“Disappointed”

Downeast Scenic Railroad
Ranked #5 of 16 things to do in Ellsworth
Reviewed 27 March 2013

For the price and the experience, it was disappointing. The smell that comes in was unplesant. I think they are on to something, but the ride needs to be far more enjoyable for me to say it was better than poor

2  Thank LaPierreGourmand
There are newer reviews for Downeast Scenic Railroad

Reviewed 20 February 2013

We finally did the train ride out of Ellsworth, which was disappointing. The train itself, including the club car, is nicely restored and kind of interesting. I can't say the same for the route actually traveled. Except for one very short stretch across a marsh, the "scenery" is pretty much what you see from Highway 1-a and Ellsworth's High Street. This trip was not worth the money.

Reviewed 26 January 2013

We traveled all the way to Ellsworth for the purpose of the train ride. We went into the shop to purchase the tickets and stood on the first line right by the door. When it was our turn they told us we were on the wrong line we had to go to the back of the store. After standing on the new line again with several people ahead of us I tried to get the attention of the clerk to ask if this was the correct place for tickets. The clerk was rude and told me to wait my turn. The woman in front of me was not only checking out but asking for different sizes, wrapping things separately. Three clerks were helping her and again I was told to wait and someone will be with me in a minute. Twenty minutes later the train blew it's horn to leave and we were still waiting in line. No there wasn't another train. When it was my turn and I went to complain, the clerk told me I could come back the next day. I explained I drove far and he shrugged. I haven't been back and will probably drive a bit further to go on another train rather than be put through that torment again.

3  Thank Jayola
Reviewed 14 October 2012

This is a relaxing and fun train ride. It's not expensive and you'll learn a lot about Ellsworth and Mount Desert Island. It's fun for the whole family and they point out wildlife and buildings as you travel. If you like trains, don't miss this one.

1  Thank Georgia C
Reviewed 24 September 2012

This whole railroad is run by dedicated volunteers who spend many hours refurbishing and maintaining the rolling stock, trackage, and all the rest of what it takes to run old trains. I believe this operation is in its second year and has great plans to expand the service. I really enjoyed my time aboard.

1  Thank jmackin363