“"Feast for the senses"” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mambal
Singapore
“"Feast for the senses"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

Definitely a wonderful find in Ubud Bali. Nestled amongst the lush greenery, we chanced upon this cosy establishment that proved to be a feast for our senses.

From the architecture of the building to the meticulous food preparation, Five Elements is truly a one-of-a-kind holistic resort that leaves you feeling calm, at peace with the world and totally wholesome.

Our room, Apah meaning water, is spacious and beautifully decorated. There is a good size bed, outdoor rain shower and a stone tub with a million dollar view. Once you step into the room, you don't actually want to head anywhere else.

To complete the wholesome experience, its not suprising that the only restaurant serves vegan cuisine. I had my doubts in the beginning if there would be more than a one page menu. Rest assured you have ample selection from fresh fruit blends, appetizers, salads, pizzas, local & western options and desserts.

The spa and healing treatments are one-of-a-kind that leaves you feeling pampered, refreshed and recharged. Its definitely value for money so don't give it a miss for anything.

Finally a hotel that is right in so many ways. Will be back very soon for sure.

Big thanks to all the friendly staff for making our stay so very perfect.

Room Tip: Apah room has the best view.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Linda_Francis_SIN

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

Located in a remote area 30 minutes from Ubud, this award winning Eco resort is the most wonderful place to recharge. The Raw Food simply amazing! We were so excited to see our meal arrive the presentation and freshness of the food simply beautiful and delicious, and it was so well priced. The staff friendly and efficient. All staff spoke english and always greeted us with a smile and asked us about our day and how our treatments were. The Healers and Beauticians are so gifted. My husband commented how fantastic the deep tissue treatments were, he has never found that elsewhere. The natural products used during the super food facial yummo and the massages were so professional, simply the best. The energy of this beautiful spiritual retreat has been captured by preserving this sacred place. The lush gardens, the river running past the treatment rooms and accommodation, squirrels playing in the trees on our deck, a huge stone bath on our private deck overlooking the river, and beautiful yoga venue just to name a few. Our room was fantastic with both air-conditioning and a fan, piped meditation music, food delivery, a day bed, outdoor/indoor bathroom, lovely King size bed, private decking and a massive stone bath. We stayed 7 nights and the experience was amazing and as a couple we found it to be a truly wonderful experience. We have very fond memories and we will certainly be back. Do yourself a favour reconnect and awaken all your senses!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Girvani
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

There were so many fantastic "elements" to my experience at this jewel in the jungle (not really a jungle, just like the alliteration) that it is hard to know where to begin. If you compare this exceptional space to other "luxury" or upscale destinations on the beautiful island of Bali, this not only comes off magnificently by example, but even somewhat of a bargain, which is a rare thing to say in the upper echelons of luxury travel.

Had a massage with one of their very genuine, superb, and authentically spiritual Balinese masseurs -- a complete contrast to the well-meaning, perfunctory, pleasant but skill-less massages in nearby Ubud. This man was the real thing. Not some Eat-Pray-Love fixture, but truly a sincere expert from a distinctly different culture -- and that in the most positive sense. Be sure to tell any of the masseurs or masseuses if their pressure is too hard; they can tailor things masterfully when told.

I also went through nearly all the rooms and spaces throughout this resort, and I have to say, the architecture is stunning. I've been to the Viceroy and the Four Seasons in Ubud, and the old Amandari, but this is just at a whole other level. The perch over the rushing river is wonderful and, without hyperbole, transcendent.

Had dinner in their restaurant, and everything I tried was very good. Super fresh and super healthy. The salads were particularly extraordinary.

To that one review who complained about the remoteness -- beauty in this setting is its charm -- and about the lack of English -- nonsense, Indonesians I spoke with at the resort spoke very well and one of the two owners is American.

Get a good driver who knows how to navigate the Balinese roads and to drive comfortably to Mambal.

The whole place has a singular charm and is potent tonic to the crassness of Kuta and the crowds in Ubud. It's a beautiful modern take on what first brought the rest of the world to Bali over a century ago. To travel as far as many of us do to get here and miss this place would be a shame.

