian, went to Shrek the musical (which was excellent), did a sunset ferry ride - so much fun! We found the staff to be very friendly, one stand out was a bar tender at the golf course. After hitting a couple of buckets of balls my husband and I sat down for a drink and found this bartender very personable and interesting to talk to. At one point my 6 year old needed an ice pack, and a teen life guard went out of his way to find one for us. We will absolutely go back.

Room Tip: Do bring your own food -the units come with a kitchenette, and it will be a money saver in the long...
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

My wife and I were invited as guests to stay a weekend at the resort. Check in was quick and easy with the express service they offer. We both expected that the resort was going to be such a great weekend getaway, little be known it was the most horrible place ever. After checking in we made our way (tried) to our camp home. Good luck trying to get there in a car as the roads are covered in drunks driving golf carts and unattended children. When you do make it to your camp home (omg its a trailer) you feel as your in a trailer park! As soon as we all got settled in we all decided to have a cocktail at one of the bars that the front desk told us about. The bar was very loud for one but the one. Bartender and bar back had a hard time even keeping up with all the drunks. As we sat there I was horrified to find out three of the patrons there were workers. One waitress a cook and a manager! That's not what horrified me it was the language and conversations they were having about the establishment. The one gentlemen drunk said that since hes been there the place has become a better establishment. If you could understand his slurred words! Nothing beats being slapped on the back numerous times by a drunk employee!!!! "a better establishment! Wow." you would think that upper management would not allow employees to fraternize with paying customers. Let alone a manager to be drunk and belligerent to the paying customers. Needless to say the four of us checked out a day early! The worse experience ever. Don't go to point Sebago unless you want to drink with management and their staff see the illegal transactions that go on listened to the employees complain about their jobs and to be slapped on the back! Worse place ever!

• Stayed August 2013
6 Thank stevenbraggs
NEWTON MA.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

The reviews that I have been reading are wrong Point Sebago is a Great couples or family getaway. An Oasis in a sea of green wilderness. Yes its got its golfcarts driven by young teens,also adults letting go of the everyday nonsense we hold with us . I say "GO SEE YOURSELF" Tons for your kids to do, Great people, good service. All around nice place!! OH YEAH! Lighten up people it's a campground you didn't book at the WALDORF ASTORIA , one star thats just ridiculous..

1 Thank EDWARD N
Pelham, New Hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

This was our third year at Sebago and our LAST! It was the worst vacation I have ever had! It is nothing more but a drunk house and golf cart speedway! You don't hear birds chirping or wind blowing leaves...you hear golf carts buzzing up and down the roads day and night! Guess what...most of those golf carts are driven by drunk people! They drink all day at the beach or bar and then drive home to get ready for more drinking! The parties are loud although I have to say most are quiet by 11pm. My teenage son was on his bike and a golf cart driven by a man with a "red solo cup" backed into him and then drove away. He had no clue that he had hit anyone...lucky for us my son was ok... but the wheel on his bike was not. Also want to mention that there is a lot of bulling so if your child is not a "city kid" or is a bit different be prepared for him/her to have a terrible time too. My little one went to camp one day and every time we peeked on him the camp leader was texting on her phone and the children were self entertaining. Guess that would be ok if I wanted to dump my kids off for the day so I could get drunk! Also want to mention that I saw two very little boys in need of the life guard because their parents were too busy drinking on beach and not watching their children in the water. I am a nurse and thought I would have to be saving lives on vacation! The food is terrible! yuk! I did not feel like my children were safe on the roads because of all of the golf carts and they were even going down one way streets. I was very disappointed. It was no Vacation!

