“Beautiful Property, Harried Hosts”
Review of Riverside Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in East Machias
Riverside Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 East Machias B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My friends and I arrived at around 6PM a the Riverside Inn for an overnight stay and we had also made reservations for dinner that night since we were checking out very early the next morning for a boat trip and didn't want to have to hunt around for a restaurant in an area that we were unfamiliar with.

When we arrived, I walked around to side of the Inn to see where we could park the car and when I opened the door which led into the kitchen I was told that the entrance to the restaurant was off to my right. I said that my friends and I had reservations both for dinner and an overnight and I was told where to park the car and then we were shown to our respective rooms. My room was very large with a huge bathroom and looked very comfortable. I dropped my bags off and went downstairs where my friends were, we were told that dinner could be served to us at around 7PM and so we elected to take a walk along the river which is at the back of the Inn and where there is a smooth path. My friends had been asked, while waiting for me, to pay the bill and when they looked it had both rooms on it, they explained that I was paying for my own room. When we got back to the Inn for dinner I was asked to pay my bill and it was still showing a charge for 2 rooms. However, when my credit card was charged it was only for my room only which was fine. We got seated in the dining room and ordered dinner and afterwards we were asked at what time we wanted breakfast and what we would like to eat. We explained that we needed to have it earlier than they normally served since we were catching a boat from Cutler and we had to be there by 7AM.

We did have breakfast served to us at the requested time and we had packed the car early with all of the luggage and were ready to go.

The Inn is really very pretty and the room I was in was quite appealing, the food was very good and the wait staff in the restaurant were excellent but I felt the hosts were less than welcoming. I don't know if it was because we arrived just around dinner time or what the reason was. I just felt that the owners seemed to be very impersonal.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank judytraveller
There are newer reviews for Riverside Inn

Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

Small bed and breakfast. We stayed one night to see out children at camp. Considering you are out in a rural setting, accommodations are nice. Plenty of space, private, good amenities. We loved the walking path that runs right by the river. It runs for miles. A great way to walk off your scrumptious meal or breakfast. Bring insect repellant. Rocky and Ellen are wonderful hosts. The menu at the restaurant was much larger than I expected and everything tasted great.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Peter S
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Last minute reservation, good communication with owner, great food, quiet room, located on the river and was able to see a pair of Bald Eagles caring for their young 1/8th of mile from the B&B. Ellen and Rocky were very hospitable, decor charming and the price was right.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2012

The Rooms are conveniant and absolutely OK. In the Restaurant we had good food, but the prices are to expensive in relation of quality. The service is not a professional one. In addition they billed a 15% Gratuity for it.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed upstairs in the main house with an attached Victorian bath (very quiet except for some highway noise). I recommend strolling through their kitchen garden and along the river and arriving early enough to enjoy a drink on the back deck. We had a tasty breakfast and the hosts can accommodate an early meal if you need to catch a tour or boat ride. My only suggestion is designate an area where guests can visit together - - their was a small sitting room but it looked like it was being used as an office. Also, a note about cats on premise would help those of us with allergies.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2012

This place was a wonderful discovery 4yrs ago. This time, not only did we have dinner but also stayed several nights. The rooms were so lovely! Both my husband and I enjoyed the company of Rocky and Ellen's cat Lucy and got a chuckle when we encountered their barking couch. This place is a gem that serves delicious breakfasts and great gourmet dinners. I love the outdoors but enjoy good food too! We'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night while on a long drive. We had the upper coach room. The breakfast was amazing. The owners were very nice and gave us great directions on how to take a more interesting route to the next stop on our trip.
The room was alright. It was clean but some of the decor and furniture could use some updating. The most frustrating part was the shower - the shower head is way too low for the average person and the water pressure is very low as well. The room is very close to a highway, and the sound of the traffic did not keep me awake however it was noticeable when we were in the room as we had to keep the windows open for the breeze.

Room Tip: come hungry, breakfast is really good.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
West Quoddy Head Station
Robinson's Cottages
Robinson's Cottages
#1 of 1 in Dennysville

Been to Riverside Inn? Share your experiences!