“A hidden gem with exceptional value.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Brewster Inn

The Brewster Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Dexter B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bloomfield, Ct
“A hidden gem with exceptional value.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

We spent one night at this very comfortable inn. Mark was extremely helpful and informative. The honeymoon suite is very large with a nice sitting area. The inn is beautifully restored and filled with interesting historical memorabilia . The breakfast was delicious and generous. We hope someday to return when the extensive gardens are in bloom.

• Stayed April 2014
BrewsterInn_Mark, Owner at The Brewster Inn, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Thank you 007 for your kind words. The honeymoon suite is indeed a special suite of rooms and just like the inn itself has a lot of history and I’m sure stories to tell. Thank you for your comments on breakfast and I hope to see you again in the future

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Saco, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

My husband and I decided at the very last minute to take off for an overnight get away and were fortunate enough to come across the Brewster Inn’s website. Not only did they have a very nice looking suite available, it was at a very reasonable price! After looking at the reviews and the website we decided to book the Honeymoon Suite, for the very next night. Mark, the Innkeeper, called us to confirm our reservation within about 20 minutes of booking it online. When we arrived we were greeted warmly by Mark and felt very welcome immediately in our beautiful surroundings. The pictures on the website are all very beautiful, and we were pleasantly surprised to see it in real life - the photos cannot capture the history, the beauty and the love that obviously went into the beautiful mansion’s restoration and continued maintenance. The Inn’s foyer and living room are incredible, with beautiful attention to detail. Gorgeous hardwood floors, fireplace, large windows (with window seats) - lovely antiques and knick knacks in glass fronted cabinets, even a piano, not to mention furniture that makes you want to curl up with a good book! Very warm and inviting. The Honeymoon Suite is perfection, in a word. Not only is it private and quiet, it is beautifully furnished with everything you may want or need, it is spotlessly clean, from floor to ceiling. The bath is wonderful, a giant two person Jacuzzi with a separate shower, all surrounded in wood paneling, floors and ceiling. There are wonderful whimsical statues, urns and bowls on all of the beautiful built in bookcases lining the walls, with a great collection of books and a terrific sofa set in front of a gas fireplace - oh and more window seats! The bed and pillows are so soft and comfortable, we slept like rocks and didn’t want to go home! The breakfast we had was wonderful, and so filling we didn’t need lunch. I can’t thank you enough for a great stay, Mark. We will be back, and we will recommend your place to all of our friends.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
BrewsterInn_Mark, Owner at The Brewster Inn, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Hi Christine.. I have a new reservation system on the way that should be ready in May. I'm excited about it as its going to open a lot more opportunities for my guests to add more to their stay. I'm looking forward to seeing it in action before later on this year, my new website will also be ready and online. I'm glad you enjoyed your time here. I can pretty much guarantee all my guests an incredible nights sleep with my excellent pillows and very comfortable beds. The honeymoon suite is indeed an impressive room, big and private, large whirlpool, fireplace, big seating area. Real comfort at its best. Looking forward to seeing you again in the future
Lincoln, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

My wife and I recently spent a weekend at the Brewster Inn in Dexter, Maine (The Heart of Maine!) halfway between the mountains and the ocean. This is a beautiful old well kept inn where one feels at home, as soon as the front door opens. Mark not only has local knowledge but also reaching knowledge of New England and beyond. I have traveled extensively my whole working life and I look forward to another relaxing visit at the Brewster Inn. Mark does a great job. My wife, who was born in Dexter Maine, is very proud of the fine establishment and what it is doing for the betterment of the town!

Room Tip: Garden Room was delightful
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Hi Sandra it was wonderful having you both at the Brewster Inn and i look forward to seeing you again. The Brewster Inn is a very famous house in the history of Dexter, being the former home of State Governor and Washington Senator Ralph Owen Brewster. It needed a lot of work when i got here and the majority is now complete, but theres always something else to do and we've been getting painting done and more floors refinished along with new rugs coming in for guest rooms too. It gets better and better
Randolph, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

