“The Smell was awful” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ocean Point Inn and Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in East Boothbay
Ocean Point Inn and Resort
Boston Ma
“The Smell was awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2009

The Inn has a great location but the smell in the hallways was too much to deal with so we had to leave . The free continental breakfast was not free.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank minis14
Mainah, General Manager at Ocean Point Inn and Resort, responded to this review, 20 May 2010
This guest checked out early for claimed personal reasons and only latter made this claim. No other guest has made this complaint in this unit. If a guest comes to us with a problem we will always adjust things until they are pleased.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Laurel Springs, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2009

Ocean Point Inn is a place for people who want to totally relax and/or share quiet times
with family or friends. It is 111 years old, so if you require shiny & new you won't be happy here. This place has pros & cons, but I found the pros outweighed the cons.
The Inn sits on Linekin Bay and we had a great water view from our room in the Main
Building. Families stay in cottages located along the water on the grounds and all
the guests seemed to be having a great time in spite of the drenching rain we had that
day. You can sit along the sea wall with a good book and watch boats and the storybook setting across the bay. The restaurant and Tavern were very nice and all takes you back
to a time when life was simpler. On the other hand, there are not alot of amenities here.
There was no hook in the bathroom to hang a robe. There once was, but it was gone.
Everything was spotlessly clean, the bed was very comfortable. The A/C worked well and
there was TV, but don't look for luxuries. This is a quaint, comfortable, relaxing place
that is perfect for people who like a trip back to an old fashioned holiday. You will love
the staff, they could not have been nicer or more willing to help. We paid $175.00 AAA for
a King room in the main Inn. There is no elevator, so you have to climb one flight of
outside stairs with your luggage yourself. The cottages look nice, although I did not seem inside them. The road that runs along the water is gorgeous and has some lovely
mansions right on the ocean- makes for a great scenic drive away from the more
busy Boothbay Harbor area. It can get a little boring if you need more to do, but if you
want a nice simple relaxing time- check out Ocean Point Inn. By the way, there is not
a sand beach here- just a rocky promintory-but that is true of this part of Maine everywhere. In closing, at Ocean Point Inn, the water view from our room #2 was wonderful- all ocean/bay with all the trimmings, the Inn sits right on the water. There is a dock you can walk out on to snap photos of the surroundings and watching the waves crash on shore made the stay more than worthwhile. Thanks, Ocean Point Inn, for a lovely stay. By the way, you can see a lighthouse from your room !

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SEAJourney
Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2009

Ocean Point Inn has been the only Maine destination for my family for over 18 years. David and Beth have always been more than Inn Keepers. They are the guardians of one of East Boothbay's sacred places. Whether you want to make life decisions, walk along the best bit of Maine coastline, rest your mind or soothe your soul - OPI has a chair waiting for you and a picture perfect view. Fog and rain are part of the coast and the best time to grab a book (or write one). The three fog horns will lull you to sleep, We've stayed in all parts of the Inn - Beth and David have always accommodated the whole family or just one! My friends who've taken my advice agree - there's no place better. At OPI, you're home.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank sealevelgirl
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2009

I have been coming to Ocean Point for 13 years, all the way from Toronto, Canada (2-3 days travelling), and it has been worth every mile of the journey! The setting, our room, the food/dining room, the lobster dinners, the ambience, the innkeepers (Dave and Beth), the ocean smells, the foghorns, the lighthouses, the walks winding along the point, the spectular sunsets drew us back year after year after year. I cannot recommend it too highly! ! The memories I have are too long and too many to share, but among the best are sitting on the seawall every morning with our coffee, chatting to friends, watching the lobstermen hauling traps, the pleasure boats, surf, etc. And of course, the heated swimming pool among the trees. the drives and walks around the area, the little stone chapel down the road, exploring the peninsulas, the art galleries, the July 4 celebrations, and the warm hosptality of the staff will be with us always. I have also sent friends from Canada down as well, and there were NO disappointments. You need to see for yourself. I cannot post pictures as I do not have a digital camera, but they wouldn't begin to capture the experience. JUST GO!!

