“Such a friendly railway”

Lincolnshire Wolds Railway
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Heritage Steam Railway situated just off the A16 between Louth and Grimsby. Trains currently run from Ludborough to North Thoresby - the return journey takes 35 minutes. Free parking is available at Ludborough station, where there is a shop, museum and buffet which serves a range of home-made fare and light refreshments.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 15 November 2015

We visited this preserved railway today and were greeted like long lost friends. Everyone was so friendly and eager to explain the operation of the railway. We spend a very instructive half hour in the signal box with the signal man who was only too happy to answer our questions and explain the operation of the box. The shop and platform staff were more than happy to stop and chat.
Whilst this may not be the biggest preservered railway operation, it is certainly the friendliest. Some of the bigger concerns could learn a lot from the LWR's approach to customer service.
Would we visit again? Yes definitely. Thabks to all concerned for a great day out. Oh, excellent value for money as well.

4  Thank David W
Philip E, Volunteer at Lincolnshire Wolds Railway, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2015

Glad you enjoyed your visit to the LWR and thank you for writing such a glowing review!

All reviews
"signal box"
"wonderful afternoon"
"step back in time"

Reviewed 31 October 2015 via mobile

We visited today for the Halloween train and fireworks event. We went up and down the railway all afternoon, explored the engine shed and enjoyed a break in the buffet car. Then we watched beautiful fireworks. We have been several times, and it always amazes how volunteers do so much, and how much fun you can have there. A really fantastic place.

2  Thank jayz33
Reviewed 17 September 2015

I went with my wife and grand children expecting a great day out. Sadly, it turned out to be anything but. We turned up to find that parking was in an adjoining field, which we were informed later had been offered free of charge by a local farmer. I am disabled and looked for a designated disabled parking area. This was the first disappointment. The field itself had obviously had a crop removed from it days earlier. The surface was rough and there was one foot of straw stubble still remaining. As I drove my car on to the field the hard straw stubble could be heard scrapping along the bottom and sides of my car. I decided that this parking area wasn't suitable for two reasons. Firstly, I couldn't walk on the rough ground and secondly the distance involved. I then decided to park my car on the verge close by to the event area. The verge immediately by the site had notices requesting no parking. I avoided this and moved a little further on to where there were no notices and parked my car (well clear of the road).I was promptly met by a small man in an airforce uniform who rather aggressively told me, "You can't park their". I replied that I was disabled to which he replied, You won't be able to walk round the display then! He further said, there was no parking allowed anywhere on the grass verge. I did point out that I was parked on an area where there were no parking restriction signs. I also mentioned that the official parking area was unsuitable as far as I was concerned. His response was that it was a donated site. He seemed to think that this point answered the criticism that I had made earlier that it was unsuitable for anyone disabled as far as I was concerned. Due to his continuing aggressive attitude and his shouting at the top of his voice that he was going to get the police (not that there was much they could have done as I wasn't causing an obstruction by parking in front of a gate or someone's property. I decided to leave at this point as my wife and grandchildren were getting very distressed by the situation.

I have two suggestions to avoid situations like this in the future.

(1) Use staff that are less aggressive in there attitude.
(2) Provide disabled parking on a reasonable surface within easy reach of the display.

What should have been an enjoyable day was totally spoil by lack of thought by the railway staff regards disabled parking and the aggressive and inconsiderate attitude by one member of their staff..

8  Thank 0FussyEater0
Reviewed 19 August 2015

Amazing staff that make this happen our trip was great enjoyed by all. First trip on a train for one member of our group. LWR deserves all the support it can get to keep this steam engine running

1  Thank Nikki G