13 Thank Natalie B
South Portland, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

I had been to Point Sebago for my Husbands high school reunion about 4 years ago. I had never been or heard of it until then and I was in love. The beach and water is beautiful all sand! The burgers we had were good! I had a great time there which I did not expect since I don't do well at social functions not knowing anyone. I am very shy. Anyways August (2012) Ryan purposed to me in a helicopter down on the Jersey Shore while visiting his grandma. We agreed to have the wedding in a year and also both wanted a beach wedding. His thoughts were to have wedding on land his family owns in New Hampshire. I know my family and they are not ones who will travel at all. We had just attended a beautiful wedding which the couple needed to plan every single aspect which when they told me they paid 1200 for the "port-a -potty" which was the nicest I have ever seen I almost died. I wanted a low cost easy fun wedding. I am a person who would rather save money for a home instead of a big fancy wedding. (Thats me and my dream) I was researching our options in our area and every idea I had, they all were missing something, didn't have parking, didn't have bathrooms, only can have 50 ppl, but mostly we cannot plan the weather and not knowing a year away what our wedding day would bring, rain or sun this forced us to think we would need to rent a tent or some plan for rain, which tents are pricey! I think I googled beach weddings and Point Sebago came up. I remembered how I loved that place and I would have loved to get married there. I was beyond shocked to see it was AFFORDABLE.... like really affordable and it fit our budget! I was so excited I emailed right away wanting to know more. Ryan was not so thrilled with my thought. He agreed to check the place out with me. Ruth was very kind and great personality for wedding planning (full of energy and happy!) What really sold me on this idea (yes I loved the surroundings and the price) the fact they ensure that if the weather doesn't cooperate they will provide shelter to have the wedding under! They had parking, they had restrooms, they did the cooking, they had the tables, they had the chairs for the ceremony....They had everything I was concerned about if I had to put on at some random place. I kept telling Ryan why this place was perfect. All the stress that would be off us I wanted to have it there. I was sold before we even got the details. When we met Ruth for the first time and she showed us where the Beach BBQ wedding would be held, she said (I think jokingly) "Oh if you wanted to zip line into the wedding ceremony we can make that happen" Ryan and I looked at one another and instantly both said "OH MY YES!" I was so excited to think we could do this! It was a DOUBLE zip line so my Dad would be able to "zip me down the aisle". My Dad was thrilled with that idea also. Ryan and I said yes we wanted to book our wedding. We were able to have it in August and we selected a Sunday (8/18/13) at noon. We also both loved the idea of an hour boat cruise that would hold all our guests! I told Ruth the two musts for my wedding were the zip line and the boat cruise so make sure those can happen and I will be thrilled. I really didn't care what was going to be served for food, I don't remember weddings I have been to the food that was served, I remember the fun the laughter and the people! I have to say the chicken was great! The food I was impressed by! Ruth had offered some ideas for me as the bride and having to zip line into the ceremony I would have to wear a harness, I choose to wear shorts with bride tank and veil on zipline, I set up curtains next to the end of the zip line where I could get my dress on. I did not want a big hard to get into wedding dress, so this may not work for some ladies, but with my dress being easy to get on it worked for me. The set up was perfect, there are trees around the end of the zip line so you have a place to walk out of without being right there for all the guests to see. The chairs for the ceremony were set up to face the water, where we were zip lining over. Where the zip line starts is across the water so you are "hidden" from the guests! (We told a few who needed to know that we were zip lining but was a surprise to our guests) the DJ announced for people to look and in came the Groom with his father! I could hear the cheers from up in the trees! It was AMAZING! Point Sebago did make a video of our unique entrance and we signed the consent and we were able to have this amazing beautiful video of us. Without that we would not have captured that side of the ceremony! The behind the scenes look! I cannot express my gratitude in words for the Summitt Crew (zip line company) and all at Point Sebago for making our day so perfect! (I did have some unplanned things come up like all weddings have but NOTHING was due to Point Sebago they provided everything and then some!) I did take a "risk" well it was more unplanned where Point Sebago required a certain number of nights for a future reservation and we already had "honeymoon" planned Ruth did say that we can call a few weeks prior and see if they had any avail park homes. This is a big risk they do book up fast in the peek season and August was peek season. I feel the universe worked for us and when I did some planning and realized if I stayed at Point Sebago it would help me with timing for setting up (I wanted to set up since no one else knew what my vision was) I live about an hour from Point Sebago so I would have an issue of where to get ready. I did luck out and booked night before the wedding and the night of the wedding. I was impressed by the Park homes there they have a kitchen and AC they have decks with a picnic table (well one we were in and all the ones I took notice to did too) Only not super aspect was the bed in the bedroom was not easy for me to sleep on. I do have MS so I know my body is super sensitive to things. I was impressed by how clean the place was including the mattress. I did bring my own sheets and blankets (you can get package at PS) I have nothing negative to say about Point Sebago both the stay there and also the wedding I highly highly recommend. I know my wedding is not the dream wedding for every couple but for us it was PERFECT! I have only heard amazing things from our friends and family about the day! Even my mother, who dislikes outdoors, beaches, water, boats, she said it was a beautiful fun day! That right there speaks volumes! I say it doesnt hurt to check the place out and see if it is a place for you. I dont think the pictures you find online do it justice at all. It is beautiful! I had no idea how much they offer. Appears it is a great place to go if you have kids they do have plenty to do for them! Thank you Point Sebago all the "behind the scenes crew" who helped and most of all Ruth York who made this day come together!!!!!

Room Tip: I am calling the beach and water the swimming pool! and the room service is what I am rating as the...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Casco
Hampton Inn Oxford
#1 of 1 in Poland Springs
Lakeview Inn
Lakeview Inn
#1 of 5 in Naples

Been to Point Sebago? Share your experiences!