“Very unique bed and breakfast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Brewster Inn

The Brewster Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Dexter B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Very unique bed and breakfast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

We don't usually stay in a bed and breakfast when we travel, but we decided to splurge on the honeymoon suite for our anniversary trip to the northeast and we were very glad that we did! The bedroom area was very spacious with a very comfy bed, sitting area for watching TV and relaxing, another sitting room with a mini frig for drinks, and a large bathroom with a bubbly whirlpool bath (by the way, Mark has the softest towels I've ever had when we've been away from home!). Mark was an excellent host by having everything ready for us when we checked in and it was so interesting to hear and read some of the rich history of the Brewster Inn. Dexter is such a cool little town to explore and my wife and I took several walks around town while we were staying there. Dexter's central location in Maine is very conducive to going on day trips to sightsee and returning back to the Inn in the evenings to relax. If we are ever in Maine again, we will definitely return to the Brewster Inn.

Room Tip: We didn't see the other rooms, but the Honeymoon Suite is awesome!
Green Features: I am pleased that we could stay in a Inn that is trying to help the environment by using special cleansers and recycling.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
BrewsterInn_Mark, Owner at The Brewster Inn, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Hi Paul Yes i love the towels and robes here. Incredibly warm and fluffy and thats good when your relaxing in the honeymoon suite or any of the other guest rooms here at the Brewster Inn. I get a lot of guests that stay here for numerous nights like yourself, as with Dexter being the centre of Maine, you can treat the inn as your base, go out and explore each day and come back here to very comfortable accommodations each evening and not have to worry about checking in and out of a different property every day. So much more relaxing!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Bloomfield, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

Vacationing in the New England area, the Brewster Inn was our first experience with a Bed and Breakfast. The experience far exceeded our expectations. Mark was a terrific host, for beginners. Our room was a combination of a luxury suite and museum. The walls were tastefully decorated with all sorts of items of interest, that provided a quaint look into the history of the home and the area in which we were visiting. The best part was having Mark as a resource to direct our daily activities. He steered us into site seeing and hiking that we would have never found on our own. We twice visited the Vittles Restaurant which he recommended and enjoyed two meals there, the dining highlight of our two week vacation. Should we ever have the opportunity to visit that region again, we would use the Brewster Inn as our base location and adventure out daily from there, taking full advantage of Mark’s considerable knowledge of the area, sites and other points of interest. A tremendous debt of gratitude to Mark for all of his guidance and suggestions!

Room Tip: The Game Room was large & very convenient.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Hi Jane, i was very happy you enjoyed your first stay at a B&B. I get a lot of first time guests here and i like that very much. Lots of good recommendations are ready and available for all my guests so that they can do all the "must do" things whilst they are in the area. I love Vittles restaurant too. Best pace to eat in the area by far. Love to see you back in the future
WIlmington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

My husband and I have stayed in many B&B's. This one, for sure, beats out all the rest. This inn is absolutely lovely. Mark, the innkeeper and owner of the inn is a real gentleman. He took the time to talk to us and we felt extremely welcomed in his home and that was at the beginning of our stay!! Over the two days that we spent at the inn it felt like home. The room was immaculate. The bedding was very nice and I personally loved the pillows! The breakfast was very generous and the baked raisin french toast was delish! The gardens to this property is a lovely work in progress. I admire Mark for his vision and making it come to fruition. We will be returning next August for 4 nights for a family wedding. I can't wait to return. I am booking my reservation early to ensure i get the same room overlooking the gardens. Thank you Mark. You made our vacation.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the gardens. You won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Hi Lauraiv
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. I always try to be welcoming and that helps my guests feel good when they get here. I tell everyone to treat the Brewster Inn during your stay like your "home from home" and it works well like that for all my guests. Lots more been happening since you were here making the Inn better and better inside and out. See you for the wedding in August
Streetsboro, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

Our Maine vacation took us inland to this lovely B&B. It was the summer home of the Governor of Maine, Owen Brewster. Harry Truman visited there once. Mark, the current owner is restoring this home to it's former glory, while offering a welcome stay to his guests. Breakfast was great, and I especially enjoyed the "hot" casserole served. We enjoyed speaking with the other guests and strolling around the property. Mark offers hospitality with a side of fun British wit! Our friends had never stayed at a B&B before and are now looking forward to their next stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Patricia O
Hi Patricia
Thank you for staying here at the Brewster Inn. Hope to see you again in the future. Lots more good things been happening since you were here.
Fort Kent, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

I have been staying at the historic Brewster Inn for the past month and a half. I have found " the innkeeper", Mark, to be most gracious in meeting my needs. I am in transit awaiting a house closing and Mark has made my stay very relaxing in the "homey" enviornment the Inn has to offer. The rooms are clean, sheets and towels fresh and beds remarkably comfortable. Mark attends to the needs of his guests in every respect and has done a fantastic job of bringing back this historic property to its hayday. I have recommended the Brewster Inn to family and friends as a " must stay" place when they visit the Moosehead region of Maine. This is a wonderful place to stay! Dr. Patrick O'Neill

Room Tip: East side rooms have sun all day long.
Green Features: Unique soap and shampoo dispensers don't waste and are very sanitary.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Patrick O
Hi Patrick. It was great having you here for your extended stay. Good to see your all settled in the area in your new home and occupation too. My guest rooms are clean and the beds are incredibly comfortable, your right!
Belleville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

We enjoyed the drive from I-95 to Dexter to see the Brewster homestead, the lovely grounds, and to enjoy a pleasant stay - nice room, accommodating Innkeeper, comfortable lounge area, and a delicious hot breakfast in the morning in preparation for a busy day!

• Stayed September 2013
DRM1997 Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate your business very much and hope to see you again in the future
Overland Park, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Brewster Inn on 9/4-9/5/13 and it was affordable enough for us both to have our own rooms (we had been sharing hotel rooms prior to this leg of our trip). I had chosen the Game Room and just walking into that room made me feel like I had entered into a history that was poignant and nostalgic. We had made plans to hike Gulf Hagas and I was secretly hoping for rain after seeing this room - it would be a perfect setting for reading and relaxing and truly having a 'vacation day'. It didn't rain and we hiked all day, which was another incredible event in itself. I left Dexter, ME with the thought that I will make this an annual trip that will be treasured and looked forward to. The hiking will be what draws me but the Game Room will be what keeps me coming back. Mark was a very accommodating host (he's kinda fun to tease too). He's has created a magical inn in my opinion and I will be so looking forward to next year.
Sherri B

Room Tip: The Game Room or the Honeymoon Suite are my favorites.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Hi Sherri
I always try to give you good value for money here at the Brewster Inn. I don't do low, high and now PEAK season rates like a lot of accommodations do to get more and more money out of guests. I just keep my prices the same all year round and give you, my guests the best i can.
The Game room is indeed a wonderful room, so much history, ambiance and comfort. A wonderful choice. Hope to see you again later this year. Give me a call when your ready
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dexter
Pittsfield Motor Inn
#1 of 4 in Dover Foxcroft
Canaan Motel
Canaan Motel
#1 of 1 in Canaan

Been to The Brewster Inn? Share your experiences!