“Enjoy the island, but stay some place else”

Chebeague Island Inn
South Portland, Maine
“Enjoy the island, but stay some place else”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

May I suggest, to the management, that they keep a stash of stain remover on hand, so that when the server pours blueberry sauce in the hair and down the front of a customer while serving dessert, they can deal with the apparel ruining stains? And, perhaps, profuse apologies from the server (mistake barely acknowledged), and more apologies from the staff when asked if they could please clean the stains (response? "We don't do laundry"). And $380 (plus tax, plus 'occupancy fee' (what's that?!?!) for a tiny room, with no amenities? How about glass glasses instead of environmentally destructive plastic. And, actually, an ice bucket would be nice.
My suggestion? Stay in Portland, take the ferry ride to Chebeague, sit on the beautiful inn porch. Have a beverage and something to eat (the mussels are the best I have ever had). Maybe borrow a bike and take a ride around the island. But, get back on the ferry and stay in the Old Port.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
25 Thank nelle97

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Nashua, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

My husband and I, like most nowadays, are "go go go" all the time and I wanted a place to get away from it all for our anniversary weekend. I chose Chebeague Island Inn because as far as I could tell, there wasn't much to do, and I would have no choice but to take it "down a key".

The staff was welcoming, warm, ready to accommodate ANY request (including storing our stinky bait we had brought from the mainland for fishing the next day).

There happened to be a wedding that weekend and when I heard that upon checking in, I got nervous that the staff would be spending all their time on the wedding and neglecting the other hotel guests, but this was absolutely not the case. I would never had known there was an event happening right outside. The staff rolled with everything thrown at them, without a hitch.

The rooms are small but incredibly clean and neat; bed was extremely comfortable.

Abby, Gilian, EJ, Chris, Marvin - the whole staff made our two days very memorable. We will definitely be back next year.

Keep in mind, no AC, TV or phones in any of the rooms.....

Room Tip: You'll want a room facing the ocean side, with private bath. Room 307 was beautiful.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Walshy21973
south portland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

In spite of gorgeous weather and the beauty of the island, it was a disappointing overnight as a result of the service (really the lack of service!) at the inn. The inn stood us up at the ferry even though I called that morning to confirm a ride. We waited for a ride for over half an hour and then were kept waiting in the van while it waited for another ferry. The staff at the desk were unprofessional and unfriendly, keeping us waiting yet again for a room key for 15 minutes while one woman at the desk engaged in a social visit with a customer. The room was less than clean, especially the bathroom. It was not cleaned to an acceptable standard. The breakfast that came w/ the room was okay, BUT we waited over 40 minutes to be served and there was nary an apology. The coffee urn in the lobby was EMPTY both times I sought coffee in the morning, and when I called it to the attention of the woman at the desk, she said she would get some and then never brought it to me while we waited way too long for breakfast service. The only positive I can state is the dinner/chef was a treat. But a fine dinner in Portland is easy to come by and the next time I take my sweetie out, it will NOT be to Chebeague Island Inn where the cost includes a dirty room, ferry tickets and parking. The manager I discussed my frustrating and disappointing experience with stated she would be back in touch and intended to comp us a return stay. I never heard from her again. I can not recommend this property.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
22 Thank cathySoPo
Key West
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

I visited Maine for the first time this summer. Staying at Chebeague Inn was a great way to start off the trip. The day we checked in happened to be during the heat wave days of July. It was in the upper 90s and realizing there was no AC in the rooms was a little devastating. However, this is not typical weather for the island--it seldom gets that hot, so that is why there is no AC. The heat did not ruin the trip, it cooled off for the remainder of the stay and was just fine. The room was clean, fresh, white, and a great view of the water. The property is vast with beautiful flowers sprawling in various colors. During the day, the Inn has beach cruiser bikes to explore the island. We spent both days taking them to different beaches and seeing the island. After being out on the bikes, it was nice to come back and have a cocktail on the beautiful, wrap around porch. All the staff at Chebeague Inn are super friendly and great. The food was an unexpected surprise. Every dish that came out was delicious! I looked forward to dinner every night. We ended up extending our stay from 2 nights to 3 nights. Had we stayed longer we would have taken the ferry in to Portland, however, it was the right amount of time to relax and hang around the island. I would definitely recommend Chebeague Inn and would love to visit every summer!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank KeyS19
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

I think the fair assessment for Chebeague Island Inn should be 3.5 stars, but TripAdvisor doesn't have that option so 3 stars it is.
We came here with another couple for a long weekend, we are all in our mid 20s/30s. The conundrum is: a long weekend feels too short since you have to travel so far to get here (driving/flying from place of origin, get to the ferry terminal, wait for the ferry, take the 1+hr ferry to Chebeague, then wait for the hotel van to pick up), but there is nothing to do on the island, so any longer would feel incredibly boring. There is a 8-hole golf course nearby, but none of us were golfers. The Inn has cruisers for patrons to ride around the island, but most were broken (chain issues, seat issues, the employees told us not to take them). We took the ferry into Portland daily, because again, there is nothing to do on Chebeague, but abiding by a set ferry schedule (it does not run frequently) is not all that charming either.
The service was fine, seems to be a lot of teenagers who work there in the summer, and they were friendly. The food was good, though it was not like we had any alternative on the island.
The rooms are tiny - this coming from a New Yorker should tell you something. And most importantly, it is expensive. I doubt I will come to Chebeague again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank qls200
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

Take the Ferry from Portland Maine. $11 round trip! Ferry services 5 islands and this is one. One or two days are nice but I need civilization after that. No TV or AC. You may like that and it could be a plus. Staff great. They pick you up at the landing. There is a Inn restaurant too. A bit expensive but nice. We drive to Portland but Amtrak stops one short block to Ferry. And the Portland area around that very enjoyable with many choices of waterside restaurants.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank IndyTraveler46236
Port Washington, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

A charming island. Hotel a bit old, but fitting the island. Don't expect much from the rooms and be careful to check if you get a private bathroom. None hole golf course adjacent is cute, but not special. Food good, service poor.l

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Harraseeket Inn
#1 of 11 in Freeport
Portland Regency Hotel & Spa
Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Waterfront

Been to Chebeague Island Inn? Share your experiences!