“This Hampton is a near miss in so many ways...”

Hampton Inn Ellsworth / Bar Harbor
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Ellsworth
Reviewed 10 March 2013

I've stayed at this property several times since it opened and am Hilton Honors Gold (25+ stays per year through out New England). This property has disappointed me in very small ways on every stay. One time it was checking in to find my room had a window open in winter...brrrrr. Another time it was the overly-friendly breakfast hostess asking me FAR too many personal questions about my business travel. Every visit I bring ear plugs to block out the noisy heat/ac unit. This most recent visit, after a long work day, a long drive, and an 8pm check-in, I was surprised not to see cookies out with the coffee (one of Hampton's signature features is warm, fresh-baked cookies at check in). When I asked at the front desk, the woman said "Oh, we're all out of cookies, dear". (She calls everyone "dear", by the way.) When a similar situation arose at Hampton Inn in Bangor two weeks prior, the young man, in a suit, behind the desk apologized, said fresh ones were in the oven, and suggested I go to my room, settle in and he'd call me when they were ready. THAT'S how it's done Ellsworth. Not a major issue but worth mentioning, you'll never see the desk staff in Ellsworth in a suit or even a blazer. On this visit I also got a king room that seemed a bit smaller than normal. For whatever reason, the microwave was on the desk instead of in the cabinet above the refrigerator. Not sure about why it was there but, I set it on the floor so I had room to work at the desk.

So why DO I stay? 1) Cleanest, newest hotel, in Ellsworth 2) Loyal to Hilton brand 3) Location 4) decent breakfast included 5)The company I work for books it and pays for it. If I was spending my own money, visiting Bar Harbor and Acadia for vacation, I'd stay at a B&B in Bar Harbor for less $$, closer to the ocean, the sights, local shops, and restaurants.

1  Thank seedospend
Rick S, General Manager at Hampton Inn Ellsworth / Bar Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your quick feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your loyalty as a valued HHonors member and we will take into account your input as we constantly look for ways to improve our guests' experience. We hope you will continue to stay with us when you are in the area so we can show you the true quality stay you expect and deserve from us.

Rick Savageau
Property Manager

Reviewed 27 February 2013

Super nice hotel. Was not expecting this in rural Maine. New and very clean. Granite and tile in the bathrooms, with a glass shower door. 32 inch flat screen TV. Nice breakfast buffet. Good WiFi. I never write reviews, but this hotel stood out.

2  Thank Chris B
Reviewed 9 February 2013

This is a very nice hotel in Maine. New, clean and very well appointed. The staff was excellent at helping with any questions we had. The breakfast bar in the morning was well appointed with the usual fare plus waffles. The pool and the jacuzzi were very nice too..

Room Tip: perfect place to stay while in Maine. Nice launching point to Bar Harbor, Northern Coastal Maine, D...
Reviewed 28 January 2013

My fiance and I spent a night here during our weekend trip to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. The hotel is along a stretch of commercial road in Ellsworth. There are chain restaurants, super markets, stores surrounding the area, but the Hampton is set back from the road.
The staff at the hotel was very friendly and the hotel was very clean. The rooms are spacious, clean and seem relatively new. The bathrooms are also very clean.
Breakfast was typical for a Hampton, but very nice to enjoy in front of the fire.

The hotel is about 30 minutes from Acadia.

If you want to book a hotel and don't like surprises, then this Hampton is for you. You'll get the Hampton/Hilton service, a clean room, friendly staff and a hot breakfast. There are a lot of hotels in this area, but we didn't want to take our chances and end up somewhere dirty and old.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nick B
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Very comfortable facilities located at the gateway to Acadia. Rooms are very nicely appointed and the bedding is clean and inviting. Staff is fun and engaging and provides a great introduction to the Area.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank OceanP0int
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We relied on Trip Advisor to find a hotel when we visited Ellsworth, ME, in November 2012. We were not disappointed with our selection (based on comments from Trip Advisor). The hotel is fairly new and was extremely clean. The room setup was extremely comfortable with lots of room in the bedroom and a spacious, clean bathroom. We enjoyed our brief stay and would definitely stay at this hotel again as our first preference. The people working the front desk were friendly and snce we missed their breakfast, they suggested a great place to eat breakfast - Martha's Diner - superb. Thanks to Trip Advisor - we had a great experience.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor in a room with a king-sized bed - room was very spacious as was the bat...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 January 2013

Stayed here for a visit to Bar Harbor and Acadia NP. Very friendly front desk staff and smooth quick check in. Room was clean, beds were OK (a bit hard), duvets lumpy...but these are the standard items at most all Hamptons (there are a few that have slightly upgraded beds/bedding). But cleanliness in a hotel room tops any dislike of the bedding. Breakfast was the standard Hampton Inn/Suites complimentary fare. Overall a good stay, good location without having to pay the even higher prices right in Bar Harbor (it is a bit of a drive though), friendly staff and would recommend this location for visits to the area.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ellsworth
Comfort Inn Ellsworth - Bar Harbor
#18 of 41 in Bar Harbor
Eagle's Lodge Motel
Eagle's Lodge Motel
#4 of 10 in Ellsworth

Been to Hampton Inn Ellsworth / Bar Harbor? Share your experiences!