• Stayed July 2008
2 Thank agnes2
Long Valley, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2007

If there’s a more idyllic summer vacation spot than Ocean Point, the southern tip of a small peninsula called Linekin Neck, we’ve yet to find it. As the tides rise and fall throughout the day, the landscape transitions through so many moods. Weather conditions seem to change frequently here. Foggy mornings become beautiful warm summer afternoons; late day thunderstorms pass and leave breathtaking sunsets in their wake. Lobstermen haul traps in the early hours and tour boats can be seen heading in and out of nearby Boothbay Harbor throughout the day. Walking at night, you can spot five lighthouses from along Shore Road. If Ocean Point Inn has its faults, its location at this gorgeous coastal spot makes them easy to overlook.

We’ve occupied several units here on five visits over a span of ten years, most recently in August, 2007. One thing that comes to mind over such a long period of time is how little things seem to change from year to year. This, of course, has its plusses and minuses depending on your perspective.

This is a property that strives to provide an “old fashioned” Maine vacation experience and therefore shuns modern day luxuries like dataports, DVD’s and terry robes. You won’t find spa treatments here or get help unloading your bags from well trained bell staff. Concierge desk? Forget it. Rooms, cottages and apartments are decorated simply and offer little more than the basic necessities.

As other reviewers have suggested, you could make a case for some renovations and upgrades. The structures here are well kept but undeniably old. I suspect that guests who first stayed here several decades ago would notice little change.

But all of this seems to fit so perfectly with how I think Ocean Point Inn wants to be perceived: as a laid back and slightly old fashioned place that purposely resists change, providing an escape from the rat race and offering a glimpse of the ever increasingly scarce “real Maine”. You won’t come away from this place awed by the facilities but images of the surrounding landscape might remain with you indefinitely.

There’s a small heated pool on site with an adjacent Jacuzzi. The restaurant, which we thought was excellent on our most recent visit, serves breakfast and dinner in season. Frankly, there isn’t much else here. But that’s really the point. The main attractions here are the visual images of lobster boats gliding beneath a rising fog or of a spectacular sunset from the restaurant, a light sea breeze on a sunny afternoon or the sound of distant foghorns and lapping waves.

Folks contemplating a stay here should be clear on what to expect. This isn’t a place to stay if your vision of a Maine vacation includes formal attire, luxury suites or excessive pampering. This is a place for people seeking to escape the outlets, the boat-shaped restaurants and the traffic-clogged centers of some of coastal Maine’s better known destinations.

• Liked — There is no more beautiful waterfront setting anywhere.
  • Disliked — Some minor facilities upgrades are due.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank WRC6
Marlton, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2007

I find it hard to express how extremely impressed I was with my stay at the Ocean Point Inn. Turning off of Rt. 96 leads you down a windy, but narrow road through a residential area all the way to the edge of the water. One mildly sharp turn and you’re driving along the bay to the beautiful village that is the Ocean Point Inn!

The Inn has a large variety of rooms, all ranging from cottages to efficiencies, to their Farmhouse Motel, which is where my family and I stayed. 13 of us all together, we took up 5 rooms of the motel and each of those rooms were comfortable, clean and very reasonably priced given the season (late August) and the amenities of the inn. My husband and I stayed in a single room with a queen bed. Included in the room was A/C (not that we needed it!), oil baseboard heat, a microfridge, cable TV, a toiletry basket with great products, extra pillows and blankets, 2 comfy chairs, a table and a dresser. All of the motel rooms have a deck that runs along the length of the building and they all have a view of the ocean (bay? harbor?). Directly in front of the motel buildings is a parking lot with ample parking, and the inn’s fenced-in and heated pool. Also within that fenced-in area is the hot tub.

During our stay the hot tub was in varying states of – shall we say – NOT hot! The manager, during one of his maintenance visits, informed us that this was because they locked the control panel, but patrons kept pressing random buttons which puts the hot tub into sleep mode and then the temperature drops. Then it takes a full day for them to notice this, fix the problem, and then for the hot tub to warm up again. By our last day there management had put a cover over it and informed us that it needed maintenance – presumably due to the aforementioned problem. My advice to the management regarding this would be for them to put a sign up asking patrons to not mess with the control panel. I wasn’t put off by it’s unavailability because the heated pool was very nice, but it seems there has to be a solution that will keep the hot tub functioning, but not require such monitoring. At any rate, as I said this did not bother me. The pool was a BREATHTAKING 80-something degrees during our visit and we spent most of our free time there anyway. It was clean, refreshing and a great source of amusement during our mid-late afternoon down time. There is no lifeguard, so keep your eyes on your little ones!

