“disappointing service”
Review of Riverside Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in East Machias
Riverside Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 East Machias B&B and Inns
istanbul
“disappointing service”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I recently tired to book this Inn for july 8th and 9th as we have plans to go on the local puffin trip. I sent an email through their on line reservation form. I received a reply to say that the room we wanted was available but the mail said it was not a confined reservation. I then received a second mail telling me everything was ok but I needed to get a credit card number to them . I was told I could do this in three ways 1. by post - they gave their postal address. 2 by email. they told me to send my credit card detail in 2 separate mails which I did not want to do. 3 my third option was to call. As there is 7 hours time difference between where I live and Maine I called when I got home from work. There was no answer. The second night I called I was told the room I had reserved had been given away. The owners attitude about this was very disappointing (not apologetic at all) and I am rather glad we are not going to be staying there.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank istanbulhills
ellen m, Manager at Riverside Inn, responded to this review, 27 May 2015
I am sorry you were not able to contact us in time to complete your reservation, as a result of your situation I now urge people to call as soon as possible. Sorry for the inconvenience.....ellen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Castine, Maine, United States
Reviewed 27 August 2013

My daughter and I enjoyed a few days together driving and visiting several spots along the Downeast Maine coast. We had a very comfortable room in the quaint Riverside Inn and enjoyed a delicious dinner in the dining room overlooking the river. A pre-dinner cocktail on the patio was a relaxing time after a long day of hiking and sight-seeing.

Room Tip: Twin bedded room on 2nd floor of main house; others are either doubles or queen. The window air cond...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We based ourselves at the Riverside Inn for a puffin trip from nearby Cutler. It is a small B&B with attached restaurant. We spent two nights in the Mrs. Chase room which was large and homey with a big bathroom. The inn has lovely views of the Machias river with a Bald Eagle in the tree opposite one afternoon. The owners, Ellen and Rocky were friendly and made us feel very welcome. There is a very extensive hiking/biking trail next to the Inn alongside the river.

The onsite restaurant was excellent and we ate there every night. Rocky is a great chef and the varied menu is full of delicious fresh seafood items as well as meats and vegetarian options. The wine and beer list was also varied. The included breakfast was always delicious with a number of choices and a fresh fruit plate. On the morning of our puffin trip they were happy to prepare and early breakfast so that we could make our 7 AM trip.

A great B&B in a lovely part of Maine

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kb4003
China, Maine
Reviewed 25 July 2013

My husband and daughter and I had dinner here two nights in a row. It was so delicious that we came back a second night! Service and food are both excellent. If you ask for a table by the window you will get an lovely view of the river and perhaps spot an eagle or osprey.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Summerside, Canada
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Stayed in the Upper Coach room for one night, room was plenty big with a great fresh breeze coming in off the water. Ate at the restaurant for supper and breakfast. Nice setting very comfortable, the air conditioning was nice on the humid summer night. We were told many time that the food was incredible, I think it was hyped a little more than it should of been (don't want to get expectations too high) but it was good and the service was great. The owner's were very accommodating and friendly, had a great stay!

Room Tip: Upper Coach - Good View and Breeze
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My friends and I arrived at around 6PM a the Riverside Inn for an overnight stay and we had also made reservations for dinner that night since we were checking out very early the next morning for a boat trip and didn't want to have to hunt around for a restaurant in an area that we were unfamiliar with.

When we arrived, I walked around to side of the Inn to see where we could park the car and when I opened the door which led into the kitchen I was told that the entrance to the restaurant was off to my right. I said that my friends and I had reservations both for dinner and an overnight and I was told where to park the car and then we were shown to our respective rooms. My room was very large with a huge bathroom and looked very comfortable. I dropped my bags off and went downstairs where my friends were, we were told that dinner could be served to us at around 7PM and so we elected to take a walk along the river which is at the back of the Inn and where there is a smooth path. My friends had been asked, while waiting for me, to pay the bill and when they looked it had both rooms on it, they explained that I was paying for my own room. When we got back to the Inn for dinner I was asked to pay my bill and it was still showing a charge for 2 rooms. However, when my credit card was charged it was only for my room only which was fine. We got seated in the dining room and ordered dinner and afterwards we were asked at what time we wanted breakfast and what we would like to eat. We explained that we needed to have it earlier than they normally served since we were catching a boat from Cutler and we had to be there by 7AM.

We did have breakfast served to us at the requested time and we had packed the car early with all of the luggage and were ready to go.

The Inn is really very pretty and the room I was in was quite appealing, the food was very good and the wait staff in the restaurant were excellent but I felt the hosts were less than welcoming. I don't know if it was because we arrived just around dinner time or what the reason was. I just felt that the owners seemed to be very impersonal.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank judytraveller
Glastonbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

Small bed and breakfast. We stayed one night to see out children at camp. Considering you are out in a rural setting, accommodations are nice. Plenty of space, private, good amenities. We loved the walking path that runs right by the river. It runs for miles. A great way to walk off your scrumptious meal or breakfast. Bring insect repellant. Rocky and Ellen are wonderful hosts. The menu at the restaurant was much larger than I expected and everything tasted great.

• Stayed July 2013
Bluebird Motel
Bluebird Motel
#3 of 3 in Machias
The Inn at the Wharf

Been to Riverside Inn? Share your experiences!