“the best pace you want to be” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rideout's Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Danforth
Rideout's Lodge
hothouse
“the best pace you want to be”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

This was my first visit and it was a memorable experience, easy excess to get there, and as a Canadian, I was treated with respect and care and they were very helpful since with my condition of Parkinson it' s not always easy, the cabins were clean, the food was very good and the staff were very efficient, the fishing awesome, overall excellent, I shall return in 2014, I've had the privilege to experience other outfitters but none came as good as this one, The friendliness sold me. And may I add that hiring a guide is good, you fish with worrying about handling the boat and he takes you where the fish are, I would recommend it.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank screamdream

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

A catered business meal for thirty people was no problem for Rideout's. The setting was beautiful and relaxing. The homestyle food was fresh and hot, and it tasted so good that 'delicious' doesn't cover it. Jim Brown goes out of his way to take care of his customers.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Niet32
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

When I moved to Boston I quickly started to Google places to go fishing and also places to take my kids for long weekend adventures. After much searching I decided on Rideouts for a couple reasons: their fishing looked great and it was remote enough (5 hour drive from Boston) that we would be away from crowds.

Rideouts met exactly what I was looking for. Jim and Dick were so great to deal with as they looked after every detail for me from the lodging, boats and guide.

Fishing:

Rideouts offers Smallmouth Bass, Lake Trout, Brook Trout, White Perch and the prized Landlock Salmon. My first recommendation is to hire a guide. They are cheap compared to most places $100-$250 (est.) for a full day. What you will learn from them in one day will save you a week of fishing time. Once you go with a guide once or twice, you can rent your own boat and explore the lake.

The fishing at Rideouts is excellent. I’m talking world class. The Smallmouth fishery produces averages in the 3lb range. I caught fish up to 5 lbs and others have caught larger. If I didn’t split up my day between bass and salmon you could have 100 fish days for Smallies. I went to Rideout’s to catch salmon. I hired Brian Cain to take me out on the lake for a couple days and what I learned from him was invaluable. Not only did he educate me on how to catch but I caught fish. Matter a fact one of my salmon was over 5 lbs – a true trophy for landlock salmon. The salmon hit lures and bait like freight trains and once hooked, are jumping out of the water more than they are in the water. A true fishermen’s fish.

The rental boats at Rideout’s are great and well maintained. The have 4 stroke engines and are large and roomy an can easily fit 4 adults.

Lodging & Food:

Rideout’s has several options for lodging from small, cozy cabins to large cabins for family get togethers. The cabins are very clean, comfortable and perfect for the experience. If you are looking for The Hamptons, well, this isn’t the place for you. If you are looking for a place to get away from your ever day hustle and bustle, this is the place.

The food is very good and after a day on the water they make sure you don’t leave hungry. The dining area is right on the water so you look out at the lake and dock. It’s an amazing view while you eat. I enjoyed steak, turkey and other delicious meals. The homemade fresh bread was one of my favorites (besides the cookies). They also pack you a bag lunch while you are out fishing. Just a note to fishermen on meals, dinner and breakfast are set a specific time so if you want to stay out all day you might want to do your own cooking.

Bottom line, if you are looking for great fishing, service and an all-around enjoyable time Rideout’s is the place.

I have attached some pictures below from my trips. As you can see I enjoyed myself.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Stafford, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

We found Rideouts not because we fish but because we ATV. It was a perfect location along the MANY miles on contecting trails in the area. It was wonderful because we did not have to trailer our quads at all, the whole weekend which was a real plus.
We had a 4 bedroom cabin with a screened in porch with lakeview. The cabin was spotless with the basic amenities. There wasn't a TV, which was the best, since my husband & sons spent many hours playing RISK and bonding. I enjoyed watching them.
The lake is beautiful for swimming and they say the fishing is good too! We were lucky enough to see a bald eagle.
Jim and crew were wonderful too, very helpful.
We hope to visit again in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

Rideout lodge is a perfect place to enjoy and explore the lake, to fish and also to just enjoy a few peaceful days away from everything. It is rather rustic, but it offers all you need and even more, a wonderful host, Dick, always there, always helpful. Early morning there is good coffee waiting to wake you up, take a seat in a chair and enjoy the wonderful view over the lake. I was very sorry to leave this little paradise and I will definitely come back.

Room Tip: Rent a boat and explore the lake, where you find hidden beaches and quiet coves just for you. You ca...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Hagerstown, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

This is my second year coming to Rideout's for a week-long vacation and I've stayed in the same cabin twice so, that's where I'll focus the majority of my review.

The location of the campground itself is idyllic, serene, and rustic - about 40 minutes to the closest grocery store (in Houlton), and it's easy to spot off of Rt. 1 - just look for the illuminated sign for a vacation bible conference and a convenience/variety store.

All of the cabins sit right on Grand Lake which is always beautiful no matter what the weather. I stayed in cabin #182 (aka Cyr cabin). #182 is large and spacious - sleeps 6 comfortably (with one person on the sofa - word to the wise, do not even attempt to sleep on the sofa bed) but it was definitely built for people shorter than 5'5". The ceilings are low and the bathroom - especially the shower - is very cramped.

The kitchen is equipped with an updated gas stove and oven, toaster and coffee maker; an outdated refrigerator and microwave. There is ample storage by way of closets and cabinets. Most of the kitchen essentials are provided except for the small details like measuring spoons, etc.

There is a nice dock attached to #182 for boating and sunbathing. There are neighbors on both sides but there is adequate privacy thanks to trees and the boat house. However, voices do carry so, don't be surprised if you're sitting outside the screened in sun-porch at night and can hear your neighbors' conversations as clear as day. Just remember, this means they can hear you, too.

Cabin #182 is plumbed with lake water and so we had to bring a 5 gallon jug with us to the main lodge in order to fill up on drinkable water. It really wasn't an inconvenience at all but something worth mentioning. Also to note - the parking at the cabin - is on an incline but can easily accommodate up to 3 mid-sized cars.

The staff was knowledgeable and thorough in regards to boating and fishing needs. They provide licencing and fishing equipment on site. Half of the cabins are under new management and we weren't able to pay the lodging fees with a credit card - we had to pay with cash or check. We could rent kayaks/boats/canoes with plastic and they had an OK selection to choose from.

The general atmosphere was nice - ample stargazing at night provided there are clear skies. There is hardly any auto traffic within ear shot, hardly any water traffic, too, for that matter. It was wonderful to be able to sit out and listen to the loons call at night. However, bring ample bug spray - last year the mosquitoes weren't so bad but this year we were eaten alive.

All in all, I will still keep coming to Rideout's each year for a week of vacation and I would recommend Rideout's to friends and family. The best value for the cabin is to divide it amongst 6 people.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank jzamostny
Leominster, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2011

Rideouts Lodge and the staff are great,very accommodating and knowledgeable about the lake and the fishing.If you are looking for great fishing,great clean cabins on the water than this is the place for you.You will not find any place better than this place.We have been coming up here for years and when we leave we can not wait to come back.We wouldn't even consider going any where else.The fishing is superb with monster salmon and bass to be caught.The lake I would have to say is the most beautiful,most peaceful,picturesque place on earth.What could be any better than watching the eagles and birds fly and catching more fish than you will know what to do with.Than back to a cabin on the water to relax.........PURE HEAVEN....Anyone looking for the best fishing and accommodations needs to go to Rideouts.It will be the vacation of a lifetime.

Room Tip: Get a cabin on the water it so much better
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Been to Rideout's Lodge? Share your experiences!