The staff was very professional and very attentive during check-in and throughout our stay. I was impressed at the fact that the desk attendant stood at the desk whenever someone so much as looked into the lobby! It’s nice to see that kind of diligence. The lobby is located in the same building as the restaurant and bar, and this is where the complimentary continental breakfast is served. Before 7:30, it is located on the back porch of this building. After then it is located in the bar area. The breakfast consists of coffee, tea and muffins…all very delicious. There is also a breakfast buffet available (not sure of the times) in the restaurant for $11.95 pp. We didn’t take advantage of that, but it was very nice to take my cup of tea and a muffin out to the Adirondack chairs that lined the water’s edge and just relax in the morning. We did this several times during our stay. Small warning…the chairs are often damp in the AM so bring a towel to wipe them down unless you don’t mind a damp rear!

There is a considerably-sized dock for fishing located on the property. I didn’t make my way down there, but several members of my family did and it must have been nice because they didn’t come back for a few hours whenever they were down there. As far as I know you don’t need a license to fish from their docks, but that was never confirmed. My brother caught a good amount of mackerel off that dock.

So hands down, our stay at the OPI was VERY enjoyable. I can’t imagine anything that would have made it better – aside from a fully-functioning hot tub. I was very impressed with the management, the maid service and all of the staff. They’re really doing a great job up there and I would definitely recommend this to anyone. We will be returning again!

• Liked — The views, the amenites, the heated pool
  • Disliked — Nothing to complain about at all!
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2007

I had passed Ocean Point when travelling around Bootbay Harbor in Maine. It is an equisite point, and I have always wanted to stay there. I made a reservation with them in August
2006. I had been greatly impressed by the sheer beauty of
the place when we had last drviven by. I picked a cottage as
I was on a budget, so I really do not know how the main part
of the hotel is. Our cottage was reasonably clean,but had an
old, musty, moldy smell to it. There is a nice pool outside,
which we did not use, but it looked OK. There is a nice,
oceanfront restaurant, which is pricey. People come to
eat there who do not stay in the hotel. If you are on a family
budget, you can order pizza at the hotel desk, and they
deliver your pizza, which you can eat in your room or
outside on the dock. There is also a soda machine where you
can purchase a soday fairly reaonsably. You can also take
your food outside and eat in the big chairs tht they leave
for guests outside, and these offer a great view of the harbor
area. You can walk a bit down the road to your left and
you will find a small beach, where children play, and
where you can sit on rocks and watch the ocean, or you can
resax on the rocks. you can also access a dock in ffont of the
hotel and can just sit on the chairs to eat, read a book, relax,
or just enjoy the change of weather. It is a remarkably beautifull area. You can also visit Botthbay Area, the rotating bridge
between Boothbay Harbor and Southport Isand,which
moves, and there are also several islands you can visit
such as Orrs Island, which as drivers access. i recommesd that you visit in late spring when there aren't so many fishing
boats which obscrure your view of Ocean Point.

As far as Ocean Point Inn, they are a nice inn
in a beautiful locale, and they offer a nice restaurant
which has views of the ocean. The people at the desk
are helpfull. I wasn't in the main inn so I can't rate it,
but we had one of the side cottages to save money,
and were disappointed by its nusty (perhaps moldy} smell.
It seemed clean enough.

I would rather come off season and when there are less
fishing boats obscurring the beautiful view. It's a nice
walk down to the town or public beach, and I would
at least take one meal in the restaurant for fun.

• Liked — The awesome locale right on the ocean and the natural beauty
  • Disliked — Motel seemed possibly run down; the musty (poosbly moldy) smell
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
9 Thank singingsurf
#6 of 12 in Boothbay Harbor
Ocean Gate Resort
Ocean Gate Resort
#1 of 3 in Southport

Been to Ocean Point Inn and Resort? Share your experiences!