Here in Maine ALL families are accepted and welcomed. Mark being an English Gentleman is a no exception to that rule and is a wonderful host. My spouse and I booked the weekend in the honeymoon suite for Valentine's weekend. From our first meeting in the drive way to our last, Mark treated us with open arms. Walking into the Honeymoon Suite was like walking back in time. Knotty pine walls and ceilings with exposed wood beams. Beautifully newly refinished hardwood floors. Antique books and various items lined the bookshelves all around the room. The bed was antique looking but with a wonderful memory foam mattress. The gas fireplace provided warmth and ambiance to the room. The whirlpool bathtub was a very special treat. Sitting in that during the night with the light from the fireplace while the snow was falling outside was picturesque. The sitting room was a nice spot to do a meditation while sitting on the futon looking out at the falling snow and the full moon. The over all cleanliness of the Inn was spotless. Breakfast was wonderful! The menu was fresh and hot and served in the dining room overlooking the yard. Something that Mark said really stuck with me "The Brewster Inn IS the destination, not Dexter" and this is so true. We specifically decided to have a "staycation" and support a local business, rather than a big chain business. We specifically wanted to go to a place and feel captivated, moved to another time or place. The Brewster Inn did not fail us. There were quaint little antique shops all along the main road, wonderful eateries such as "Vittles" in Pittsfield, Me. This trip was all we had hoped it would be and more. We strongly recommend this Inn to our LGBT community and families out there. We plan on brining our children back and becoming regulars! Thanks Mark and see you soon!

Room Tip: Honeymoon Suite
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the lovely review. I think what you say about acceptance of everyone and welcome to all is exactly what i always try and do here. Thank you for coming and i look forward to seeing you both and with your family in the future. I say to a lot of my guests that Dexter is not the destination, its the Brewster Inn that's your destination because of everything being here for you when you get here. The beauty of Dexter is its geographic location being the centrepoint of Maine so everywhere is easily accessible and just a day trip when you stay at the Brewster Inn. Anything that my guests need to make their stay more enjoyable i always try and provide to give all my guests the best stay i can.
Canterbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

You can just tell when an Inn Keeper loves what he does. Mark has done a great job restoring the Inn to a warm, comfortable and inviting place for visitors to stay. If you are headed to Dexter Maine, look no further for lodging. Trust that you will be welcomed with a clean comfortable room at fair and reasonable prices. When you turn in, the room might be so comfortable you decide to stay in for an extra hour or so. You won't be disappointed staying at the Brewster Inn.

Room Tip: We have stayed here twice in 2 separate rooms. I think the website represents very well what each ro...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Hi James thank you for your kind words. I get a lot of people stay here who are doing a million different things. The Brewster Inn is a great place to be in the central Maine area, whether your here for a few days or just passing through . See you again!
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

This beautiful BnB in quaint Dexter, Maine was once the residence of Owen Brewster, Governor of Maine (remember the governor played by Alan Alda in Martin Scorsese’s film, The Aviator?). The place, now owned by Englishman Mark Stephens, is now a delightful museum full of old bric-a-brac and Owen Brewster memorabilia
It is a veritable doll’s house with nooks and crannies containing many pleasant surprises. The rooms are spacious and clean and atmosphere is that of a quiet retreat. It was a wonderful experience and hope to repeat it soon.

Room Tip: All the rooms are very agreeable.
Green Features: Pretty much all of Maine is environmentally friendly
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Hi Chas, great to see you on your stay here at the Brewster Inn. Theres so much to see and do here and i hope to see you again so that i can show you all that my part of Maine has to offer
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

When I made a reservation at the Brewster Inn, i did it because the inn looked lovely from the pictures and because of the many positive reviews. My husband and I travel to New England every couple of years to enjoy the snow and wander around Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire. When I found this place, my husband questioned why on earth we would want to go up to Dexter where there was little to do in the winter. I told him I liked the inn pictures and he rolled his eyes. That got me a little worried, but when we arrived, our worries were put to rest. Mark has done an incredible job of refurbishing this inn. You can tell that there has been so much work done. For example, the living room. The painting detail is amazing and his taste is quite lovely. He continues to have things done and seems like he is always working on improving. Our room was the game room, and I highly recommend it. We looked at the other rooms and though all are lovely, ours was the biggest and the most spectacular. It is all covered in wood paneling, including a complex ceiling done in stunning wood design. The huge kind bed was comfortable and he had feather pillows, which we love. There were three luggage racks and lots of places to put things. The fireplace was a wonderful touch. Mark is more than willing to give help when needed. If you ask a question, be ready for a rather lengthy response - brevity is not his strong suit, but he is a gracious and caring host and we will definitely return to this lovely in. We did very little but drive around and look at the lakes and read and knit and cuddle, but other will find much to do during their days if pure relaxation is not your goal.

Room Tip: Pick the game room, if stairs are OK with you.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi twestover..
Thank you for coming all the way from the west coast. It was great having you here and enjoying the Game room. At 650sqft it really is an incredible room and very comfy for all my guests with king bed, great seating area, fireplace and lots of good amenities Whether you want to relax with your partner or be outdoors doing activities, the Brewster Inn is a great place to be
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dexter
Pittsfield Motor Inn
#1 of 4 in Dover Foxcroft
Canaan Motel
Canaan Motel
#1 of 1 in Canaan

Been to The Brewster Inn? Share your experiences!