“Run very fast and don't look back”

Jasper's Motel & Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Ellsworth
Portland
“Run very fast and don't look back”
Reviewed 3 May 2010

Okay here is the story. My family and I booked 3 rooms for one night so we could go to downeast Maine the following day. My father booked 2 rooms prior to my arrival and I booked one that day (non-smoking). My first room was very musty, not clean and blood and body fluids were on the pillow cases, not one case but 3 out of four.

When speaking to the person in charge that night, Virginia, who was trying her best to manage and run the restaruant and the motel at the same time, I found her to be genuinely concerned and as upset as I was about what had happened. I do have to say she was great and tried her best under the conditions she was dealt. (Virginia, you were great...go somewhere that deserves you).

I was immediately placed in an ajoining room and recieved sincere apologies from the person in charge. I went to this room and unfortuately found this room to be a smoking room that had been listed as a non-smoking room. The room was not only a smoking room but was not really clean at all.

During this same time my parents who were in a smoking room had to be moved since the smoke in that room was so bad they had to be moved to another room. My mother is a smoker and she could not even stand that room.

I immediately began looking for another hotel in the area and then went to the front office again and spoke to Virginia. Again she was great given the circumstances, and offered to allow me to stay in any room for free that evening. I did not want to do this, but she stated she would personally go to a newly refurbished room with me to make sure it met my needs. We did do this and I decided to stay. I offered to pay for the room and she refused to take the money for the room.

Thinking this ordeal was behind me and satisfied with the cleanliness of the room, the sheets were clean and there was no smoke saturated into the furniture and rugs I went into the bathroom to wash my face. I reached for a face cloth and there, on the white face cloth, in front of me was a dark colored hair that appeared very much like a pubic hair.

Needless to say I did not like this at all and gave up. I checked the bed, pillows and anything else that I may touch and went to bed. It was as hard as a rock. No sleep at all that night. I may have had about 3 hours worth and if I had thought about it, should have gone and slept in my car.

The next morning I brought the face cloth and its attachment to the front office where I met Roberta, the manager. I placed this item in front of her and made several recommendations that may assist in the hotels future business practices. She was as upset as Virginia the night before and explained she had recieved a call from Virginia the prior night. Roberta was also very professional and polite. Again Roberta, go somewhere that deserves you.

I find fault not with the manager who is attempting to keep this place running but with the owners of the hotel who are allowing this to happen.

Recommendation....run away from this place and don't look back. If this is the only place to stay in the State of Maine, sleep in your car, it will be more comfortable and clean, and use the McDonald's rest room. At least there you may have a chance of finding something clean.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank rmdenb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ellsworth
Hampton Inn Ellsworth / Bar Harbor
#5 of 10 in Ellsworth
Belle Isle Motel
Belle Isle Motel
#20 of 41 in Bar Harbor

Been to Jasper's Motel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!