Room Tip: All five of the rooms are great; see if you want more river view or more pool access.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank WanderLustor
Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

This review is for the spa and restaurant, we did not stay the night here.

As this was my first trip to Bali I have to say this place now exemplifies the fantasy of Bali. It was gorgeous, lush, luxurious, and comfortable all at the same time. The grounds are gorgeous and set right on the river. However, this place is quite a way out of Ubud- maybe 25 minutes into the countryside and through a small village.

The treatment rooms are all set along the river and open air to the river. The rooms are amazingly cool despite the heat and humidity outside- it must be something about the traditional architecture, thatched roof, and a simple ceiling fan. The treatment rooms don't require cheesy spa music, as the river, birds, and sounds of nature are the perfect back drop. Each treatment starts with a relaxing footbath and foot massage out on the terrace of the treatment room, it set the stage for the treatment. I had two treatments:
Invigorating body work with Pak Made- it was a wonderful 90 minute session. One of the most relaxing massages I've had. He had no problem speaking English and was very sweet natured. He used coconut oil for the massage and it was wonderful. Following the massage I hopped in the shower in the treatment room, it is outdoors and facing the river... I didn't want to leave.
Creme Hair Bath- she started by washing my hair thoroughly and massaging my scalp. Once my hair was clean she brushed my hair and began applying the creme. They use a homemade concoction of avocado and cream. The application is heavenly. Once she has completed you are treated to a shoulder, neck, and arm massage with coconut oil. I wish I could take her home with me to do this everyday!
Treatments were expensive, about $220 USD for both. But it was so worth it.

Following our treatments we had lunch at the restaurant, which also over looks the river. The food was fantastic, which I wasn't expecting since I am NOT vegan or a raw food enthusiast. The green curry was fantastic, as was the lumpia and bruschetta. Lunch was economical, about $20 USD for a starter and a main.

The staff were so kind and accommodating. I think we may have been the only people there that day, if we weren't they made us feel that way. I would consider going back to stay if I return and would recommend it as a day trip to anyone traveling in the area. It was the most lovely day.

• Stayed February 2012
5 Thank Melanie S
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2011

Located in a very remote and difficult place to access about 30 minuntes outside Ubud, it is advertised as a healing center. It is more like a mix between and ashram and a hotel with massages that are overpriced almost 4 times what one would pay anywhere else in Ubud. The staff does not speak English, communication is truly difficult, those who do (ie. management) have an attitude. The food is overpriced,strictly vegan (raw food) and there is no wine or alcohol or smoking allowed. To that, add that there is no TV, DVR, minibar or even radio or proper lighting in the rooms, then one must escape as soon as possible. The resturant is always empty and desolate as there are only 5 rooms in the entire resort and the food is not great and way overpriced. Everything is so overpriced that it makes the nearby Four Seasons look inexpensive, while the quality of food and ingreadinets is below average. The hotel charges for absolutely everything even the most basic items, that elsewhere are complimentary at this price level. In all a poor expericence, not to be repeated. Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank topgun327
Tokyo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

