“Bad Food, WORSE SERVICE”
Review of Davis Island Grille - CLOSED

Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 August 2013

My boyfriend and I went to the Davis Island Grill because we had a groupon deal. $25 for two entrees and a desert to share. Didn't seem like a bad deal and we live quite close.

It was around 7pm on a Sunday, we entered what appeared to be the front doors of the restaurant to find... nothing... no one... a few people to our right playing pool and one couple seated at a table nearby. No hostess, no waitress no one. We thought maybe we were in the wrong part? Maybe this was a bar entrance and not the restaurant? So we left, walked around the building and realized that in fact that was the ONLY entrance other than the one to the kitchen. We would have just left if I hadn't already spent the $25.

So we went back in and stood in the entryway waiting for someone to see us. Stood there looking around awkwardly for minutes. There is no podium, no sign saying "Please wait to be seated" No indication that anyone would be over to help us and no one came. So I walked over to the bar and asked the woman behind it if someone seated people. She did not apologize for our wait, or the confusion, she did not smile, hardly looked at us. She looked bored and bothered by our presence. She then sat us in the tacky dining room.

Outdated is an absolute understatement. I won't even get into it but really nothing matched any other element of the room and the candle holders on the table are a disgusting joke. The "Scenic View" was blocked by giant dark half broken blinds. The napkins felt like toilet paper.

Oh well we said, lets hope the food is good. After looking over their menu, which looked nice online but honestly strange and confusing in person, we both ordered a pasta dish. The waitress exclaimed without our asking, that they have no specials, and they are out of lobster. However they do have "fresh picked" lobster meat. Honestly that makes no sense, their seafood is not fresh.

I ordered the Chicken Saltamboca, "breaded and pan seared chicken breasts topped with pancetta and cheese in a burgundy sauce over Fettuccine" the chicken wasn't over cooked, that's pretty much the best thing I can say about this dish. The sauce was a canned tomato based sauce, not inedible however unpleasant. The breaded chicken was a soggy mush, the "pancetta" looked like thin cut boiled ham and the entire dish was overall bland.

My boyfriend got the bolognaise, it was a watery mess and literally tasted like nothing. The best things we ate that night were the rolls that were clearly store bought and the "House Salad" which consisted of arugula, 1 and 1/2 cherry tomatoes, 3 calamata olives and a balsamic vinaigrette...

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY... I only paid $25 + tax for this meal even though it was billed at over $40... it was not worth the $25... If you want a nice meal in the area for similar pricing, try La Garage...

There are newer reviews for Davis Island Grille

Reviewed 1 August 2013

We ate at the DIG on a Friday early evening. The atmosphere was casual, the service attentive, and the food excellent. My wife had broiled scallops and I had a baked seafood casserole. Both were well cooked and presented. We also shared a great brownie sundae dessert.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

We are local and have seen this place through several incarnations: Muddy Rudder, Bintliff's, and most recently the Davis Island Grille.

Food was good, and prices reasonable. Service was slow. Son #2, who works in the service biz, noted his steak was "poorly plated" (he's a nit-picker).

The restaurant is closing, though, evidently due to issues with the attached condo community. It has a lovely view, so I suspect *something* will be coming back to fill its place.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

Poor food, somewhat tacky decor. We live in Maine and we know seafood. I am 99.9% sure we were served canned lobster - on the coast of Maine!

Reviewed 25 July 2013

After years of driving by, we decided to give it a try. We went with friends, and honestly what got us there was a groupon deal. The food was fine, and setting was quite nice. We went early one Sunday evening, and the place was not at all crowded. All in all, it was enjoyable. We all felt that it might be a bit pricey for what you get, although with our groupon deal we were satisfied with the value.