This place is cool. Awesome landscaping, architecture, property layout, location and interior decorating. Staff were very cool, very chilled out bunch.
The room was perfectly located on the river, the bath overlooking the running water was straight cold chilling. The bed was massive and the outdoor bathroom was the cat's pajamas, easily the best shower experience you can ask for.
The pool was real nice, a little on the slightly cold side so we were unable to frolic for too long there. That would have been an awesome place to hang had the pool been a few degrees warmer. Not too much to ask I think.
The restaurant was in an unbelievable location, coy pond in the middle of it with a outside deck sitting over the river. Not a bad spot for a breakfast, brunch, lunch, early dinner, dinner or after dinner snack. The restaurant was definitely the what up. The food was even pretty good too for being vegan. It was filling but not in the way normal food is filling. You go away feeling like you're pretty full but at the same time you know you're really hoping you'd had something more proper. The juices were great but unfortunately not cold. It shouldn't be so hard to throw some ice in those bad boys if you know what I'm saying.
We escaped one day out to Ubud on a $18 hotel taxi. Ubud was the most. Had some good lunch, walked around, saw some rice paddies, shopped, saw the monkeys and had some good dinner. I think Ubud is probably the best place for souvenier shopping if you have that in your plans. All the shops are right next to eachother so you can really go at it if you're itching to pick up your friends some cool stuff. If you're used to Thailand-type prices in Bali be warned. Stuff out there isn't so cheap. Beer's cheap though. But unfortunately Fivelements doesn't sell beer does it. If you're gonna get your beer on it's best to do that in Ubud. You can probably get beered in your room if you'd like, I know a guy who did that, wink wink. You just gotta keep that on the low low you heard.
For location, Fivelements is amazing. Right on the river in the little jungle out there with a temple on site and a little village all around the hotel. If sightseeing, shopping, eating, drinking and all that jazz is your thing Fivelements isn't the best but it's not horrible. It's about a 20-25 minute taxi to Ubud, an hour and a half to the airport, 2 hours to Uluwatu, Seminyak and those other spots... You might wanna check that math though for yourself.
All in all, a wonderful stay. We have some awesome memories there. Wouldn't change a thing but might recommend a more active friend to stay somewhere in the heart of Ubud. If you're a chilled out type that wants to avoid the crowds and wants pure relaxation and no outside noise, this is your place. If you want to party at night, drink beers at the pool, grab a steak at the restaraunt and be in the center of everything this isn't your place.
If you want style and some luxury but don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere you might try something else.
If your only concern is comfort and straight cold chillin in an amazing atmoshpere with top-notch staff, Fivelements is your digs!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cally-Man
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

After a a delayed flight and with temper fraying, walking out of Denpasar airport into the arms of my Fivelements driver was a cloud soft landing. Although it was the middle of the night, staff were on hand to greet me and settle me into my Pertiwi sleeping suite with smiles and kindness.
Although I was tired and scared of missing my morning coffee, I fit myself into the Fivelements experience like hand in glove. I awoke the next day and flung open the doors and inhaled the comforting sound of the river rushing by and lay back down in bed to watch the waterfall gush into the river. Serenity.
My morning shower in the open air bathroom, standing on flat slabs of stone, surrounded by river pebbles and dry stone walls flush with moss and ferns was a revelation. "Why don't we all do this?" I asked the snail I shared my shower with as he glided gently by.
Amazingly, the whole food cuisine with a focus on raw food was not as scary as I may have thought. Every dish, every pot of tea chimed with perfect balance and my body craved nothing that was not in front of me and served by the sweetest and most gentle people I had ever met. I knew at that moment Bali would be calling me forever.
A day of spa treatments was my gift to myself, and had long been organised for me by email prior to arrival. It was as if the day seamlessly melted into a series of healing hands and healing food. Every experience was was if taken from a dream, with nurtured perfection defining every moment. I realised with shock how long it had been since I was the treasured being, and so embraced this kindness whole heartedly.
The Fire Ritual that evening was an exercise of gentle love and acceptance. I was both lulled my the chanting and invigorated by bringing into my mind at that moment what I not only needed but what I wanted for myself as well. Kneeling around the fire, giving and receiving spiritual tenderness was almost heartbreaking in its beauty and simplicity. Cracking open a coconut and splashing the water on my face, my hair, suddenly became the most natural thing in the world.
In the restaurant afterwards I was again left speechless by the simple food with complex flavours that my body greeted with relish, eating was not hard work at all, then or at any other time.
Every turn of the head, every step on that lush soft grass, every call of the marauding sparrows was a picture of harmony and loving perfection.
I understand now why Bali is a special place and my Fivelements experience was the only introduction I can now expect for myself. I felt like a child with nothing to worry about and gave myself up to the Divine I had been led to.
To experience Fivelements is to experience the best part of yourself with love and gentle kindness, free from judgement and enmeshed in Bali-time.

Room Tip: Stalk the website on a daily basis and let it speak to you
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank Bannertyne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mambal
The Kayon Resort
Viceroy Bali
Viceroy Bali
#3 of 192 in Ubud
Kupu Kupu Barong Villas and Tree Spa

Been to Fivelements Bali Retreat? Share your experiences!